Author Topic: College Football 2005-2006  (Read 30370 times)

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
Re: College Football 2005-2006
« Reply #90 on: January 8, 2006, 11:12 PM »
Okay, anyhow...I know a lot changes on draft day, but right now the majority of talking heads on the draft day subject seem to be coming up with this:

1st pick - Reggie Bush to Houston Texans
2nd pick - Matt Leinart to New Orleans Saints
3rd pick - Vince Young to Tennesee Titans
4th pick - Mathias Kiwanuka to New York Jets
5th pick - Mario Williams to Green Bay Packers
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 9, 2006, 01:00 AM »
Read (if you can with that USC eductation) my posts over there.  Everyone there knows my alligence since I began posting in late June 2005.

"Eductation".."alligence"..? Pot, meet Mr. Kettle.

Come to the realization (unlike Leinart) that the Longhorns have a BETTER TEAM! 

...and that "team" just jumped ship to the NFL, more or less based on one game where he capitalized on a pretty weak defense, soon to join the ranks of Gino Toretta, Danny Wuerrfel, Chris Weinke, and other quarterbacks from powerhouse football teams that crashed and burned when they got into the NFL.

Thanx for pointing-out my misspelled words.  Got anymore, teacher?  It is one of my trademarks as well.  :-[

Didn't Wuerrfel, Toretta, and Weinke all win the Heisman?  At least Vince does not have that curse working against him. 

Since this is a college thread, I won't comment much on the NFL Draft.  Either the Houston Texans (home town) or the Tennessee Titans would be a good fit for him.  The Titans would be good b/c Vince would reunite with his longtime mentor, Steve McNair. 

Just as long as he stays away from the New Orleans/San Antonio/Los Angeles Saints.

And the Horns will at least have a competitive year next year.  I might actually stay awake for more than two games all the way to the end!  (No more blowouts!) ;D
« Last Edit: January 9, 2006, 01:03 AM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 9, 2006, 12:57 PM »
I see the Titans trading up for Leinart and Vince Young going to the Saints, the black hole of the NFL.  It's where he belongs anyway.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 9, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I see the Titans trading up for Leinart and Vince Young going to the Saints, the black hole of the NFL.  It's where he belongs anyway.

::)
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #94 on: January 9, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Man, you guys still going at it in here...?

Interesting to see the Houston Texans basically tell Vince that even if he comes out (which he now has), that they're taking Bush.  Kind of a bummer for the hometown guy, but oh well.  I wonder how the Texas fans will react when Bush is announced as the top pick?

Also amusing to see Bush & Leinart on the cover of Sports Illustrated for "The Best of 2005".  Whoops!  Technically, I guess it's right, since it says 2005 (and not 2006, in which they goofed their **** all up).

Anyway, as for the game, which I never chimed in on, I'm a UCLA fan so USC is our sworn enemy.  However, in the same token, I usually root for Pac-10 teams, so I was pulling for SC in this one, and figured they'd win it without too much fanfare.  Guess not.  They played one helluva sloppy game.  Not to mention they couldn't tackle a 5-year old girl out there, if they had to.  I think Vince Young could've just played all by himself and beat them 1 on 11.  That guy's definitely seriously talented, and it's impressive to see he led the NCAA in passing efficiency as well, but I think USC's sorry defense definetely made him look even better.  I did hate to see the refs/replay becoming a factor once again, when Vince lateraled for the touchdown while his knee was clearly down.  As much as that pissed me off to see, I figure they were marching down the field unchecked at the time, so with that first down around the 10 (prior to the actual lateral), they probably would've scored during the next several plays anyway.  Probably...

I was pretty annoyed with the end of the game, watching Leinart run the clock out for some bizarre reason.  Hell, a field goal would've tied it up, and after Bush's huge run the play before, they were close to being within range.  A 10 yard pass, with the clock stopping to move the chains, and they would've had a shot at it.  Seemed like SC didn't even realize a field goal would've helped.  Not sure if that was a coaching problem, or a Leinart problem.  Of course, wasting their final timeout a couple plays earlier when they were on defense was a HUGE **** up.  HUGE.

Texas definitely deserved the win.  USC really played a crappy game, and made far too many stupid mistakes.  Bush was pretty much a non-factor (aside from his lovely fumbled lateral).  I still think USC's probably the better team (as in they'd beat Texas 6 or 7 times out of 10), but Texas definitely had their number, and played a better game when it mattered.  I kind of liken it to when UNLV had their undefeated basketball season come to a crashing halt back around 1990, when Duke beat them in the Semis of the NCAA tournament.  I think UNLV was by far the best team that season, but for whatever reason, they didn't bring their A (or even B) game that day, and Duke stuck it to 'em.  Texas beating USC last week felt similar to that.  But hey, Texas is the Champion now, and ended an amazing run by SC, and Bush, Leinart, and friends are going to have to live with that horrible feeling, and terrible end to their college careers, for the rest of their lives...

Should be interesting to see where the cards fall next year, with these 3 guys all moving on to the pros.  Should leave the field wide open.  I think if Lendale White comes back for USC, they may still be a Top 5 team though.  We'll see...

But congrats to the 'Horns.

Now let's try to play nice in here please...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 9, 2006, 02:37 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #95 on: January 9, 2006, 02:05 PM »
I do feel the need to add that just because someone hasn't posted much in any particular sports thread, but then does when they win (as Jason's attesting), doesn't necessarily mean that they're a fair-weathered fan, or band wagoner.

I'm a die hard sports fan, but for whatever reason, haven't been posting in our Sports Forum here too much of late.  It's not because the Lakers are losing (or winning), or because the Angels got jacked in the playoffs, or because the Rams/Raiders sucked this season.  It's just because I usually go too agro when sports is involved, so I've just been laying low and keeping my mouth shut in here.  I still watch the stuff on the tube most every night though, and my wife definitely gets more than an earful when anything sports related excites me, or pisses me off.  But if I ever chimed in on the NBA thread with some Lakers love, and someone called me a bandwagon fan, I'd be absolutely livid.  I didn't post in the Baseball thread much this past year either, but closely followed every game the Halos (and Dodgers) played.  Didn't mean I hopped on the bandwagon just 'cause I got pissed off and ranted in here when the Sox got far too much love from the umps in the Angels series.  So I just wanted to point out that lack of posting (until a big win) does not equal bandwagon in all cases.

But if the Kings or Ducks make some noise in the NHL playoffs, then I'll be all about bandwagoning...  :P

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 9, 2006, 02:11 PM »
According to ESPN.com, Rudy Carpenter led the nation in QB rating (175.01) and Vince Young was third (163.95).  I've heard that Vince led the nation in this category.  Which is correct?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #97 on: January 9, 2006, 02:16 PM »
I never heard anything during all the Championship game hype that Vince led the country in overall QB rating, Neal.  I only heard he led in passing efficiency, which is just how many passes he's completed versus how many he's attempted.  I think he completed about 70% of his passes, IIRC, which was the best in the NCAA.  So I think the ESPN stats on the QB rating there are probably accurate, since I never once heard a peep about Young having the best QB rating as well...
« Last Edit: January 9, 2006, 02:20 PM by JediMAC »

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 9, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I only heard he led in passing efficiency, which is just how many passes he's completed versus how many he's attempted.  I think he completed about 70% of his passes, IIRC, which was the best in the NCAA. 

You are correct, sir.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #99 on: January 9, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I just scoped out the college stats on CNNSI.com, and it says that Vince was indeed third in the QB Ratings.  However, they call it "Passing Efficiency", for some dumb reason, instead of "QB Rating", which is actually what it is.

Vince still lead in completion percentage, whatever you'd like to call that...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 9, 2006, 11:15 PM »
It isn't so much the lack of posting about the team until they win Matt but moreso the type of postings after Texas won.  The bombardment of "USC sucks" and picture postings was enough to make someone puke.  It was reflective of the Texas team and Vince Young not winning with any class.  Had SC won, you wouldn't have seen a single pic out of me.  Bottom line is Texas did not win.  USC lost (and Texas got an assist from the officials.)  Realize that despite what Young did, it took all the mistakes by USC and 2 blown calls by the refs (Young's knee was down so that right there was a phantom TD) for Texas to win by THREE points.  Not exactly what I would call a romp. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #101 on: January 9, 2006, 11:43 PM »
As a Sooner fan, I hate Texas probably more than anyone else here, but I can't fault Longhorn fans for being proud of their team, and posting pics, and whatnot.  After all, they haven't won a national championship in--what was it--35 years?  And now with Young gone, hell it might be another 35 before they win another.  Whereas with schools like OU and USC, winning championships (or at least contending for them) has become somewhat old hat by now.

So, let them have their fun, I say.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2006, 01:45 AM »
Since we are all talking a lot of BS, might as well congratulate the great Pete Carroll for the masterful defensive gameplan that was a month in the making.  Bravo!!!  How did the Patriots ever let him get away!!   :o

And now Mack Brown has the same number of crystal footballs as Carroll and Bob Stoops = 1  (LSU and Nick Saben have the other one)

Hey Sooner fan...........BREAKING NEWS.....USC just scored again in the Orange Bowl....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 01:51 AM by S_A_Longhorn »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2006, 01:58 AM »
Oooh, you got me.  Zing.  Congratulations.  Yep, they really smoked us last year.  How long did it take you to come up with that one?  Because surely, it would be uncouth of me to remind you of the fact that we've kicked your asses 63-14 and 65-13 in recent years, and kept you from winning the Big XII South, much less even thinking about contending for the national championship--because that's all in the past, and doesn't matter anymore, right?  Well, that's exactly how I feel about last year's Orange Bowl, and it's probably about how you're gonna feel sometime next year when someone beats your asses again. 

So please, enjoy it while it lasts.  In-Vince-able indeed.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2006, 02:35 AM »
I think I failed to mention that UCLA whipped the national powerhouse known as Northwestern in the Sun Bowl a couple weeks ago.  We even spotted 'em a 22-0 lead in the first quarter, but still managed to bounce back and drop a half buck on them.  Finished at a respectable 10-2, but those shelackings at the hands of the atrocious Arizona Wildcats, and the once formidable USC really put a damper on things after we'd climbed all the way to #6 in the rankings.  Finished at 16 in the AP and 13 in the Coach's poll.  I guess it could've been worse...

(sorry, just tired of all the SC/Texas bickering in here)