Author Topic: Custom colors  (Read 5842 times)

Offline Ner_vod

• Jedi Initiate
  • HAHA!
    • View Profile
Custom colors
« on: July 9, 2005, 03:33 PM »
I want to know what the best acrylic paint to use because I'm starting to make my own customs and I need to know.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Custom colors
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Different people have different opinions... but I always like the cheap 97 cent acrylics that you can buy at Walmart.  Can't think of the name of them for sure... maybe they are called "Folk Art" or something similar to that.

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 03:01 PM »
I can't say enough good thinks about Games Workshop brand paints (aka Citadel Paints).  They mix really well, go on smooth, and do not chip/flake as easily as the cheaper paints.
The only drawback is the cost, but I think it's worth it considering how much time you end up putting into the customs.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 11:11 PM »
Oh, Man, Gregorbian, if you love citadel, then you'll ADORE tamiya! They're a bit thicker and they take a while longer to dry completely, but  the end result is great! Also, they cost almost as half as much as citadel and the portions are slightly bigger!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Tamiya rules! I use them exclusively now. I find craft store paints are too grainy to the touch. I always had to use a thin cote of elmers glue on craft store paints to remove that grainness feel.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 12:41 PM »
Oh, Man, Gregorbian, if you love citadel, then you'll ADORE tamiya! They're a bit thicker and they take a while longer to dry completely, but  the end result is great! Also, they cost almost as half as much as citadel and the portions are slightly bigger!

Really?  I've heard some good stuff about Tamiya paints but have yet to try them myself.  Are they available online?
I kinda like the quick drying qualities of Citadel Paints (I'm very impatient, which isn't a good trait for a customizer ;))

I use Citadel paints because I used to paint Warhammer 40k miniatures 8 or 9 years ago.  Plus, now that I live in South Jersey, there's a Games Workshop store near me and I pop in there and get my paints whenever I need 'em.  The employees at Games Workshop stores are the most helpful and friendly of any store that I've ever been in, so if you have one by you, I highly recommend checking them out.  They have organized painting clinics or you can just ask the guys for any tips/help you might need because they are all excellent miniature painters. 8)  (at least the guys that I've talked to)

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2005, 06:28 PM »
I'm going to bump this up, since I have a question about Tamiya paints. 

I bought 5 bottles the other day, because I wanted to try some better paint and they had it in the colors I was looking for. Everyone says these are supposed to be thicker.

The paint seems to be much thinner, instead of thicker. When I go to apply it my brush just wipes it off and it won't cling to the surface, it seems way too watery. I wonder if it is the brush I'm using or if I am completely missing something and I just suck at using them. Anyone have any tips on how to use this stuff correctly? ???
"This is the way."

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2005, 06:53 PM »

I bought 5 bottles the other day, because I wanted to try some better paint and they had it in the colors I was looking for. Everyone says these are supposed to be thicker.

The paint seems to be much thinner, instead of thicker. When I go to apply it my brush just wipes it off and it won't cling to the surface, it seems way too watery. I wonder if it is the brush I'm using or if I am completely missing something and I just suck at using them. Anyone have any tips on how to use this stuff correctly? ???

I haven't used Tamiya, but a problem that I've noticed with all of my acrylic paints is that they tend to settle a bit.  Did you try mixing or shaking the bottle to mix up the paint?  I can't see that the brush would be a problem, unless it had some sort of oily coating on it (which I have never before experienced). 

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I shook it like mad, for almost a minute, then I stirred it when it was still thin. And nothing worked.
"This is the way."

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2005, 07:45 PM »

I've never experienced this problem with tamiya paints before aside from the Metallic colours, which tend to run a little, but not too much. Depending on the colours, the thickness can actually vary (From my experience, the flat colours are more thin), but even the thinner ones I've used can stick onto to plastic exceptionally well. One thing I find helpful is to "bathe" your figure first. SOmetimes a figure can accumulate oils and such from your fingers and just plain being exposed; and in some cases, being packaged. You can reduce figure oilynedd by rinung the figure with warm water and using a dish soap to clean it a bit. That should help make it stick.

EDIT: The thing about tamiya paints, also, is that sometimes there's a thicker layer of paint on the very bottom that cannot be mixed by shaking at all. Use a paint mixer or even a chorstick or toothpick to scrape that thick bottom layer out, mix it in a bit and then shake it again. Maybe that could help.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2005, 07:49 PM by ThePerennial »

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Thanks Perennial, I'll give that a try. :)
"This is the way."

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2005, 07:50 PM »
no problem, SLC.  ;D

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2005, 09:46 PM »
Just curious...does the plastic need to be primed in any way for acrylic paint to adhere to it?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2005, 10:06 PM »
Just curious...does the plastic need to be primed in any way for acrylic paint to adhere to it?

Not necessarily - when I am painting a clone, I usually do not prime him, however if I am painting a figure completely or at least for the most part, then I definitely prime him.  Priming the figure allows the paint to go on a lot smoother and it will adhere better to the figure.  Unless you are only painting over a few parts of the figure (like making a white clone into a 501st clone or something) or if you don't feel like repainting the head or some other detail-heavy part, then I highly recommend priming the figure.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2005, 11:59 PM »
Plus, now that I live in South Jersey, there's a Games Workshop store near me...

How far South in Jersey are you? There's a Pearl Arts & Crafts that I go to in Woodbridge that carries Tamiya, I'm not sure how close you are to there, or if there are any Pearl stores near you.

Where I live, Woodbridge is South to me, but I'm sure you're probably a little more South than that...  :-\