Author Topic: The Custom Alliance - News and Updates  (Read 32956 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Custom Alliance - News and Updates
« on: June 14, 2005, 12:39 PM »
Finally, www.thecustomalliance.com has updated!  I spoke with Dan Curto, and according to him this should go on the rest of the month (if not through July) - let's hope so!

:P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 12:40 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Custom Update
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:20 PM »
Yikes... this site was down for 3 whole days! 

Anyways, yeah - there's been some updates at www.thecustomalliance.com finally!  Mostly just Clonetrooper repaints so far, but hopefully we'll see some new stuff from the customizing community show up that is all new.

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • CLICK HERE TO GET A COLLECTION VERY CHEAP
TheCustomAlliance Updates
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 05:11 AM »
Post deleted by user.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 03:23 PM by JediMAC »
CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE TO VIEW AND BUY MY COLLECTION !

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: CUSTOM ALLIANCE
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 10:26 AM »
I have quite a bit of stuff there actually -

http://www.thecustomalliance.com/cook/default.asp

It usually takes a few weeks or longer for stuff to show up on there.  Dan Curto runs the site all by himself, and has a ton of updates lined up for the next few weeks.  Never fear, your stuff will show up eventually.

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: CUSTOM ALLIANCE
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 01:38 PM »
O ok cool I was kinda wondering lol . I added some of it to that FFURG site also just for the heck of it . This site is still the best one I think though its got better info and help .  ;D

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
TheCustomAlliance Updates
« Reply #5 on: August 9, 2005, 04:51 AM »
Curto said that the new daily custom updates were supposed to start on the 7th and it is now the 9th. Come on Curto, you are falling off your game! :P
"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Alliance Updates... or lack there of
« Reply #6 on: August 9, 2005, 05:56 AM »
Maybe there should be two people to do updates and not just one.  ::)
I remember my dream now.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #7 on: August 9, 2005, 10:02 AM »
I don't think people really appreciate the amount of work it takes to maintain a gallery like that.    One of my biggest frustrations working on thejawa.com'c custom section was maintaining the gallery.  The majority of images people send in need to be edited in some way - usually the file size is too big, the picture is out of focus or the image wasn't cropped.  This needs to happen to minimize the data going onto the server and to allow the largest image sizes possible for folks to view them.

Add to that the time to make a thumbnail image and then the time to code the html pages and it is an enourmous commitment of time for someone, who is volunteering their time, to make to get a single gallery up.

Until I started doing it, I used to wonder why it took Dan so long.  Now that I know what it involved, I have the deepest respect for what Dan does accomplish.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 9, 2005, 10:35 AM »
I totally respect what he does too, but look at these updates he's mentioned -

On 7/78 - So be sure to come back next Sunday 8/8/05 for the return of the DCU2005! No, really....I mean it.

On -7/1 -  TIME-OUT! Due to the fact that I'm on my company's annual shutdown week, The DCU 2005 will go on hiatus until 7/11/05. Come back then and I'll continue with more custom Clone Troopers and the new theme I hinted at yesterday.

Both of the above times have never come to fruition.

Then, a few past examples -

3/22 - Sorry folks....I have to delay things AGAIN. Due to an extrememly busy work schedule and the holiday weekend, I'm postponing the mini-daily updates until next week when I get back. I'll resume things on Wednesday. Happy Easter! (NO UPDATE FOR A MONTH)

3/7 - Come back on Wednesday (2 days)  for a new update!  (NO UPDATE CAME FOR OVER A WEEK)

And that happens again, and again, and again.  He's told me numerous times through email that he'll have my photonovels back up on a certain date, and it never happens... yet he updates Rebelscum sometimes 5-6 times a day.

I totally understand he's busy.  It takes an enormous amount of effort and a love of customizing and the customizing community to even start up a site like that.  But, I do wish that he'd ask for some help.  The site just has too much potential to be lacking from updates like it has been.

The only thing that REALLY irks me though, is Dan is usually very good at replying to my emails.  But about a month ago in an email, he told me he was changing all of the titles of my photonovels.  I was shocked to hear that, and asked him why he would consider doing that, and what names was he considering?  Since I asked him, he has not replied to any of my messages; and I have sent him several.  I don't know why he would do something like that and just assume I would be cool with it.  And then avoid answering my questions.  That's the one thing that I have an issue with.  I like Dan and think he's a good guy.  I'd just like an explanation.

I've seen a similar situation though at www.niubniubsuniverse.com with a lack of updates.  I guess it seems that so many people are now having their own hosting services and the "big customizing sites" are losing their pull?  I know the customs section here has really picked up.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Yup. Dan's not much on due dates. I'm still waiting for his special april 1st makeover surprise.  :o He didn't say what year though.

I use the site more of a reference library when I look for ideas than look forward to updates. I started my own web site to update when I have something new. I then send Dan a large number of pictures when I see he is posting new stuff.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #10 on: August 9, 2005, 01:50 PM »
The problem is finding people that have the skills to do photo-editing and html coding.  Most people who have those skills in the community would rather run their own sites.  Even when you have a site management program like Frank has, it makes it more difficult because you need people trained in those programs to help which limits the pool even further.

That being said Chewie, I'm planning to bring back theJawa's custom section again later this year -- if you have the photo editing and html skills and want to help, I won't turn it down  :P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2005, 11:10 PM »
I've offered my services to Dan many a time. I've been writting html since, oh...before you were born. ;)  I also know sql, asp, java and .net (c# & asp .net). I also have the photoshop skills. He's not looking for help.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2005, 11:44 PM »
I have very, very little skills.  My photonovels are the ONLY experience I have in anything.  And sad to say, that's not much.  Sorry Ty... maybe you and Phruby ought to discuss it!   :)

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 12:06 AM »
Im with Chewie . I sent 4 pics to CA over a month ago and maybe then some. I even posted a thread on here about it around a month ago or more lol. O well  :P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 02:03 AM »
Well CuDa, I'm pretty sure you have hosting abilities, but if not and you need me to post some pics, just shoot me a PM.   :)