Collecting > Customs Community and Group Projects

The Custom Alliance - News and Updates

<< < (2/13) > >>

Ryan:
Curto said that the new daily custom updates were supposed to start on the 7th and it is now the 9th. Come on Curto, you are falling off your game! :P

MetalJedi:
Maybe there should be two people to do updates and not just one.  ::)

tykrazen:
I don't think people really appreciate the amount of work it takes to maintain a gallery like that.    One of my biggest frustrations working on thejawa.com'c custom section was maintaining the gallery.  The majority of images people send in need to be edited in some way - usually the file size is too big, the picture is out of focus or the image wasn't cropped.  This needs to happen to minimize the data going onto the server and to allow the largest image sizes possible for folks to view them.

Add to that the time to make a thumbnail image and then the time to code the html pages and it is an enourmous commitment of time for someone, who is volunteering their time, to make to get a single gallery up.

Until I started doing it, I used to wonder why it took Dan so long.  Now that I know what it involved, I have the deepest respect for what Dan does accomplish.

CHEWIE:
I totally respect what he does too, but look at these updates he's mentioned -

On 7/78 - So be sure to come back next Sunday 8/8/05 for the return of the DCU2005! No, really....I mean it.

On -7/1 -  TIME-OUT! Due to the fact that I'm on my company's annual shutdown week, The DCU 2005 will go on hiatus until 7/11/05. Come back then and I'll continue with more custom Clone Troopers and the new theme I hinted at yesterday.

Both of the above times have never come to fruition.

Then, a few past examples -

3/22 - Sorry folks....I have to delay things AGAIN. Due to an extrememly busy work schedule and the holiday weekend, I'm postponing the mini-daily updates until next week when I get back. I'll resume things on Wednesday. Happy Easter! (NO UPDATE FOR A MONTH)

3/7 - Come back on Wednesday (2 days)  for a new update!  (NO UPDATE CAME FOR OVER A WEEK)

And that happens again, and again, and again.  He's told me numerous times through email that he'll have my photonovels back up on a certain date, and it never happens... yet he updates Rebelscum sometimes 5-6 times a day.

I totally understand he's busy.  It takes an enormous amount of effort and a love of customizing and the customizing community to even start up a site like that.  But, I do wish that he'd ask for some help.  The site just has too much potential to be lacking from updates like it has been.

The only thing that REALLY irks me though, is Dan is usually very good at replying to my emails.  But about a month ago in an email, he told me he was changing all of the titles of my photonovels.  I was shocked to hear that, and asked him why he would consider doing that, and what names was he considering?  Since I asked him, he has not replied to any of my messages; and I have sent him several.  I don't know why he would do something like that and just assume I would be cool with it.  And then avoid answering my questions.  That's the one thing that I have an issue with.  I like Dan and think he's a good guy.  I'd just like an explanation.

I've seen a similar situation though at www.niubniubsuniverse.com with a lack of updates.  I guess it seems that so many people are now having their own hosting services and the "big customizing sites" are losing their pull?  I know the customs section here has really picked up.

:P

Phrubruh:
Yup. Dan's not much on due dates. I'm still waiting for his special april 1st makeover surprise.  :o He didn't say what year though.

I use the site more of a reference library when I look for ideas than look forward to updates. I started my own web site to update when I have something new. I then send Dan a large number of pictures when I see he is posting new stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version