Author Topic: Scion vs. Prius  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
Scion vs. Prius
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:46 PM »
My husband and I are looking at cars.  We did a lot of internet research and test drove the Prius and the Scion XB last weekend.  Now, we're trying to make the final decision.

I love the Prius -- Tim thinks it'll take a lot of getting used to (looking down a "tunnel" to the digital speedometer reading, computer display screen always doing something in the center of the dash, and a slight hesitation when you first push the accelerator).  He's also concerned about a couple of dozen reports that the gas engine can suddenly die on you while you're driving.  And it's more expensive.

Scion still gets good gas mileage, has a lot of storage/cargo space, and drives like a normal car.   And it's cheaper.

So, if anyone here has a Prius or a Scion and wants to share their opinions of those cars, please let me know.  Maybe it'll help!

Auriette

When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Scion vs. Prius
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 04:01 PM »
With gas prices where they are, the Prius tends to go for more than the sticker price, which is high to begin with.

I'd go with the Scion. You probably won't have to be on a waiting list for one, and it's likely cheaper. Plus there's a little more room in it in case you need it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 11:13 AM »
Yes, the salesman told us he could have a base model in the color we want within two or three weeks.  But there is a Prius with a couple of options we can live with (side airbags and floor mats, total of $859) coming into a nearby dealer in a couple of weeks, and the local salesperson thinks she can trade for it or something (I'm really mad with the Pensacola dealership for the attitude of the first salesman we talked to, so now they are trying a little bit harder to make me happy). 

Thanks for your comments.  Any others?
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 03:56 PM »
Both are cool cars, but I think it depends on your finances.  If you can afford the Prius, go for it.
My girlfriend has a Scion TC and loves it.  I've driven it a lot and it handles great.  Scions are a great deal considering their price tag.  I've never driven an XB before, but based on the Scion TC, you'll be getting a bargain when you factor in all of the stuff that comes standard.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 05:31 PM »
I don't own either, but I am a car enthusiasts. Here's what oyu face and things oyu need to think about. The Prius is a hybrid and the Rolls Royce of the hybrid models. It comes at a premium but oyu will benefit from the saving at the gas pump. It is not a speed demon I think it takes almost 11 seconds to get to 60 mph which will probably feel like you are goping to get killed entering any major freeway,but it is a great runabout in the city.

Mechanics of the Prius:

Yes it quite it's built by toyota so it will feel solid too. THe hybrid engine is the major concern for me. You will need to replace the cells in 10 years(that's based on average driving) and right now it isn't cheap to do. It cost somewhere in the neighborhood of about 10,000 dollars(right now, you need to keep that in mind) especially with warranty issues.  The main(gas) engine won't give you much trouble they have corrected the issue you spoke about in your original post. 
Next, Hybrids are a mere fad right now just like the SUV fad is ending due to prices so will the hybrid. THere is not enough support in the ocuntry or legislation to support these vehicles at affordable prioces, until we get our energy policies under control this will continue(don't hold your breathe) our idiot.... I mean our president just decided to dig in protected reserves in Alaska.
Hybrid will eventually be replaced by another emerging technology,but GAS is still ruler of the kingdom for the next 50 years.

The Scion
Uggh where could I possible start that is possibly positive.  Do oyu remember when the U.S. automakers were getting pressure form japanese makers and they started producing cars like the chevy Vega or the Chevy Chevette. Well the Scion is the modern day Vega. It's a cheap car made inexpensively and oyu will get what oyu pay for. It has toyota badging(of sorts) but believe me this is one notch up from a Yugo. I beleive the XB is a little faster than the prius but oyu will still feel like oyur aobut to get creamed on the road.

THe Scion is definetly utlitarian and it drives like it. THe XB is definetly geared otward the younger generation why you can put flashing lights everywhere if you want too. Here's a hint if a car offers trciked out gadgets as a selling point it hiding something.....my guess is qquality. THis thing is meant to last about a year longer than a YUGO if oyu can't pay cash for it I would highly recommend you stay away from it.
I love Toyota I own a 05 limited 4 runner I have nothing against the company I just think youneed to take a look at some of the competition.
In my opinion if you are looking at these two vehicles you should also be looking at the Honda Civic. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 06:41 PM »
I agree with considering the Honda Civic, but I'll add to it and recommend Hyundai's products. I've been driving a 2000 Elantra since 2000. I bought it new.
The only maintenance I've had was the timing belt (has to be changed at 60,000, so it's scheduled maintenance), plugs/wires, and I recently had to replace the fuel intake manifold. Plus scheduled oil changes. So, oil notwithstanding, I've only had to put $150 into this car in five years.

I can't recommend Hyundai enough.  :)

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2005, 03:36 AM »
Lots of great things to think about.  We haven't looked at any other cars at this point, but I have a coupon to get a $50 American Express Gift Card if I test drive a Hyundai, so I'll check 'em out.  Now, my mechanic had told us to stay away from Hyundai and Kia, but Inadvertent Imitation, it sounds like you've had good luck with yours so I'll definitely pay closer attention. 

Infamy Of Crete, I haven't looked at the Honda Civic in person, but it didn't get as high a ratings from the various car reviewers (Edmunds, Consumer Report, etc.), so that's why I picked the Prius.  Maybe I should take a closer look at the Civic.

Thanks again, everyone!  We still haven't made a decision yet.....

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 3, 2005, 04:25 AM »
Old Hyundais are to be avoided like the plague. But from 1999 on, they've been better engineered.

Plus, you can't beat the warranty.