Author Topic: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005  (Read 13233 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005
« Reply #60 on: September 2, 2005, 02:55 PM »
An interesting article from Scientific American

Take note of when it was written.

A very interesting read, if not scary to know that perhaps some of the devastation could have been prevented.  However, that being said, how much can you really prepare for a hurricane?   :-\

I finally talked to Brad (Angry Ewok) this morning, and he's alive and well down in Alabama.

That's very good news, I was starting to wonder if things were OK since we hadn't heard from him for awhile.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 2, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Some before and after images of the devitstation in NO:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/new-orleans-imagery.htm

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 2, 2005, 03:03 PM »
Glad Brad is ok.

However, that being said, how much can you really prepare for a hurricane?  

Probably not much is my guess.  

The critical point now becomes whether they actually rebuild the city in its entirety in exactly the same location.  I realize the historical and personal attachments people may have to it, but honestly (and this IS miserably cold to say) if someone (adult) in Canada goes out unprepared and freezes to death, they have little of my sympathy.  If you rebuild a City below sea level, aren't you just asking for this all over again?  Isn't that the point of the Sci. Am. article?  They knew it would happen, but did nothing (or were able to do nothing due to a lack of resources compounded by infighting).  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 2, 2005, 03:05 PM »
I'm glad that it seems alot of the people from these various fourms are finally getting in contact with others and also that it looks like the rescue effort is in full affect right now.  I still can't believe what some of the stories are that are coming out of N.O. of some of the criminals doing what they been doing.  

"I at the point where I hope the order is giving to shoot looters. "

I can’t believe you said that, don’t you think there’s already enough death and mayhem?

Rereading this statement I reliase how bad it sounds.  While I would wish that there are no more deaths and mayhem, order needs to be restore in that city.  I have heard reports that N.O.P.D went in to the Convention Center to regain control in that place where a bunch of hoffic events have been happening but were beaten back by thugs.  Places where rescues are being ambush by gangs nd being sniped while fighting fires.  Order need to be restore so that rescue can happen and a small amount of people are causing havoc.  If those people contuine doing this as a last resort dastric measures should be taken but only as a last resort.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2005, 03:14 PM by Darth Kenobi »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 2, 2005, 03:06 PM »
I read somewhere that there's another hurricane brewing off the coast of Africa.  It goes without saying that hopefully this one doesn't come anywhere near the Gulf Coast.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 2, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Tropical Storm Maria:

Tropical Depression LEE (must have been a TS but downgraded to get a name...):

Neither of these seem like threats to NO.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #66 on: September 2, 2005, 04:01 PM »
I think once the levies are repaied and the pumping system is working again, I think rebuilding New Orleans will not be too bad.  The big things will be retoring order and getting the people out of there.  There have been some really inspiring stories about people helping others, but sadly they have been drowned out by the acts of a few hooligans creating the lawlessness and terrorizing others.

I think the best solution to deal with the looters and gangs is a bullet to the brain.  They want to act like rabid animals--treat them like rabid animals.

I know it sounds pretty harsh, but these animals are a waste of perfectly good oxygen.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 2, 2005, 04:32 PM »
Rebuilding is probably going to take 5 years minimum.  The economy will be far smaller - many residents will be relocating now and never looking back.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 2, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Hey everybody- just want to let you all know that me and my family are safe; we live in Mandeville, which is just on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain.  My house was flooded slightly, but there is no power for probably the next week at least.  We're living in a rented house close to Baton Rouge.  I'll check in every once in a while until things calm down!  Greg
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 2, 2005, 05:09 PM »
Glad to hear it!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 2, 2005, 05:21 PM »
First of all, it's good to hear that so many people are safe and sound, or at the very least, that they have been located and/or treated.  I'm going to be a bit pushy about this, but even if it's 5 dollars, any and every donation to the Red Cross helps out.  As I look around my apartment and see all this stuff that I tell myself I need so much of, and then see people on television who have no more than the clothing on their backs, I feel guilty that I should live in comfort while they are fighting to live.  So, I'm doing my part by making a donation of cash to the ARC, and I hope that everyone here will do so as well.

Okay, now that that is said, can someone explain to me what exactly set off the gunshots and (supposed) gang activity in NO?  I was watching television last night and there was a very lengthy and in-depth piece on the groups at the convention center being upset (and rightfully so, IMO), but none of them appeared to be on the verge of gunning someone down, especially not someone who was coming to help them. 

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 2, 2005, 06:17 PM »
As far as the rooming gangs it sound like most of them could possible be prisoners who were either release or escape.  A rescue attempt is on right now at the Bell South building where 50 to 100 firefighters and they familes are trap by snipers who culd possible already killed 2 cops.  A reporter a few nights ago was reporting how she heard over loud speakers from a nearby prison, "To get out now we releasing the prisoners, we have no way to protect you". 

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 2, 2005, 07:05 PM »
Hey Daigo Bah glad to see you made it. Everyone over on RS is worried about you. Check in over there too. I set up a thread in the reigonal section. you were the only one we didnt know about.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 2, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Good to know Brad is all right. :)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 2, 2005, 08:04 PM »
Hurricane Relief R2-D2 CAP HAT crocheted Star Wars

Win this auction and support the Red Cross.