Author Topic: Wave 2 accessory sets  (Read 7275 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Wave 2 accessory sets
« on: July 5, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Did you get 'em? These were arguably the most dificult E1 items to track down and the least talked about. I myself have one complete loose set and half of a carded set. How did you guys fare and what were your thoughts on these? Where did you even find them? My first set came from a Latino Department store. The carded peices I just scored on e-bay.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Wave 2 accessory sets
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Oh boy, it's been a while since I thought about these.  I've actually never tracked down any of the accessory sets - it just wasn't a high priority for me (I still need 4 more figures before I have all of those...)

Were the following ones from Wave 2?

___ Hyperdrive repair Kit
___ Podracer Fuel Station
___ Rappel Line Attack
___ Tatooine Disguise Accessory Set

___ Naboo Accessory Set - wave 1?
___ Sith Accessory Set - wave 1?
___ Tatooine Accessory Set - wave 1?
___ Underwater Accessory Set - wave 1?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2005, 10:03 PM »
They were avaialbe for retail online at a few places so I nabbed them.

They were vastly superior to their predecessors.  Hasbro proving once again that they can take an idea, completely botch it, then show they can do it right, but then cancel the idea because they simply don't "get it" usually. 

These sets, had they come out first, would've sold well.  The first sets with their lame-ass weapons, lame-ass gear...  They simply sucked.  The only one worth buying was the one that had a figure (the droid) in it.  That was fun to buy up for $.99 on clearance.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 5, 2005, 11:49 PM »
Are these the ones with a figure in them?

Like Endor batter, had a Speeder biker trooper in there with some guns, bombs, a few backpacks, and the helmet drumset?

and the Hoth set, with a Rebel Hoth trooper?
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2005, 02:26 AM »
No, those were the Target exclusive sets released during Saga's run...

Another good idea gone awry at the hands of Hasbro, actually.

Of course, I'm in the minority though who actually thorougly enjoyed the little Hoth Tank Droid.  Still, those sets were pretty weakly executed in their own right, especially at their price.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2005, 09:43 AM »
The Episode I sets weren't really that bad, by and large, but as I've said before, kids in this day and age aren't that interested in action figures in general, and a pack full of accessories for five bucks isn't going to be breaking sales records outside of collectors.  Not to mention the fact that the first Tatooine set was pretty crappy, and as usual, Hasbro shipped the first wave of crap so heavily that the second wave didn't even show up at normal retail outlets.

I ended up getting all four of the second wave online from rasscm around the time they were released.  A guy whose name I can't remember was able to get three of them for me from an unusual store (Farm and something or other was the name), and the fourth, the Hyperdrive set for the NRS, came from my friend in Wisconsin who found it at this same retailer, but in a different state than the previous one.  Apparently, Farm and whatever would have a Christmas toy section and this was put out when they did.  AFAIK, TRU, Target, WM, and KB never got the second wave at all.

The Hyperdrive set is really cool, but it's more or less just a more interactive version of the hyperdrive that came with the NRS.  It has five removable panels, and is of a heavier plastic than the one with the ship, and can be installed in the one with the ship as well.  It came with all kinds of little tools (one of which is Lady Jaye's camera from the 1980's GI Joe: RAH line, strangely enough), and was a lot of fun.

The Rappel Line Attack set is my favorite though.  It's probably the coolest thing that Hasbro did out of their own designs for the SW line.  Very long rope with suction cup ends, a backpack that actually fits snugly on figures, and that works the way it is supposed to, a whole bunch of extra blasters (including a Battle Droid blaster, which I was very happy to get), and a pair of cuffs for Gunray (that although they don't fit, are still nice to have for other figures).

The Pod Race Refuel set is cool too, with all kinds of little tools for your Pit Droid crew, and the majority of the tools can all be stored in the backpack that comes with the set.  The "gas tank" can actually hold/dispense water, and everything looks like it came from SW.

The dud in the assortment, like the first, is the Tatooine Disguise set.  The good thing is that you get another soft goods Jedi Cloak, but the rest of the stuff that is included is kind of a repeat of the first Tatooine set, in theme but not sculpt, with a lot of guns, and two backpacks, and no droid.  If there was one of the four sets I would say not to concern yourself with, it would be that one.

Overall, as Jesse said, it shows that Hasbro can come up with a cool concept, put out complete crap in the first wave and saturate the market to a point where the second wave, which is far superior, never shows up, and then say it is retail's fault for overordering/consumer's faults for not buying the first wave of crap, and cancels the concept entirely.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2005, 06:12 PM »
 I picked them all up. I remmeebr there was a Saga set i saw in prototype on a website  (can't remember which one) that had the rebel tech guy. I always wanted it, but never made it into production.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2005, 12:20 AM »
Tattooine set had a couple black pistols in it I liked...  I think that was the set.  They're completely new sculpts and reminiscent of Han's DL-44.  They're different enough that they look nice with customs.  About their only worth though.

The tools the sets had were neat.  Odpening backpacks were fun even if the shoulder straps sucked.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 11:09 PM »
I missed these, and they're the few items I have yet to acquire for the modern lines.

(strangely, all the items I lack are later Episode I stuff.)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 08:43 PM »
I found all of the second wave at closeout at either TRU or KB for 50 cents after Ep. I had gone to DVD. Bought one of each of the first wave which was harder to track down. The ones with the extra Jedi Cloaks I am glad I bought several of because they have helped in customizing existing Jedi, or in making new Jedi up. Kinda of like the Droid Factory Accessory Pack from Saga. I used the dark brown Jedi Cloak on a #3 (I believe) Anakin and that came out looking pretty good.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 05:54 PM »
I still need the Sith & Hyperdrive repair set.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 09:56 AM »
I just bought the Pod Racer Fuel Station from, sigh, ebay, so now I onlly need a carded Hyperdrive Repair kit to polish off my E1 carded collection.

In hind sight, I wish I had never opened the wave 2 set I found at retail since I didn't like the accessories. The only one that was cool was the Hyperdrive set.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Spectre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spirit Of Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 12:23 AM »
I found an unopened case of them in an aisle of the Valley Fair department store on a Wednesday and opened it up. I helped myself to 3 Pod Race Refuel sets, a Tattooine Disguise set, and a Hyperdrive Repair set. I passed on the Rappel Attack set as it looked crappy. I returned on Friday when I got paid again to get the rest of the Tattoine Disguise and Hyperdrive Repair sets but they were all sold out. I never saw them again at retail :(
Looking for EXCELLENT 1/18 scale weapons? Check out Marauder, Inc.
www.marauderinc.com/servlet/StoreFront

1 Stop Shopping For all Your Customs Needs:
www.goodtogocustoms.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 09:34 AM »
I finally aquired my last of the wave two sets, carded. So, now I have a complete carded set.