Author Topic: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)  (Read 49153 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Battle Packs (5 figure sets)
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2005, 03:50 AM »
Target sometimes surprises people on exclusives, but they are the company that tends to be a crapshoot.  Wal-Mart a close second on that issue then.  So far, only KB, TRU, and K-Mart (little to go by there) are reliable with getting in "enough".

Target...  The B-Wing was easy to find, while Y-Wings were non-existant for I'd say the majority.  Some saw the Skiff in droves while others I hear couldn't find one for the life of them.  The 12" Biker scout was rare to many while the Leia and Luke were easy to find...  The accessory sets were pretty easy to find overall, but the cup sets seem like a mix of tough ones to find and some that are relatively easy.

For me, the Target Vader was something you were screwed on getting if you didnt' get in line for the ticket...  The Target Clone I found at numerous stores in good numbers just sitting there, and after a couple weeks they finally were gone.   :-\  It was a weird situation.

About retail's current stagnant state, I agree wholeheartedly with you Dressel, that suddenly Mas Ameda became pegwarmer extrordinaire while the Neimodian has dwindled in comparison.

Not to say I can't find a Neimodian Gunner, or Clone Pilot, but neither are nearly as significant as they used to be, and in my area Mas Ameda's overtaken both in pegwarmer status.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Well - I picked up two Jedi vs. Sith Battle Packs this morning at KMart - opened one up gleefully at work just a few minutes ago and the Ventress left arm broke off in my hand when I tried to rotate the elbow joint.

I'm off to go return it to the KMart nearest to where I work. I'm hoping that they'll let me either exchange it or get my money back. I'm not choking on the $25 price tag again just to re-buy ONE figure.  >:(

This is why openers HATE multi figure packs.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2005, 11:57 AM »
I'm off to go return it to the KMart nearest to where I work. I'm hoping that they'll let me either exchange it or get my money back.

Pete, just an FYI that K-Mart's return policy is that as long as you have the receipt and it is within the return window (I can't remember if this was 30 days or 90 days off the top of my head), they will give you a refund or let you exchange it for the same item.  In late April I returned the 12" Ultimate Villain Anakin/Vader to a local K-Mart (I had bought it about 100 miles away at another K-Mart while on the road) and got a refund, no questions asked, since I had the receipt and it was only three or four days since I had bought it.

I would not think they would refuse a refund/exchange for the same item, since K-Mart's toll free customer line gave me the impetus to actually try and return the Vader instead of hang onto it and accept its nonfunctionality.  Good luck with the return!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2005, 12:39 PM »
Go figure, the only two sets I want are store exclusives.

Definitely want the 501st set - thank god I have a K-Mart within driving distance.  Should be somewhat easy to track one down if I can keep the scalpers in line.  Ben may have to hide some for me when he's out and about!   :P

And who doesn't want the Target clonie set?!  This one will be a bitch.  I NEVER found a Target clone (many thanks to JD for helping me out with that one)!

I was going to buy the Jedi vs. Separtist set, but I really don't want to pay $22 for the Obi-Wan armor and Asajj...seems like a waste when I already have the other figures.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Well - no questions asked they took the item back since it was clearly broken. The guy let me go check to see if they had any more in stock in the Toy Section and when I came back empty handed he just gave me the $25 and I was on my way.

I opened up the second one when I got back from lunch and this one is fine. So now all I need is a MIB one.

I really like the Ventress, Anakin and Obi-Wan figures in this pack! Definitely worth getting the set for.

Yoda and Grievous are just the same figures over again.

The name for this set is odd - Grievous and Ventress aren't really Sith - Ventress is more like a Dark Jedi and Grievous is a droid who has been trained in the use of a lightsaber by a Sith Lord. Hardly makes him "sith".

This set should have been called "Jedi vs. Seperatists" and then the next set should have included Dooku instead of Jango and that could have been called "Jedi vs. Sith" - it would have made A LOT more sense.

It's too bad the OT Battle Packs are turning out to look like such turds. The Rebels vs. Empire and Hoth Assault sets are both pretty weak. At least for the Hoth set if they had given us three Saga SnowTroopers it would have been better.

The Jedi Temple Assault Set looks to be the only other set worth having. Wish they had a fourth 501st. Did anyone hear anything more about the "Hunt for Yoda" set - I thought we'd see that one - three Clone #6 repainted to be ShockTroopers, Emperor and Yoda all on a Senate Chamber backdrop - that would be a nice set.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, here are all of the Battle Packs so far:

General Release:
Jedi vs. Sith (out now)
Jedi vs. Seperatists
Rebels vs. Empire

Exclusives
Jedi Temple Assault (KMart)
Hoth Assault (TRU)
Clone Attack on Coruscant (Target)

????
Emperor's Throne Room
Hunt for Yoda

Did I forget any?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2005, 05:22 PM »
Good to hear that the return went smoothly, Pete.  I was just at a K-Mart today and they had just put out four of the Battle Packs.  In a rather unprecedented move for me, I actually didn't buy one (yet).   ;D

As far as the Battle Packs themselves go, it looks like you've got them all listed, although the "Hunt for Yoda" set isn't a BP as much as it is suspected of being a Deluxe Clone 3 pack repainted as the Shocktroopers from the Senate/Mustafar for TRU.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Okay, so sell me on this Battle Pack...
« Reply #171 on: July 18, 2005, 11:52 PM »
The more I think about that Battle Pack, the more curious I am as to whether I should actually drop the 20 bucks and change on it, since there are apparently "new" figures in it, and the articulation on the Anakin didn't look too bad at all at a cursory glance. 

So, I'm asking for honest responses and, if possible, an indepth review of the set and whether or not, for me, a loose collector, it would be worth it to pick this up and try to pass the Yoda and Grievous off to someone else who might want them down the line.

Points I'd like cleared up:

-Who is actually a new sculpt and who is not

-Are the older sculpts tweaked in such a way that it improves/weakens the original sculpt

-Points of articulation

-How well the Clone armor fits on Obi-Wan and how ridiculous it does or doesn't look when he's wearing it

So, basically, is it worth me buying the set just for the Ventress (which by all accounts seems to be a repaint), the Anakin and the Obi-Wan?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2005, 02:27 AM »
In-depth Review?  Hell no!  Those are for my dayjob. :)

But i'll give a rundown of what you wanna know for sure Dr. P.

-Yoda & Grievous...  If you have the figures these 2 are descendant of, you have these figures, or even better versions of them as the paint aps of these 2 are in doubt as far as quality.

-Anakin...  Face sculpt actually looks ok, but it's all about the paint aps.  Mine appears to have brown lipstick on.  The sculpt overall is good though, with lots of detail.  His ripped pants, his torn up undershirt...  He is a nicely sculpted figure.  His bionic arm is particularly nice with it actually being "hollow" in the center with lots and lots of detail...

His left arm is everything a bare-arm could be, and shows the type of arm that Dagobah Luke SHOULD have had instead of the 2 pre-posed sets.  Nicely hidden articulation on bare arms is unheard of, but Hasbro nailed it.

The bent ankles ruin the Anakin for me, but he does have ball/socket knees.  give him straight-posed legs in their sculpt though, and the articulation would've easily yielded action poses, and I'd be a completely 100% satisfied customer with the Anakin.  paint can be touched up, but bent ankles cannot.  :(

-Obi-Wan...  Not bad if you can get past the holes for the armor that are on his legs, arms, shoulders, etc...  The body is just a cape with the armor stuck on it.  Very lame.  The armor overall looks like ****, to be perfectly blunt, and the only thing that fits the figure well is his helmet.  The rest of the armor's a waste.

The lance is really great...  Rubbery, but not terribly so, and so it's kinda neat. 

BTW, both Ani and Obi's sabers are kind of lamely painted.

Obi's articulation is nice with ball/socket ankles, angle-cut elbows, wrist joints, ball/socket shoulders...  Obi-Wan turned out nice.

Anakin and Obi-Wan BOTH have non-poseable right legs however.  Due I'd say to the action feature.  I forgot to mention that on Anakin.  Another major drawback to both figures unfortunately, so beyond the ankles on Anakin tack on his right leg.

-Assajj is a completely new sculpt, and seems more accurate to her cartoon without looking too cartoony.  She looks "real" but far better to her CW figure.  Her sabers are single-piece, but still interlock to form a saber staff like the CW Assajj figure.

Assajj has holsters for her sabers, however she can't use them since the blades don't come off her sabers.  Very stupid really, to sculpt a figure from scratch like that, include the holsters for the sabers, then not re-use teh 2-piece saber mold as it was, but rather mold it solid with the blades.  Dumb.

Assajj lacks articulation that the CW version had.  She has no wrist joints, just angle-cuts at her elbows.  The CW's a better figure for poses.  The 5-pack also lacks the removable cloak the original figure had... 

To be honest, the 2 Assajj figs are a draw actually.  The 5-pack's more accurate to the toon, however she doesn't accept as many cool poses as the first Assajj...  I wouldn't say she'd make me wanna buy the set though.  The Obi-Wan's closer to perfection really.

No figure in the set's perfect.  Too bad, as they came close with the 3 figures in the set people want (Obi, Ani, Assajj).  Oh well...  Hope that little breakdown of the set helped ya some.  It's a bit rambling, but I was working fast on this one. ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Omega Squad Commander

• Jedi Initiate
  • LatinAmerica FanForce PRJO HC * CFAPR Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2005, 01:30 PM »
Did anyone notice the "removable helmet" in the trooper 5-pack?

Are all of the removable helmet version?

TheForce.net LatinAmerica FanForce Puerto Rico Jedi Outcast High Council Member
Club de Figuras de Acción de Puerto Rico

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Did anyone notice the "removable helmet" in the trooper 5-pack?

You mean from this picture?

Don't get your hopes up, the packaging shown is just a prototype at this point.

In fact, the text on the front of the Clone Trooper 5-Pack Mock-Up used in the photos is the same as the Rebels Vs. Empire pack.  The removable Helmet it is talking about on the box is for the Darth Vader in that set.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Omega Squad Commander

• Jedi Initiate
  • LatinAmerica FanForce PRJO HC * CFAPR Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2005, 12:12 PM »
[/size]Did anyone notice the "removable helmet" in the trooper 5-pack?

[/size]You mean from this picture?

Don't get your hopes up, the packaging shown is just a prototype at this point.

In fact, the text on the front of the Clone Trooper 5-Pack Mock-Up used in the photos is the same as the Rebels Vs. Empire pack.  The removable Helmet it is talking about on the box is for the Darth Vader in that set.

Jeff
Man, you open my eyes and hurts.... I want to cry. :'(

TheForce.net LatinAmerica FanForce Puerto Rico Jedi Outcast High Council Member
Club de Figuras de Acción de Puerto Rico

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2005, 12:31 AM »
Jeff's ruined my hopes and dreams too.   :'(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Our local Wal-Mart is in the middle of its toy reset, and had several of the Jedi vs. Sith packs on the shelves yesterday.  They also had a shelf tag out for the Evolutions sets, but no sets out yet.  Might have to keep checking back there.  The basic figure pegs were jammed full of the usual pegwarming suspects.  It looks like Star Wars will continue to have a pretty large aisle presence at Wal-mart for awhile yet though.  Not a lot of product out yet, but a number of pegs for the stuff that should be getting put out sometime (hopefully).

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Okay, I saw the Jedi vs. Sith pack at Target today, and they wanted $25 for it! Anybody know what that's all about?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Target lately is charging whatever it wants for stuff.  AT-RT were 19.99 at first instead of 14.99
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.