Author Topic: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005  (Read 13373 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005
« Reply #75 on: September 2, 2005, 09:27 PM »
It's amazing to me how the "official" statements on the situation in New Orleans can differ so much from what's really going on there.

Check out this article on CNN.com.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: September 2, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Yeah, I was reading that article earlier, Jesse.  Not surprising though, really.  Watching Bush praise the hell out of the FEMA director yesterday for his sterling efforts was most amusing.  This FEMA dumbass is the same idiot saying that he hasn't heard of any social unrest in the affected areas at all.  HUH?!   ::)

Hey everybody- just want to let you all know that me and my family are safe; we live in Mandeville, which is just on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain.  My house was flooded slightly, but there is no power for probably the next week at least.  We're living in a rented house close to Baton Rouge.  I'll check in every once in a while until things calm down!  Greg

Thanks for checking in Greg.  I'd forgotten you were down that way too, so it's great to hear that you're alive and well too.  Sorry about your house, but it sounds like you got by better than most did.  Hopefully it'll clean up nicely without too much trouble...  Good luck with everything.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #77 on: September 2, 2005, 11:15 PM »
The critical point now becomes whether they actually rebuild the city in its entirety in exactly the same location.  I realize the historical and personal attachments people may have to it, but honestly (and this IS miserably cold to say) if someone (adult) in Canada goes out unprepared and freezes to death, they have little of my sympathy.  If you rebuild a City below sea level, aren't you just asking for this all over again?

I feel that same way. It looks like it was really only a matter of time until something like this happened, and duplicating the city all over again wouldn't be the brightest of ideas, I think.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2005, 11:42 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 3, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Well if they do rebuild in the same spot perhaps some taller levees would be welcome this time around? 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: September 7, 2005, 04:28 AM »
I'd read something about a parade in NO here the other day and some guy in a sombrero and playing a guitar...  Well holy **** if it isn't a guy with ties to me in a round-about way, and to Pittsburgh in a direct way.

He's on this local TV show that my buddy works on that just got picked up by a local channel called: Its Alive!.  I forget if I even made a post here at JD about it, but it's basically a late-night horror show on Saturday nights that shows old B-Horror films like the brain that wouldn't die.  Basically anything half-decent in the public domain.

Anyway, my buddy Eric works on that show, and does make-up effects for it as well as acting as "Fritz", who he told me he replaced the show's host's kid who played the character originally.

Well, I guess he and his father had a falling out, and he moved to New Orleans WEEKS before hurricane Katrina (what luck).  So that partly explains why he's so happy to still do the parade.  He didn't lose a lot?  I would assume anyway since I think he wasn't even 100% settled in or had much.

Anyway, here's a story or two where he was quoted.  I saw him on CNN...  Crazy stuff.

Page1
Page 2
Page 3

What a nut, and what a disturbingly small world for me.  Here he is marching in the street...  The same streets where the police gunned down 5 or 6 nutwads shooting at contractors trying to save the city.  At what point do you drop the guitar and sombraro?

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 7, 2005, 06:48 AM »
3 storms in the Atlantic...Maria, Nate and Ophelia. Maria and Nate look to remain fish storms, but Ophelia could hit anywhere from the Outer Banks to the Central Flordian Coast. Let's hope she bypasses SC.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #81 on: September 7, 2005, 07:31 AM »
 >:(

Damn storms!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 7, 2005, 02:31 PM »
My hopes and best wishes go out to all those affected by Katrina...

However, I have a question that I hope isn't too political. What happend to the federal State of emergency decloration? I have heard that the LA Governer declared a state of emergency on the 26th, but was denied, and also heard that on the 1st the federal government asked the Governer to declare a SOE, but she refused. What is the truth?

I also have been seeing a lot of congress people stating that they were slow to act because the headlines they read the morning after Katrina struck said that New Orleans "dogged the bullet." Were there any such headlines? I thought it was pretty self evident that the city was in deep ****. Did I miss something?

Again, I'm not trying to be political, I'm just trying to gather facts.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2005, 03:37 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 7, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Anton, the only thing I can suggest is that the worst of the problems began on the tail end of the storm, when the levees broke.  Because the storm moved slightly east, the wind damage was negligible compared to Gulfport and Biloxi (have you seen those pics?!), so it wasn't a real disaster until the flooding after the winds passed.  As for rebuilding the city- what can I say, it is an older city than most, and has more occupants than cities of this typical size... hurricanes are nothing new, but this level of devastation hasn't happened in modern day.  I think the fact that the French Quarter is still there proves that the city hasn't seen this kind of problem in a couple hundred years.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: September 8, 2005, 03:06 PM »
I know we don't normally advertise eBay auctions in the forums, but this is a bit different...

Looking for a way to help Katrina Victims and get Star Wars toys for it?

One of my on-line pals Rod (aka Gundam at JD) has put a whole bunch of items from his collection onto eBay to support the disaster relief.

CLICK HERE to check out the auctions.

100% of the final sale price will support American Red Cross

So, bid on the stuff!  You get SW Toys and people in need get some help (via the Red Cross)!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 8, 2005, 08:30 PM »
 8)

Rod's obviously got a big heart.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #86 on: September 9, 2005, 12:56 AM »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #87 on: September 9, 2005, 09:56 PM »
For a second there, I thought that sign said 'Oriental Drugs'.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2005, 01:21 AM »
disclosing his weaponry seems unadvisable.  I'd simply say armed to the teeth, and feelin' froggy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2005, 07:34 PM »
Well, Rita is a category 5 and is headed to Texas - 3 day models have whatever is left of it coming right over Dallas....  This thing is so big it might still be a tropical storm or a category 1 by the time it gets here.

Galveston, Houston - better leave now.