Author Topic: How to prevent clone and stormtroopers "Yellowing"  (Read 4576 times)

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
How to prevent clone and stormtroopers "Yellowing"
« on: May 25, 2005, 08:20 PM »
 Does anyone know how to prevent clone and stormtrooper action figures from yellowing? Is it possible to achieve a constant state of pearly whiteness? I'm getting my clone 4-packs by the end of the week and I'm wondering because I know for sure that in only a few years, my clones will indeed yellow in colour.

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
  • NO! This one goes here; and that one goes here.
    • View Profile
Re: How to prevent clone and stormtroopers "Yellowing"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 08:39 PM »
Does anyone know how to prevent clone and stormtrooper action figures from yellowing? Is it possible to achieve a constant state of pearly whiteness? I'm getting my clone 4-packs by the end of the week and I'm wondering because I know for sure that in only a few years, my clones will indeed yellow in colour.

Thats something I'd like 2 know myself.  It would have to be a sun-block type deal, something 2 bloc the UV's man. 

Theres gotta be some kinda sealant I would imagine. 
This is my avatar. Talon Karrde

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Yeah, I hope so because it's not like they yellow only because of smoking. There's other factors like the decay of some glues used to hold figs together (although sith SW figs that may not be a problem; they're sonic welded), chemicals on your hands like natural sweat or anything that could decompose the nice white finish. A lot of factors come into play when looking at what yellows.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I would say try sealing them with a clear coat. The Krylon stuff I got says it has a protective, non yellowing finish.
I remember my dream now.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 04:45 AM »
the yellowing of figures is a chemical reaction in the plastic itself. I can't explain it cause chemistry was one of my worst subjects, but my understanding is the yellowing is an indication of the plastic breaking down. you can slow the process by keeping the figures out of direct and consistent sunlight, not leaving dust on the figures and keeping them away from cigarette smoke.

there is a solvent out there called Goof Off that may be able to take some of the surface yellow out. I had minimal success with it and it probably does harm to the plastic, since it can be pretty harmful to people.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 12:51 AM »
My potf2 stomrtroopers haven't gone yellow.. still pearly white..

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2005, 05:31 PM »
I think it varies by batches of plastic used, since the only one of mine that's noticeably yellowing is the Saga Red Clone Trooper, and not evenly across the figure.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • CLICK HERE TO GET A COLLECTION VERY CHEAP
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 02:00 AM »
somthing you might want to try is a personal steam cleaner ... one of the little hand held kind. I have one and used a little soap and water to get the dirt and dust and the little spots from over the years off and it works great. I did it in steps to make sure nothing was hurt but it came out great . It also helped to warm and soften the shoulder pad on my sand troopers so now they are all back in original looking form.

Again just be very careful if your gonna try this I dont want anyone going G%d da#$ you Cuda you told me how to destroy my clone lol...... just take it in 1 min steps and dont keep direct steam on one spot more then a few seconds.
CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE TO VIEW AND BUY MY COLLECTION !

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 12:56 PM »
I dunno... I have tons of Commtech Stormtroopers that are still pearly white...

I think a lot of it with today's plastic used depends on how much they are "played with and held" due to the natural oils and dirt secreted from our hands.

:P

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • CLICK HERE TO GET A COLLECTION VERY CHEAP
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I dunno... I have tons of Commtech Stormtroopers that are still pearly white...

I think a lot of it with today's plastic used depends on how much they are "played with and held" due to the natural oils and dirt secreted from our hands.

:P

I think your right . Its prob just like a old white car the plastic fender trim and bumpers to the same thing from weathering
CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE TO VIEW AND BUY MY COLLECTION !