Author Topic: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005  (Read 13278 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005
« on: July 5, 2005, 02:35 AM »
With Tropical Storm Arlene long gone, and Tropical Depression III poised to become Tropical Storm Bret befour hitting the Louisiana Coast this week, I figured it'd be a good time to make a 2005 Hurricane Season thread...since I don't think we have one yet.

Forecasts point to an increased amount of activity this year. Lets see how it plays out. My guess is that Tropical Depression IV will become Hurricane Cindy within the next 120 hours and pose a threat to the Florida Gulf coast, actually pretty close to Charleys path last year.

Edit: Way to make an ass of myself. Did I miss something? What happened to Bret?
« Last Edit: July 5, 2005, 05:54 AM by -Vator- »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2005, 11:18 PM »
Looks like the surfint will be good on the East coast!  :o

When I lived near Cape Hatteras in NC, I'd track all the hurricanes/tropical storms so I knew when the best waves would arrive.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 9, 2005, 02:54 AM »
Latest tracks show Dennis hitting the western pan handle of Florida and the Alabama/Mississipi coast. Also anticipated to hit as a catagory 4...  :-\

Down here in Upstate SC, Cindy caused some pretty good flooding and spawned a few tornado warnings. I know I was up all night tracking on Wednesday (11:30pm-1:10pm)...I think there was one touch down in the area though. About 9 miles west of Spartanburg, Highway Patrol reported seeing one on the ground, however the SPC didn't count it in its storm reports ( ???), so I question the validity of the report.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 11:09 AM »
175mph SUSTAINED winds with Katrina now...no major change in strength expected before landfall. Good luck to everyone in the path of this monster...she's about as strong as Camille of '69, except larger.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Hope no JD'ers are in Katrina's path.  :o   I have a bunch of family in LA.  Been trying to get in touch with the Baton Rouge clan but I can't raise them -- hopefully they headed west.  ???
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 04:18 PM »
I heard reports or 10-18 feet of water in New Orleans. :o  I really hope those are wrong.  :-\
"This is the way."

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 09:42 PM »
I love New Orleans -- it is one of my favorite American cities.  Besides seeing anyone get hurt or losing their possessions, I just can't stand the thought of that city getting torn up.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 01:41 AM »
I hope for those people that this isn't as bad as they say but I know its going to be bad.  Hopefully this won't be a large death toll event especially with the people still in the city, SuperDome etc.  Prayers go out to anyone there.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 01:46 AM »
I'm reading things that suggest that it will be catastrophic at best.  Things like - it will take up to 6 months to drain the flooding... there will be nothing left to return to, etc... etc... etc...

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 02:02 AM »
Best of luck to anyone who lives in the path of Katrina. My prayers are with you.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 02:54 AM »
Yikes, I can't help but watch the Weather Channel religiously right now.  Scary stuff. 

And like last year in September, this Hurricane's current path projections have it on a straight heading for Pittsburgh about mid-week.  Obviously it'll diminish at that stage, but last year's hurricane caused heavy damage to our area, and was something I got caught up in so I'm taking those days "off" basically and doing nothing but defending my property here as best I can.  My have to help at the little lady's place too though since she was in a majorly hit area last time and I'd expect nothing short of the same this time. 

I hope the people down on the gulf coast are alright...  At the same time I have to prepare for my own potential problems from this.  Scary seeing it coming like this.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 03:52 AM »
That's really weird thinking about Pittsburg getting hurricanes for some reason. I hope all goes well for you guys JJ. Is there a another hurricane headed towards you now? All I hear about is Katrina. Aside from the damage it will cause, Katrina is fascinating. Is amazing storms can get that big. :o :-\
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 05:26 AM »
They're not Hurricanes by the time they reach in where we are, but Katrina's slated to come right up the Ohio Valley and nail Pittsburgh.  The damage they can do here's severe though.  Ivan last year was right after another one, and the 1-2 punch they created was pretty severe.  Ivan pretty much did it all on its own though, and caused massive flooding, landslides, deaths, damage...  I got stranded last year north of the city from about 3:30 to midnight trying to figure out how I'd get at least to my gf's house on backroads since every main route was out of order for the night pretty much.

It was a rough night, and I wasn't home to take care of the house which almost had water on our first floor level...  I was at my gf's which flooded in the basement fortunately, but people down from her had total losses...  They're still cleaning up around here from last year.  It's a mess, and there's a ton of fear about what Katrina could do.  Some are predicting far worse, others less, so who knows.  All I know is I'm not getting stuck out in it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 10:25 AM »
We started getting some pretty decent storms here in Nashville around 11 last night. It's back to being just sprinkles right now, but the real part of the storm isn't supposed to show up until late tonight. Can't imagine being in NO right now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 05:28 PM »
Seems a night can change a lot.  They're predicting a lot less, and the national weather service is advising that we're less prone to damage because our creeks/streams are very low right now due to an unbareably hot summer.  So perhaps not much to worry about.

We've been getting drizzly rain all day Jamie, no storms yet, but just steady rain. 

They were down the road working on a guy's house that rests along the creek on a bend.  His house's foundation was exposed by the floods last September, so the township decided after ALLLLLLLL summer of leaning on their shovels to "get off the pot" and work to get that wall down there fortified against the potential of a flood.

Looks like that's not gonna happen now though?  I don't know...  The news is changing their tune tonight, so whatever.

EDIT:

So the news was just confirming it definitely won't be as bad due to a few factors:

-It's moving a lot faster than Ivan did.
-We've got dry DRY ground up here right now, so they're actually welcoming the rain.
-Streams/creeks are low...
-It's not going to hit us directly since it has a more westward direction right now.

So, whatever.  Doom & Gloom last night goes to praise for the rain today.  Weathermen are among the lowest respected people I can think of.  No job allows you as much leeway I think.

Hopefully NO's able to get back on track and this is "it" for the hurricane season.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 05:55 PM by Jesse James »