Author Topic: about kebcotoys  (Read 1608 times)

Offline rene

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
about kebcotoys
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:27 AM »
Hi, just want to ask if someone knows something about kebcotoys, because I have't hear from them. since you still have the add from them, maybe you could help to get in touch.
Thank you
Rene

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: about kebcotoys
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 04:00 PM »
So Kebco is giving you trouble? I've heard a lot of bad things about them. I've never dealt with them, but I know there are people on here who have, and can probably help you out.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 04:53 PM »
I'm looking into this matter for you. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I dealt with them once, and everything arrived without incident.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 08:32 PM »
There was a LONG thread about kebco in the RS forums.  Basically, they've defaulted on tens of thousands of dollars worth of figures in the "one of every figure club" promotion, and have no intention of ever returning the money.  When you signed up for the club, you basically gave them permission to take as much money as they wanted for pre-orders, and keep it even if those pre-orders couldn't be filled.  Most people were $300-500 in the hole before they dropped out.  Kebco does not answer any form of communications these days except their eBay auctions.  And if you win one of their auctions they won't talk about any other merch they may owe you.  It's the big stonewall.  Unless you can get your credit card company to reverse the charges, you're out whatever you've paid in (until someone starts a class action suit).
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 08:46 PM »
I used to do the One of Every Figure Club when it first started up, and did it for a couple years.  It was good at first.  But then my roommate at the time and I started noticing our packages coming later and later after we started seeing the figures in stores.  And then, we started noticing that all the figures that were "hard to find"  such as the POTJ sandtrooper were absent from the packages that were late already.  We used to call someone named "Scott" to complain, and he would just say things like "we're gonna get more of those in soon."  Then the next wave it happened again, so we called to cancel all remaining orders.  He gave a little attitude about it, saying we couldn't do that with the deposit being down and all, but we demanded it, and if it was not refunded we were going to call Visa and cancel the charges.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 08:48 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 11:27 AM »
Ahhhh, Kebco.

Yes, I too once was a member of the one of every figure club.  I joined up before POTJ and I bailed right around the Clone Wars line, as the figures started coming later and later. During Episode 2, I saw just about "one of every figure" at stores, and always cheaper than what I could buy them for through Kebco.  The obvious exceptions were Ephant Mon and a couple of other figures that were more sparse at retail, but for the most part....I could have picked up every figure I got through Kebco locally without much hassle.  I only missed one shipment my entire order, and although it took a few weeks, that shipment was eventually sent to me.

I quit not because of bad service (It was slow, but not bad).....but because I wanted to actually collect again. I missed "the hunt".

Apparently, I quit at the right time. They refunded my outstanding deposits.  Scott emailed me from time to time to ask if I wanted to come back (all the horror stories at Rebelscum stopped me from doing that), and although I'd rejoin if I thought they were good......I don't think it's an option anymore.  Just sounds a little too scary these days.
Got Clones?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 04:25 PM »
This is just to update everyone at the site. JediDefender.com no longer has any affiliation or sponsorship with KEBco Toys. We, along with many customers are not able to contact them and have received too many complaints regarding KEBco to continue with them. I would advise contacting your credit card company if you are owed money.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 05:00 PM »
KebCo, collectively, are a bunch of rip-off artists.  They've been doing this type of thing since the early days of POTF2, and instead of working to correct their mistakes with their customers, they have a habit of insulting them and, in most cases, not even communicating with them.

If you want to see some amusing stories, do a Google Groups search for Kebco Toys sometime.  Long story short, their little operation started out as an unapologetic scalping organization and tried to gain status as a "legitimate etailer."  As you can tell by their Ebay auctions for products they tell site customers they no longer have in stock and cannot fulfill, they may not be scalpers, but several other descriptive terms do apply.

The best way to get them to talk to you is, honestly, to threaten them with legal action.  Whenever someone on "that other site" would try to start a thread on them in the forums, one of the admins would lock it or delete it, but when those threads did make it more than a few hours, the only time you would ever see the Kebco people respond is if someone was making them look bad by pointing out their business practices.

Best of luck to you in getting your money back, Rene, but I'd honestly advise you to go through your credit card company and/or file a report with the BBB, as Kebco won't do anything but ignore you, just like they've done everyone else.