Author Topic: Hasbro at San Diego Comic-Con 2005  (Read 11416 times)

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro at San Diego Comic-Con 2005
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 09:02 PM »
Matt...What did you do at C3?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Nuthin' much.  Just incessantly corrected a bunch of the stuff the Hasbro panelists said.  Hollered out my two cents on some other issues as well.  Basically, wouldn't shut up, and was annoying as hell to them.  That's all.  :P

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 10:36 PM »
Nuthin' much.  Just incessantly corrected a bunch of the stuff the Hasbro panelists said.  Hollered out my two cents on some other issues as well.  Basically, wouldn't shut up, and was annoying as hell to them.  That's all.  :P

I think he was asking if you did anything unexpected? That stuff just sounds like a normal days work for you.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 11:47 PM »
At C3 I came in and sat in the back...  I remember hearing Matt but not realizing it was him till later and laughing about his tenacity.  :)  Gotta get your voice heard though man, I'm all for that.  Sitting in the back was not conducive to getting answers (or getting your question heard).  I know mine needed repeating after the question was (I'm assuming) misheard.

Matt I envy you getting to go to this all the time.  :)  Wish I could hop a flight out your way bud.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 06:10 AM »
I'll be there to back up the Colman.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 11:32 AM »

Glad that someone has the nads to say that stuff to them.  It gets annoying as hell to hear the "everything is rosey" approach that those guys love to spew out to the masses.  LOL! 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005, 01:24 PM »
Actually there were a few people (more than a few?) in that room that were basically Hasbro sheep.  They were getting annoyed with Colman and they were basically just lame fanboys lapping up everything Big H had to say.  I just sat beside Matt with a bigass grin on my face enjoying the spectacle.  I was proud to be there and know Matt.  That faded quickly, but it was fun while it lasted :P

Hah, yeah I noticed that too Brent...  I was disappointed at times with the way people would ask things that it was obvious they weren't going to touch on anyway, and which they never touch on, so it felt wasted to me...  People are funny about that though it seems.

Hasbro's a company, and nothing more...  I think it's doing a disservice to yourself if you are going to tip-toe around them like they can't take a criticism or hear what you feel is the truth...  I didn't see any 10 year olds on that panel who would have had their feelings hurt, so I think if you've got a legit beef that it's worth bringing it up.  Matt asked nothing but good questions to them.

Talking to them on a personal level was nice when the opportunity arose.  Got lots of good feedback and insight, and that's probably the best feeling.  I've worked on a lot of brainstorming sessions in a corporate setting though, and while opening things to a public opinion can be tough, I think Hasbro's well aware that it can be informative and helpful so I'm glad SOME people are honest in their opinions.  If others choose not to be then they just waste their time at those Q&A's as far as I'm concerned, and do no service to the collecting community at all.  To each their own though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 12:52 AM by Jesse James »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 09:33 PM »
All that Hasbro stuff should be interesting. Wish I was there. Give 'em hell! ;D

I was at C3 but I'm still kicking myself for missing the Q&A. Entirely due to poor scheduling on my part. :'(
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #23 on: July 7, 2005, 01:53 PM »
I was bumping this thread up so that we can start putting together questions to be asked next week.

Will the Deluxe waves 2 and 3 ship again, or continue to ship?

How can we convince our local retailers to stay current with figures during non-movie years?

What ever happened to the pluch lightsabers?  My 9 month old wants one!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 7, 2005, 02:06 PM »
I'm really looking forward to see what Hasbro is going to have at Comic-Con.  It sounds like we'll get a "peek" at 2006, and I'm curious to see where the line is headed.  From the rumors we have heard, it sounds like we might be going back to an OTC style line, not surprisingly.  It sounds like repacks/repaints will be a part of that too...and I'm ok with that as long as it isn't at the level of the previous OTC.  7 new figures out of the first 38 isn't cutting it.  They could get away with it last year since we had a number of other new items (VOTC, Saga figures 1st half of year), but I think they are going to have to put more work in outside of 7 new figures for a whole year :).  I think they will though.  If I had one question I could think of right now, it would be about this whole Unleashed deal.  Why was it cancelled (if true)?  Wasn't the line successful enough, or was it retail support?  I'm really disappointed to possibly see this line come to an end, with so much potential remaining.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 7, 2005, 03:04 PM »
I really want a movie accurate mace windu elec lightsaber and a darth sidious lightsaber too.
I'd like more of the secondary characters made like ep2/3 owen and beru.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 7, 2005, 03:33 PM »
Obvious question here, but for the record -

"Could you please explain the rationale for cancelling the successful unleashed line of action figures?"  "The line gets hotter and hotter every day and collectors (casual and die-hard) eagerly await new annoucements from Hasbro - so what gives?"

If you check out spawn.com - you'll see that it's just not the SW fans who collect these things.... :-\

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 7, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Question to ask Hasbro:

"Are you really cancelling the Unleashed line as it currently exists?"

If the answer is yes, follow up with:

"Are you out of your ******* minds?"

Then hold them down on the ground and shove Attacktix and Force Battlers figures down their throats (literally) and keep saying, "Star Wars sales didn't perform as well as expected, so we had to streamline!"   :P

It honestly sounds like SDCC's Hasbro area is going to be a massive trainwreck.  Matt, as I said in another thread, I'm counting on you to call them on their bull****.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: July 7, 2005, 07:10 PM »
Matt, as I said in another thread, I'm counting on you to call them on their bull****.

But of course!  ;)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 7, 2005, 07:25 PM »
Please bring a tape recorder, Matt.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...