Author Topic: Upset about the packaging change?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Upset about the packaging change?
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:27 PM »
I've already picked up the previous Lego sets, but now they're rehashing the last few into the OTC packaging design, which looks 100x better than that circus blue crap they had before.  But now I'm stuck with 3 sets that I want to upgrade to the superior OTC packaging.  I'm thinking about just marching into my local Walmart, and telling them I want an exchange, since I haven't opened my older sets up yet.  I already price checked the old and new sets, and they're identical, so maybe I could get away with it.  Is that unethical though?  What do you guys think?  Wouldn't you rather have your Snowspeeder, X-Wing and Cantina set in the OTC packaging instead?

Are any other sets getting upgraded, or is it just those 3?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Upset about the packaging change?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:27 AM »
Hmmm. Do you think you might be able to dump them on ebay, now that the packaging has changed, and get some bucks for them? Enough at least to go and buy the newer versions?

Or, here's an idea - open them up and put them together  ;D What good are legos inside the boxes  :P

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 01:50 PM »
Or, here's an idea - open them up and put them together  ;D What good are legos inside the boxes  :P

Well, yeah!  Never heard of a "packaged/boxed" Lego collector!   :P

I've just been real lazy and busy and have never gotten around to opening up my last few sets.  So I'm hoping I can maybe just take them into my local WM and see if they'll just let me do an even exchange, my blue package for the new OTC one.  They carry both of them right now, and they're both the exact same price, so I don't see why not.  Beats the hassle of trying to sell something on ebay, that's for sure!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2004, 04:08 PM »
I agree Grant.  I really like the new OTC packaging a LOT better than the ugly blue ones too.  So I just took my unopened Dagobah X-Wing and Snowspeeder sets into WM and was surprisingly allowed to exchange them at the customer service desk for the new OTC versions.  Pretty cool of them!  So that's definitely worth a shot, if you haven't upgraded or opened yours up yet either.

I'll probably keep the Cantina set in the old packaging though, just so I can have one sample of that particular packaging design...

Are any other sets getting upgraded, or is it just those 3?

I think the Vader's Tie/Y-Wing set got upgraded too, from the packaging from quite a while back now.  I already opened that one, so I'll be sticking with it.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2004, 04:38 PM »
I'll confirm the Tie/Y-wing set is in the OTC packaging.  I never saw it locally in the blue packaging but it's here now in OTC.  $69.95 though :o :'(  Think I'll wait for a sale on this one, like they had on the AT-AT (not in new packaging).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 12:04 AM »
Well, I've got the easy solution for this dilemna now, for anyone who may want to upgrade to the OTC packaging (assuming your old blue one is still unopened).  Target has finally been getting the OTC sets in, and interestingly enough, they've got the exact same DCPI # as the original blue packaged set.

So you can just buy a new OTC one, and return your old blue one if it's still unopened.  They cost the same, ring up the same, they're the same in every way in the Target computers, so it's an even swap.  No questions asked, and no worries.

I had already upgraded my X-Wing and Snowspeeder, but I'm gonna keep the Cantina set in the old blue packaging just to keep one example of that shoddy design...

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 03:40 PM »
Hey, that's good news!  Thanks for the tip Jedimac.  I'm going to have to zip over to Target soon and try that.  Sounds pretty easy, and doesn't seem too morally unethical really.   ;)

I just wish they could've put some NEW product out in the OTC packaging, besides just the UCS sets.  Closest we came was a resculpted Falcon, and one fourth of that Tie Fighter set.   :-\