Author Topic: Secret Figures!?  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Secret Figures!?
« on: July 13, 2005, 01:23 PM »
I've heard some rumblings about what are being called 10 secret figures. Has anyones else heard sbout these? The theory is that the #6, 33 and 34 repaints are three of them. Anyone?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Figures!?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 04:03 PM »
If this is actually true, and Hasbro thinks that this is going to restore and/or sustain interest in the line, they are sorely mistaken.  Collectors are what is driving this line now, and I think I can speak for several others when I say that all this hunting for a particular figure is getting really old, really fast.  Retail is not stocking, Hasbro is not shipping what they should, and outside of collectors, nobody gives a **** about the basic action figures right now. 

If this "10 secret figures" stuff comes to pass and is true, then Hasbro might as well slap an "Ebay Exclusive" sticker on them before they even send them to Target, WM, TRU, or Kay Bee because that's exactly where they will wind up.

Matt, I know you're probably gone to SDCC by now, but I want you to tear them to pieces and don't let them call on someone from "that other site" that just wants to make everything all nice and fluffy and hopping bunnies and flowers for them.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 04:26 PM »
"The theory is that the #6, 33 and 34 repaints are three of them. Anyone?" 

And given Hasbro's stellar record you KNOW what the other 7 will be.  *cries*
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Well, as long as they don't start blindly packing them. It's bad enough with these repaints, since in my book, they're chase figures, and that's bad.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 07:03 PM »
Secret figures meaning repaints of prior ROTS figures, perhaps?  If so, then there's several Clones already mentioned, including the new black Clone Pilot thing shown over at GH this morning.

I don't mind some rehashed repaints if they're movie accurate.  Granted, I'd prefer Hasbro stick with the better sculpts (#41) instead.  And screw this "EU" crap like that Clone Pilot.  WTF?!

EDIT: Whoops.  Guess you can disregard that theory.  Hadn't seen that GH report yet.  If that's true, then pphhhtttth.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 07:44 PM by JediMAC »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Wow...this list is soooo depressing.  There's not one new figure in the bunch.  I really think that my days of being a completist are coming to an end.

Please, if someone is at the Hasbro Q & A, please tell them that they are losing long time customers by cutting corners so shamelessly.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 12:11 AM »
I really think that my days of being a completist are coming to an end.

Well if the SAGA hoth rebel trooper didn't do it for you, I'm glad this did.  Welcome to freedom.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 12:15 AM »
The whole idea of there being "Secret" figures is amusing to me. Why make something like a LOGICAL repaint (Shociktrooper) a "secret"? It's almost like we're kids and Hasbro is the scummy perve who hangs around the playground and tells the kids "Hey, I have a secret in my pants, why don't you reach in and grab it" - it might be something good - but chances are it's not.  ;)

Now - before anyone writes "where the hell did that come from?" - just thought I'd let everyone know that even I don't know where that came from - my mind is fried it's 12:15 AM locally and I'm still ranting about these pitiful excuses for "new" figures.

Hah!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 12:17 AM »
This must be Hasbro's choice of words for chase figures. Because that's what they sound like to me!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline cCc2021

• Youngling
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 02:51 AM »
I think I'll just focus on completing previous lines like E1 or Freeze Frame figures instead of buying all these rehashes.

cCc

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 05:08 AM »
On the black pilot issue, I'm in the minority that likes EU/Fan-Fiction stuff I guess...  I kinda dig the repaint.  It doesn't bother me at all except that it, the Neimodian, the Wookiee...  They tend to be bad choices given what's hanging on pegs around most places.

The concept is ok by me though...  I just hope these aren't a bitch to find...  I hate chase stuff.

I missed the GH post on this I guess.  Is this confirmed to be a "Chase figure" situation?  If that's the case I'm vehemently against the idea.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 09:50 AM »
The concept is ok by me though...  I just hope these aren't a bitch to find...  I hate chase stuff.

I missed the GH post on this I guess.  Is this confirmed to be a "Chase figure" situation?  If that's the case I'm vehemently against the idea.

I agree with you Jesse that fundamentally, I am OK with the concept of using the Army Builder figures to give us paint variants.  The Clones, the Wookies, they are pretty cool.

What I am against however is two-fold:

1)  Why does EVERYTHING have to be repaints?

These figures would be much more well received if there were 6-9 Clone/Wookiee repaints mixed in with 6-9 NEW figure sculpts.   I think more people would be really excited if they just given us the Clone and Wookiees - they could have skipped the Cinema Scene repains and the repaints of figures that are all over the shelves - Wookiee #43 and Nemoidian #42 jump readily to mind, as does the Magnaguard.  Why re-do them NOW when they are still plentiful?  Like you said, they have to learn to spread these around a bit and mix in some new figures.

2)  Will they be easy to find?

I think this is everyone's concern.  A Red #6 Clone and a Blue #41 Clone ROCK, but if I can't find them because they are only 1-per-case in cases that Target/TRU aren't ordering because they are chocking on old stuff?  That will suck.

I don't think as many people would be mad if all these weren't dumped in at the end of the line where many of them will inevitable be hard to find  (using history as an example - end of the FF run, end of the Ep1 run).

Who wants to get excited about a kick-ass Blue repaint of the #41 Clone if you will never see him at retail?

Jeff

And, to answer your other question, no one is quite sure yet what the hell Hasbro means by "secret" figure...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 09:25 PM »
Alright, didn't know if I'd missed that or not.  Last night was too much for my feeble mind to keep up with.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Jeff...  The underwhelmed feeling I have at this moment isn't so much that what we saw is bad...  I like a lot of it.  It's that it's ALL old stuff.  Re-buying stuff is boring more than "sucky".  I like the Clones though, the Preview Wookiee ( I'd still like a new "basic" Wookiee though), and I like the Neimodian...  I dig the 5-pack of 501st guys/Anakin (& that pilot).  That's ok by me, it's just dull and no new sculpts to marvel at.   :-\

Seeing things today, after some reflection, I really still feel underwhelmed...  Let down right now.  I'm hoping for something more tomorrow, but what's there isn't so bad, it just isn't so great.

My underlying fear is the same as yours.  How tough will ANY of this be to find too?  I've been worried about the Evolutions assortment anyway, but now finding a LOT of all these paint variants ain't gonna be fun for me either.  Not to mention my fear of these "secret" figures being tough to find.  I'm not in the majority, but I kinda dig the black pilot and green commander...  I'd buy multiples of these "EU" figures if they were actually around.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 01:35 AM »
Crap, Star Wars Chase figures? Screw that ...

I'll buy em if I find em, but I'm not going out of my way to get these friggin repaints.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Crap, Star Wars Chase figures? Screw that ...

I'll buy em if I find em, but I'm not going out of my way to get these friggin repaints.

I don't think they're chase figures. Sure they are one per case, but a lot of figures are one per case and who is to say that latter assortment won't include two or be army building cases?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."