Author Topic: 50lbs in 6 weeks. Can I do it? Update!  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 50lbs in 6 weeks. Can I do it?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 05:55 PM »
Kevin....that's over 10 lbs per week.

Are you sure that's healthy????

I'd check with a doctor if I were you.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 06:50 PM »
Your math is wrong, Matt. LOL. I was told by my doctor 5lbs is very safe for me. I'm just kicking it up a few lbs. I promise, if I statr to get sick or anything, I'll stop and get medical attention.

8.33lbs a week, over 6 weeks, is 50lbs.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 07:36 PM »
My personal contest:  Lose 15 pounds.  Before I eventually die of old age.  Can I do it?

Yeah, I didn't think so either...  >:(

Besides, what would become of my poor baggy sweater if I did such a thing?  :-\
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 07:37 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Oops.  I guess my only defense would be that my Bachelor's degree is in Applied Math and the last two years of it didn't really involve numbers.  :o  Couple that with I just got home from alert and I'm pretty out of it as it is.

Still, that's a lot of weight to drop in a relatively short time.  I hope someone's keeping an eye on you.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 07:49 PM »
Oops.  I guess my only defense would be that my Bachelor's degree is in Applied Math and the last two years of it didn't really involve numbers.  :o  Couple that with I just got home from alert and I'm pretty out of it as it is.

Still, that's a lot of weight to drop in a relatively short time.  I hope someone's keeping an eye on you.

And to think, they put you in charge of the button that could blow up the world. ;) :P
"This is the way."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 08:19 PM »

I'm certain I'll be fine.

I did see a doctor after the accident in Indy, and mentioned excercise and diet to him, so they know that I had somthing in mind.

I started reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, and I'm considering it. Right now I'm on his 14 week trial thing, to see if I can do it. If all goes accordingly, and it works, this should help me alot.

Kevin

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 04:21 PM »
Another good way to keep your mind off food is to customize!  When I watch TV, my urge it to eat Doritos and lots of soda.  But if I customize, it totally keeps my mind off it.

:P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Progress is well so far. I haven't strayed from my diet, save an accidental bite of bread that I spit out when I realized what I had done. Excercise in various forms daily, and I know I'm dropping weight. I've gotten several comments about it.

Kevin

Stay tuned. Same Bat-Time. Same Bat-Channel!

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 12:01 AM »
boflex

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 10:14 AM »
8+ pounds per week is a weight-regaining disaster waiting to happen.

Just don't say I didn't tell you so.  And good luck.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 12:57 PM »
Everybody's a critic! :D

Kevin

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 03:27 PM »
I'm just going to echo what others have said here...its great you are taking this initiative and losing some weight...but...unless you permanently change your eating habits, nothing is going to stay off forever.  That means learning how to eat smaller and healthier portions.  This is basically what Weight Watchers is and it works great...plus, it shows what you need to do for the rest of your life to keep your weight off once you lose it.

Atkins, pills, etc all work in losing weight but I hear time and time again about once you go off once you stop the weight comes back...

Eating is habit and only by changing the habit permanently will things change permanently

Just my 2 cents, good luck!!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Everybody's a critic! :D

Kevin

Uh, I was gonna write something, but what Scott said suffices.  What you're doing is fantastic, but it has to be something you can go with. 

Grandma had it best.  A little bit of everything and not a lot of anything.  Still works to this day. 

Still, good luck, good choice, best wishes.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 03:32 PM »
I've got to echo Rob's comments about 8 pounds a week being an unsafe goal to try to keep up. I think we're all 100% behind your desire to shed some pounds Kevin, but just want to make sure you're going about it in a safe approach. You'll have an easier time reaching your goal, and probably exceeding it, if you slow down your goal some.

I'm 6'1, and last Thanksgiving I weighed 202 pounds, which was an all time high for me. When I graduated from high school I weighed 154, was the same height, and couldn't add weight no matter what I tried.  I ran track and cross-country, and had insanely good metabolism.

Years passed, I exercised less, sat at a desk all day for work, and the pounds started tacking on and not falling off. Finally last Thanksgiving I decided enough was enough and started doing something about it. Started by getting back into running two miles a day, five days a week. Also changed up my diet, nothing too drastic, cut out soda, smaller portions, more veggies, etc.

In 10 weeks I went from 202 down to 170, which was where I wanted to be. Over time I've increased my runs to five miles, four or five times a week, and have gotten as low as 159, which is really lower than I should be.  I'm between 161-163 now, and still running about 20 miles a week, but not eating as healthy as I could be.

Good luck, don't get disappointed if you aren't losing weight as fast as you'd like. Take it one pound at a time.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 04:20 PM »
You know I keep watching that little butterbean in your avatar, jjks, and waiting for him to shed some pounds, but it never happens.

Little buggar sure is working hard, though.  Pity.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.