Author Topic: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005  (Read 13273 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season 2005
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2005, 09:37 PM »
I'm in Austin, and we're also in Rita's projected path. Lots of rain and up to 50 mph winds are expected this weekend. I hope everybody is smart and evacuates, or at least gets as far away from shore as possible. Houston and Galveston will definately experience some serious flooding.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2005, 10:31 PM »
Travis, I hope you fare well. If you need anything don't hesitate to call.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2005, 11:50 PM »
I hope all you down there batten down the hatches and are ok.  I think no matter where you are in the area you're going to get a lotta rain, and the people on the shore I can only feel bad for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2005, 12:14 AM »
Rita now is now the 3rd most intense Altantic Basin storm in terms of Millibars. Only behind Gilbert and the Labor Day storm.

Starting to get real nervous living by the Atlantic, SC is still past due for a hit.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2005, 06:29 AM »
I send my best wishes to those in Texas as Rita approaches.  CNN.com makes it sound like Rita could be even worse than Katrina. 

Very scary thought, if you ask me.   :-[

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2005, 06:53 AM »
Ships and the University of Wisconsin are calling for Rita to weaken thanks to shear created by an anticyclone to the east circulation. So we may be looking at a Cat 4 by the time landfall rolls around. I however am not entirley sure that the shear will affect Rita that much, as strong systems such as this usually make up their own rules in regards to weather.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2005, 01:55 AM »
Well, I'm looking for a job to the north.  Last year, we had Ivan. This year so far, we've been hit by T.S. Cindy, Hurricane Dennis, and the very outer edges of Katrina. We're getting some wind and rain from the fringes of Rita today.  Anyway, Tim says he can't take the stress of living in Hurricane Alley anymore.  Right after Katrina, I applied at a couple of TV stations in Tennessee (Chattanooga and Nashville).  They haven't called yet, though.  It's supposed to be this bad every year for the next few years.

The leaders of New Orleans/Louisiana have no excuse for not being absolutely prepared for the worst.  I understand they've had flood scenarios based on storms of different categories hitting along the Louisiana/Mississippi coast for more than ten years.  Their request for federal funding to shore up the levees was denied.  Even so, they knew this was coming, or should have.

National Geographic article from last year - very enlightening:
http://205.188.130.53/ngm/0410/feature5/?fs=www3.nationalgeographic.com

Right after Katrina hit, I read an interview with a woman in Mississippi -- she said something along the lines of "I moved here from Florida to get away from hurricanes. Now I've lost everything."  I think this year has been a wake-up call to anyone who thought hurricanes were Florida's problem. They are everyone's problem if you live along the Gulf or Atlantic coasts.

I'm glad that everyone from that area on this board seems to be okay.

When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2005, 02:10 AM »
After initial forecasts of tropical storm force winds and 4 to 5 days of rain for the Dallas area - we didn't get a single drop of rain at all.  It was a little windy out today - that was about it.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2005, 05:53 AM »
I've got lots of family and friends in San Antonio and one of my best friends that I've known since i was about 6 months old is in College Staion, he goes to A&M. He is in ROTC there so he has been doing a lot with the Katrina Vitims and will be doing a lot for the Rita victims. He and I agree Rita is going to be bad, but we think Texas will be better off that LA. They don't have any cities below sea level so the flooding should be a lot less severe. A lot of people have already managed to get out as well. I think that the government has learned from Katrina too, so hopefully this should be handled better. Best of luck to all of you in Rita's path. :-\
"This is the way."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2005, 09:59 AM »
The wind blew a bit here, but we hardly had any of the Clouds that y'all got Rob, and for those playing along at home, I live about 20 miles West of Rob.  We had some winds, but nothing too bad.  My In-Laws were going to leave the Houston area, but couldn't get out of town early enough, so they decided to stay.  They had some wind and they said some rain, but not alot.  They live North and West of Houston and said that everything they have seen shows that the area West of I-45 fared pretty good and that most of the hard hit areas are East.  Even to the point of one side of the Freeway having some downed Trees and Light Poles, but the other side being ok.

Needless to say Friday night was very sleepless for my wife, but yesterday early she got a phone call from them on their back porch drinking coffee and last night they called and said the sky had cleared they were looking at the Stars...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2005, 12:09 AM »
I'm glad you guys are safe and sound down your way.  The remnants are fluttering up here tonight and the rain's about 5 - 10 miles west of my place right now I guess.  No flooding expected, just downpours, and we need the rain anyway.  Stuff's dry around here lately.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2005, 12:27 AM »
We needed the rain too - I was very much looking forward to some thunderstorms and a few days of rain - no disrespect to the people who were caught in the worst of it, but I sure was hoping that the least of it would have ended up here.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2005, 05:41 PM »
The same thing happened here too, no rain, just a little bit of wind. It's actually quite funny, too, as pretty much all local activities were cancelled this weekend because of fear. And they were cancelled on Friday afternoon, when it was revealed that Rita would hit the TX/LA border.

My condolences to anyone who got the worst of Rita.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2005, 06:42 PM »
Right after Katrina, I applied at a couple of TV stations in Tennessee (Chattanooga and Nashville).  They haven't called yet, though. 

Both those cities are good one's to be in.  I lived in Dalton, Georgia which was only 30 minutes from Chattanooga and I have to say that it's really a good city.  There's a lot of traffic but yet there are also a lot of places to go to entertain yourself as well as finding work. 

Nashville I've been to and stayed at the Opryland Hotel which is like totally cool.  Anyways, we really didn't navigate much of the city but I also know that there has to be lots to do there and also a lot of employment as well.

I do hope that the people call you back so you can escape the paths of these terrible hurricanes.  I escaped REALLY far north to Maine....hahaha....no, that really didn't have anything to do with the hurricanes since we were fortunate enough not to get much except rain where we lived.    I moved in with my fiancee finally so that is why I am here. :)

Good Luck!!

My thoughts and prayers go out to those devastated by the most recent hurricanes.