Author Topic: Live 8 - Which one is Pink? Updated w/Spoilers  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Live 8 - Which one is Pink?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Just read this on Pink Floyd.com:

David Gilmour made the following statement:
“Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world. It’s crazy that America gives such a paltry percentage of its GNP to the starving nations. Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if re-forming for this concert will help focus attention then it’s got to be worthwhile.”[/i]

This is awsome! Thanks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 07:11 PM »
The American list for Live8 sucks balls.

USA

Will Smith (host)
50 Cent
Bon Jovi
Dave Matthews Band
Jay-Z
Kaiser Chiefs
Keith Urban
Maroon 5
P Diddy
Rob Thomas
Sarah McLachlan
Stevie Wonder

London

Annie Lennox
Bob Geldof
Coldplay
Cure, The
Dido
Elton John, Sir
Joss Stone
Keane
Killers, The
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Ms. Dynamite
Muse
Paul McCartney, Sir
Pink Floyd
Razorlight
REM
Robbie Williams
Scissor Sisters
Snoop Dogg
Snow Patrol
Stereophonics
Sting
Travis
U2
UB40
Velvet Revolver

London is getting Pink Floyd and Cream in the same year... that's so unfair.

Man, how did London make out with all the good acts?

Well...to balance it out...they do have to put up with Madonna.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 1, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Oh my god it looks like hell has froze over.  Man Gilmour got fat.  But its great to finally see these two together after all these years.

Spoilers apply.  Scroll down for the set list:
Breathe
Money
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Live 8 - Which one is Pink? Updated w/Spoilers
« Reply #18 on: July 1, 2005, 07:05 PM »
Here's the update for our Live 8:

Hosts: Dan Aykroyd and Tom Green.

African Guitar Summit
Barenaked Ladies
Blue Rodeo
Bruce Cockburn
Bryan Adams
The Bachman Cummings Band
Celine Dion (by satellite from Las Vegas)  Hold me back!
Deep Purple
DMC
DobaCaracol featuring K'naan
Gordon Lightfoot
Great Big Sea
Jann Arden
Jet
Les Trois Accords
Motley Crue
Neil Young
Our Lady Peace
Sam Roberts
Simple Plan
The Tragically Hip
Tom Cochrane

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 2, 2005, 02:56 PM »
Live 8 on the internet.  :)

Pick Your City

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 2, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Floyd sounded great as usual.  Especially for not playing as a band since 94 or since 81? with Waters.  Waters voice was a little disappointing but Gilmour rocked.  Vocally and musically.  It was great to hear Comfortably Numb with both Gilmour and Waters doing vocals.  I would love to see them finally do a Wall Tour since they only played a few gigs back in 80 due to it being too costly.  I dont expect that to happen but I gotta believe a reunion/farewell tour has to happen in the near future.  And f**k you MTV/VH1 for cutting Comfortably Numb and babbling aimlessly then cutting to commercial during one of the best guitar solos in history.  They hyped this for weeks and seemed that most people were looking forward to this act the most and they cut it.  Other than that everyone looked pretty happy and comfortable on stage. 

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #21 on: July 2, 2005, 07:58 PM »
MTV/VH1 ******* sucks ass, those ******* morons cut Pink Floyd, the Who, and Paul McCartney. They ******* cut half of the "end poverty/starvation" show so they could air their god damn fast food commercials. ******* idiots.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #22 on: July 2, 2005, 08:09 PM »
PS. Before they burn in hell, I hope they get fined a bazillion dollars for airing that Snoop Dogg performance. Nothing better than seeing crowd shots of little 12 year old girls smiling in between close up of Snoop's "mother**** the hoes" or whatever. MTV = Stupid ****heads.

Now that I think of it, they clipped every single performance I was interested in seeing. The Who, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Green Day, etc - all clipped by those ******* morons.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #23 on: July 3, 2005, 01:16 AM »
I hear that. I made a special point to watch Pink Floyd's performance, and halfway through "Comfortably Numb" they cut to a couple of ******** talking.

What a ******* joke that was. I hope Bob Geldof has some unkind words to send their way.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 3, 2005, 10:08 AM »
I've watched Live8 as much as possible from 2PM until the end. I recorded almost all on DVD.

I was waiting for Pink Floyd as much as anyone else in this thread. I read they would be on near the end and thought... "Crikey, they'd really be doing something special then."

I skipped much of the present-day bands, acting as if they're up there on status like PF, The Who, Paul McCartney and Madonna and what else has real class and status.

In Berlin were some real morons on stage, but... ah well.

I was wondering what the Who were going to do, but that was PHENOMENAL!

Granted, it's the titles of CSI and CSI:Miami so they took a fairly safe 2 numbers to keep in touch with the young crowd, but MAN! It still shows older groups out-perform those new ones.

I also liked Robbie Williams, as he is always great with the audiences.

But then, Gilmour, Water, Mason, Wright... Phew... I mean... On 1 stage... God, as said in the audience: PIGS CAN FLY!

If they'd played all numbers all day, I'd have been in pigs-heaven. And how wonderfully precise and great their skills are still, even though they are not that active anymore performing, and also, for the first time in over 20 years, it sounded like only yesterday they last performed together.

Gilmour hasn't aged in his voice, what a great voice still and nothing indicated he was 20 years older then he sounded on The Wall or TFC.

Waters, as evidenced from the In the Flesh tours and prior to that, has suffered in his voice, but still, all together, what a sight, what a way to re-unite.

One could only hope for more, but realistically, you have to agree it's not likely.

It did look that Roger was more moved with the reunion than Gilmour, as it was Roger who voiced his feelings during the performance, and also gestured Gilmour for the hug afterwards.

A great moment in music-history, and a profound day for human history.

Let's hope the G8 listen.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 3, 2005, 11:26 AM »
PS. Before they burn in hell, I hope they get fined a bazillion dollars for airing that Snoop Dogg performance. Nothing better than seeing crowd shots of little 12 year old girls smiling in between close up of Snoop's "mother**** the hoes" or whatever. MTV = Stupid ****heads.

Now that I think of it, they clipped every single performance I was interested in seeing. The Who, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Green Day, etc - all clipped by those ******* morons.

It was always nice to see MTV cut away to speak with yet another fan who traveled to see the show.  Ummmm...yeah.  That's what people do MTV.  People can actually travel the globe.  It's possible in this modern age of planes, trains, and automobiles.

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 3, 2005, 02:23 PM »
I'm glad I watched it on BBC

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 3, 2005, 11:25 PM »
I don't have cable TV (but I am on the net via cable modem,) so I only got to see the ABC performance and they only showed one song from each performer. For Pink Floyd, it was "Money" which was a bummer for two reasons: 1, Waters did't sing and 2, "Money" is my least favorate Pink Floyd song of all time. I love every other peice of music they ever recorded.

Incidently, they censored "BS" by faking an audio mistake. Quite amusing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #28 on: July 4, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Is there anyplace to download the performances, now?  There's a few of those artists I wouldn't mind watching.  Is MTV replaying the thing a thousand times just like every other big event they do?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #29 on: July 4, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I think AOL.com has them.  If anyone can get video of the Pink Floyd performance let me know!

ABC's coverage only showed them playing Money....and the cut to commercial at the end of the guitar solo!!!  ********!
This is the way.

I have spoken.