Author Topic: If you had to stay in bed for 3 weeks  (Read 4493 times)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: If you had to stay in bed for 3 weeks
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 05:57 AM »
Hope everything goes well with the surgery. Both my mom and brother have an numerous back surgeries so I know what your going through.

I was gonna mention the Gunslinger series from Stephen King as well. One of my favs.

Since you have an XBox you should try GTA: San Andreas. Im still working on that one and I got it for Christmas.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I think I am going to go with Gaming and movies...I have almost totally abandoned the cereberal pursuits of reading. 

I've got 4 days to get it all set up and assembled.  I have to move the xbox upstairs and the wireless internet works great right now (not fast enough to game, but I can keep in touch with the office and cruise the net).

The thing I am dreading most is the IV in my arm/hand for 3-4 days. Not the surgery itself or the rehab, but the TUBE.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 10:40 PM »
I'm going to have to suggest that the clones would be of no real benefit to you Paul.  If I thought they'd remotely help your rehabilitation I'd be a willing participant.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 09:08 PM »
Good Luck!!!  Hope everything goes well with your surgery.  I just registered tonight because I saw this thread and wanted to add to it.  Well, that isn't the only reason but it's one of them :) 

Anyways, books?  Hmm...Stephen King is awesome, any of his books really.  I did like the Dark Tower series but in all honesty I haven't read all of them.  I believe we have the last 3 that he wrote but I haven't read them because I can't remember the first 4 and I want to go back and read them.  The character, the Gunslinger is pretty cool, I can remember that much.  But, Stephen king is an odd duck.  I've been buy his house in Bangor, ME and it had gargoyles near the gates and bats on the gates. 

I just read the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and I have to say that those were some good books.  I actually liked the DaVinci Code the best but they were both pretty good.  Especially if you like the Vatican City and all the things that happen to elect a new pope.  In fact, we saw that this year with the new pope being elected.  It was rather neat.

Games?  I have a Gamecube and I thought the best game was Zelda The Windwaker.  I haven't conquered it, yet but I am very close.  I am collecting all the rubies I can before the last level.    I haven't played it in awhile though since I'm getting ready to move to Maine to be with my fiance. 

Sorry if I've rambled or went off topic.  Good luck, Paul!!!!!  :) :) :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 10:10 PM »
If you have a PS2 or Xbox and aren't very religious, I suggest playing any game from the Grand Theft Auto series. So much stuff to do, it will make the 3 weeks go by like that. *snaps fingers*

I also suggest a few SW games, like Bounty Hunter and Battlefront (already mentioned). If you have a Gamecube, try out the Rogue Squadron games, both are a few years old and can be picked up pretty cheap.

And of course, the sports games (NFL, NCAA, NBA, etc.), if you're in to those. :)

That's really all I can suggest. Good luck with the surgery! :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline phpcodingninja

• Youngling
  • Teh Third
    • View Profile
    • http://www.beyondunix.com
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2005, 11:28 PM »
Hope everything goes well with your surgery, and your recovery.  I'm getting the good ol' wisdom teeth out on August 11th, so now I have a few more ideas on what I can do while I'm all drugged up and life is good.  Hope everything goes well.
I'd rather a life full of mistakes then regrets;  But not mistakes that become regrets.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 10:25 PM »
I see Paul briefly re-emerged here today...  How'd the surgery go, Paul?  You keeping busy with all of our great ideas in here?  Hope all's well, and you're on the road to a speedy recovery (relatively speaking).

- Matt

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 11:49 PM »
I'd just like to voice my overwhelming displeasure at Paul for opting to have surgery rather than get out there and find the remaining clone 3 packs I need. >:(

Ok, not really.  Hope all is well with you and there's no pain.  Fast recovery too.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 12:04 AM »
well today is the first day I felt like sitting up and Typing....I went into Lurk mode...I could read while laying on my side but not type...(not that I can type any better sitting at a desk)....

Surgery was so boring I slept through all of it....(ba-dum-dum)

To avoid too much gore, I had anestesia complications (liquid (the red kind) in the lungs) so recovery took an extra 12 hours and some really wicked medication.

And the stuff on my MRI that they thought was scar tissue from my prior surgery 20 years ago (for those keeping score that was Back Surgery on a ruptured disk at the ripe old age of 14)...but alas it wasn't scar tissue it is a "Cyst" on my spinal chord.  What does this mean?  We don't know.  They took samples but didn't remove it.  Oh well.  I can feel my left leg again, so I am just glad the surgery is done, but my foot is still numb, and they can't predict if they will come back.

To make matters even more interesting, I apparently am a "light weight" when it comes to Narcotic medications...everything they have given me for pain gives me either toxic heartburn or makes me sick to my stomach, but one pill will knock me out for 8 hours and I fell hung over when I wake up.

That is the medical part of it.

As for keeping busy.....well lets see how does it go..."The best laid plans of mice and men....."

I was talking to Rob the weekend before and told him my "cereberal" pursuits of reading had devolved into playing video games and watching videos...and I couldn't even follow through with that.  I've watched exactly 3 DVD's.

Master and Commander (had never seen it)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Gods and Generals (a Civil War flick that I had not seen)

and I have played nearly an entire season of NCAA Football 2006...if the game is any indication of the season Go Ahead and buy Tickets to the BCS Bowl all you Texas Tech fans the Red Raiders are gonna Hit Em, Wreck Em.....

I tried to sit up for longer than I am supposssed to the other day and played Battlefield 2 online with a buddy...well that ended up in a slight mishap and I "popped" a stich and bled out on the couch (very realistic considering the game I was playing) that required a trip to the Dr. today.

I guess when I had the first Surgery years ago and was out of commission/school for 4 months Cable had yet to come into it's own and so not much was available to watch (I know we had it).  But cable and the Tivo have pretty much made this a DVD free recovery.

Now I just wish my wife would tell me where my keys are so I can sneak to the office whenever she takes my daughter to play dates.  I am not allowed to drive until my check up next week.  My wife was kind enough to take me Target after the Doctor today, I just can't get her to take me on Toy runs. I don't really want her to know the amount of time I spend looking for the stuff.

The amount of stir crazy/cabin fever is killing me.  I can't go back to "work" for 2 more weeks and then only half days for 4 more weeks.  So glad I work for myself or I would be S.O.L....I'd need that insurance the Duck sells...

Sorry you asked now aren't you.....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: August 1, 2005, 11:25 PM »
Saw your post about the Harley, Paul.  I kinda figured you'd had more than a dirtbike, and I'm sorry about you having to sell that...  :( 

Keep your spirits up though bud, JD's in your corner of course.

Tear up some people online to feel better...  Talk some **** on them.  :)

Take care man, and you'll be straightened out right quick for certain.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 7, 2005, 07:47 PM »
Yes, my poor Harley is going to be a casualty.  It was the first ever "trade for services" I did when I hung out my shingle.  It's too hot to ride it in the summer anyway...I have an alternative though...one of the bike manufacturers in Europe is making a 4 wheeled Street bike.  I saw a pic from the Paris Auto show...

The doctor put me back on bed rest (the b**tard) on Friday due to the "CYST"...I had my license back for 3 days....If the numbness starts to go away, I can get up and out again.

But the second coming of the couch allowed me to view the following films...

Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande
The 3 Godfathers (the Western not the Mafia movies)
Tombstone
The Horse Soldiers
Silverado

It was a western intesive weekend...

Why could this have not happened in the middle of October....I could kill HOURS with College Football, NFL and the NHL (now that it is back)...

That being said, the 3 days I was up and out, I snagged the Evolutions set and 500th Vader...

I do appreciate all the well wishes from the folks here at JD...here in this thread and the PMs...

The surgery was not so bad, I just hope that I (and my wife and daughter) survive the recovery.  Physical Therapy is torture and going back to being 15 again and being "Shuttled" places by other people is really beating me down.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 7, 2005, 09:31 PM »
I'm glad to hear that your recover is going better, little by little.  My husband had the same surgery in April.  He had to be out of work for 12 weeks.  He's a fabricator for a NASCAR team and once he returned to work he had to be on light duty for 4 weeks.  He went absolutely bonkers while he was home.   :o   The hardest part was trying to juggle a baby and a preschooler while keeping them off of daddy.   I hope things continue to get better for you.  Just take it nice and slow.

Tracy
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(