Author Topic: EP3 Clonetroopers  (Read 67099 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
EP3 Clonetroopers
« on: September 6, 2004, 01:26 AM »
So what do you think Hasbro's gonna do about Clones this go-round?

From what I'm aware of, the Clone's body doesn't change at all (does it?) but the helmet becomes a hybrid of a Stormie's and Clone's... 

I'm very anxious to see what kind of Clones are available to us at retail with the next movie.  THe last was disappointing to me, on all levels.

The 3-packs weren't poseable and felt relatively "cheap" to me...  The original Clones (all of them) were pre-posed, had articulation with really no use, and the Clone Pilot had that damned lean to it.

The SA Clone is a great figure, but obviously so horribly limited...  Will it ever see the light of day in #'s that would satiate the masses?  We may  never see it again, sadly, for whatever illogical reason Hasbro could give us.

So will E3 be as big a flop for Clones?  I'm hoping not...  I'm hoping we see simply the SA Clone with a new head.  Hell I'd take it with the old head too, but the new Head as well...  Maybe pack both heads in even, I don't know.

I just hope we SEE this figure, and not a pre-posed wonder like the last film showed us.

I wont' even begin on the Biker Clone...  Yeck!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Clones.....
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2004, 11:26 AM »
From what Hasbro has said, we need not worry about Clones this time. That to me is a good sign.

Here's hoping for around 300 troops by this time next year!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2004, 01:37 PM »
i'll be lucky to find 5. i don't care what hasbro says, they can never make enough.

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2004, 03:47 AM »
From what Hasbro has said, we need not worry about Clones this time. That to me is a good sign.

Here's hoping for around 300 troops by this time next year!

I hope you're right, but my personal opinion is that everything that comes out of the mouth of Hasbro is what you'd expect to come out of their asses. We damn well shouldn't have to worry about clones. But I ain't counting on it coming true.

Totally agree with Jesse that the 3-pack clones felt cheap, but since we also got the SA Clone to balance it out, I found them to be great filler. They looked great riding in the Gunship as background clones while the SA Clones served as "hero" figures for me to pose. I'd be up for another batch of these if done in conjunction with:

At least one type of revised SA Clone. There's no excuse for not retooling that figure. That should be a Wave 1 release. If anything to run the risk of overordering/producing at movie release time, this is the figure. Instead we'll probably see a million Tion Meddons, who looks like a pegwarmer as a preview figure even before he's announced/finished sculpting. "Helpful Alien" indeed. Helpful at clogging the shelves.  ::) Nice robes. Did Lucasfilm buy some Star Trek costumes off eBay?

Also a Commander Cody. It bugs me to no end they've failed to give us a removable helmet clone done properly (speederbike one doesn't even get consideration).

That Art of Revenge pic up at the OS points toward some cool EU-ish clones. Those would be neat, too.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 8, 2004, 11:50 AM »
Pardon me for being optimistic...

At anyrate, we're going to see tons of Clones in the movie of several different styles. So, here's to hoping, eh?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2004, 03:56 PM »
Totally agree with Jesse that the 3-pack clones felt cheap, but since we also got the SA Clone to balance it out, I found them to be great filler.

I agree that with a SA version they're not so bad...  The price and everything balancing out.

The problem being that, as ya mentioned, Hasbro's shite at giving us the GOOD figure and experts at giving the crappy ones.  I'm hoping, as Vator is, that things are the other way... 

Optomistic's something I abandoned a while back I guess though.  Hasbro's proven they don't do what's most logical to us, and what would push sales.

SA Clones?  There's not a sole out there who could tell me those would ever "back up" at retail.  They'd always move steadily...  The demand there is only finite in conjunction with the finances of the buyer.  I think most SA army builders would be that way really...  There's rare exceptions, but the Clone wouldn't be one of them.

The 3-packs though are nice if they do have a SA counterpart that's easy to find, and in multiples.  Hell, pack ONE SA figure in with 2 pre-posed in the 3-pack.  Save a little tooling costs.  Still card one individually.  I'd still buy the 3-packs then.

I'd do that with all army builders if they just did that one, easily available SA army builder as well. 

I think that translates to core characters too.  You give me that one nice SA Obi-Wan and I'll take 3 pre-posed with expressions that represent a single scene as well.  And ya know I'd even be happy to do so.  :) 

VOTC Han, to me, improves Death Star Escape Han in my eyes 100%.  Suddenly DSE Han's pretty damn cool because VOTC Han's everything I want for a "playable" figure and DSE Han will look kick-ass on a shelf made to look like the Death Star.

SA shouldn't kill the pre-posed figures, it should just make them complements to the SA figure.  Poses you can't get out of that figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 8, 2004, 10:13 PM »
Is it possible to be cynical and optimistic at the same time? 

I think we'll see tons of clones.  Absolutely tons.  This is the last time that Hasbro and George have a truly valid opportunity to ram toys down our throats without mercy.  And we'll buy them, yes we will.  Sadly, I think we'll see the same pre-posed stuff from the last movie a la clonetrooper. 

I'd love to see something like the SA, but I'd be pleased as hell to get something with relatively neutral poses like basic stormies.  What I expect....
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2004, 12:43 PM »
"Is it possible to be cynical and optimistic at the same time?"

I think that's called being a realist. 
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
EP3 Clonetroopers
« Reply #8 on: November 9, 2004, 07:15 PM »
Haven't seen anything posted yet on the SA Clonetrooper mock up that has surfaced - yeah it's the Clone Wars Clonetrooper, but is this being re-released?

Was this a mockup for the EP3 Clonetrooper without the helmet updated yet?

If they re-release this body for a Clonetrooper and have it as a mass release, I forsee some gigantic Clone armies for a lot of us!!

Any news?

:P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: EP3 Clonetroopers
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Yes, I missed getting this figure.  I am hoping they send them out again for ROTS.  I would be surprised if they did not capitalize on all things clonetrooper related. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Future Clone Troopers
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2005, 11:06 AM »
So far we have the following:

#6 White Plain
#33 Clone Commander (Commander Thire (??), Fights Under Stass Allie (??))
#34 Clone Pilot (Coruscant aka Odd Ball)
#37 AT-TE Gunner
#41 White Plain with Backpack
#49 Commander Bacarra (Fights Under Ki-Adi Mundi)
#54 Turbo Tank Driver (very similar to the AT-RT Driver)

Misc Others
AT-RT Driver
Barc Rider (Kasshyyk)
Neyo Grunt Trooper (Target Exclusive)

Commander Bly (Fights under Aayla Secura on Felucia, Evolutions 3 Pack...This could possibly be one of Bly's Grunts but it has not been confirmed, a more colored version appears in the film)

So...We still Need These Guys:

Commander Cody (Fights Under Obi-Wan on Utapau)

Commander Neyo (Fights Under ??? on ???)

Commander Gree (Fights Under Yoda on Kashyyk)

Commader Appo (Fights Under Darth Vader on Coruscant)

Commander Fox (Fights Under ??? on ???)

Green Grunt (Fights Under Gree)

Red Shock Trooper

Blue Shock Trooper

Barc Trooper (Regular Version)

V-Wing Pilot

Not sure who fights with Plo Koon (I would guess a V-Wing Pilot although there are rumors to the contrary) and if there are Clones with Mace at the Beginning of the movie or who is with Stass Allie...

Lots of questions still as to who is where and what arrangements are final but a lot of the stuff has been confirmed.  There is a design with brownish circles that hasn't really been shown anywhere other than a small shot in the Insider

Right now I think I really want Gree and Cody...and I want them a lot!  Probably at the top of my ROTS wishlist
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 12:24 PM by Scott »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Future Clone Troopers
« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2005, 11:16 AM »
Nice topic (and pics) Scott.  I'm with you, I really hope we see several more of these made, and Cody, Gree, and Appo are top on my list.  Although it does seem like a way to sell more toys (having multi-flavored clones), a lot of them do look pretty neat to me, and I do hope we see them at some point.  Maybe some of these will be included in #'s 57 and up, if we see waves later this year.  At the rate these have been coming out (up to 44 now in many areas), you would think we'd be seeing new waves by fall.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 9, 2005, 11:46 AM »
About the question marks under the posted pictures:

That first picture you posted is not Commander Bly, but it is one of his grunts.  Bly has macrobinoculars, as well as a yellow painted breath filter and yellow painted thigh armor.

Commander Neyo fights on Kashyyyk as well as Commander Gree.

Commander Fox is on Coruscant along with Commander Appo.

About the picture you posted as Commander Appo, what differentiates Appo from the armor of the other special ops troops during the Temple Raid?
« Last Edit: May 9, 2005, 11:48 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: May 9, 2005, 11:54 AM »
I don't think anything differentiates the 501st Members that I can see

RE: Bly picture...that is what the Visual Dictionary called that guy, so I'm not sure what EU source to believe yet on that.  I can see from a consitency standpoint that the More Colored and armored members are the Commanders but we'll see if that is confirmed

There is also a picture circling of what appears to be Comm Fox on Utapau but again unconfirmed so I'll leave that one a mystery

« Last Edit: May 9, 2005, 11:57 AM by Scott »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 9, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Wow that's a lot of stuff... almost too much for me.  Anyone else having Clone overload?

:P