Author Topic: Target Exclusive Lava Reflection Anakin and Obi-Wan  (Read 30259 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Target Exclusive Lava Reflection Anakin and Obi-Wan
« on: July 13, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Thought the Lava Vader from April 2nd sucked?

Get ready to hate on these figures too!

From GH.com:

"Two new Target Exclusive action figures: Lava Reflection Obi-Wan Kenobi (based on the #1 Revenge of the Sith Obi-Wan Kenobi figure) and Lava Reflection Anakin Skywalker (based on the #2 Revenge of the Sith Anakin Skywalker figure). Both come with a new, "hot" Mustafar base, dark paint jobs and orange "lava" reflection deco."

More info at SDCC this week!

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 02:18 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Reflection Anakin and Obi-Wan
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 02:10 PM »
I wasn't excited about the Lava Vader (never found it, but likely would have skipped it anyways)...and I don't see these figures being any different.  From the looks of that GH report, there's going to continue to be all sorts of exclusives coming later this year...some neat, some not so much.  I really feel for the completists when all this exclusive business is going on.  Unless these Obi/Anakin figures turn out to be something pretty spiffy, I'm likely passing.

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 02:13 PM »
That's the second aweful rehash exclusive in what, 2 hours?

I'm convinced that all Hasbro learned from this year's exclusives and last year's OTC success was that people will buy rehashed garbage if it is positioned as hard to get or on pretty packaging. I see rehash hell ahead for us.

Unbelievable.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Target Exclusive Lava Reflection Anakin and Obi-Wan
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:26 PM »
This is insane. Enough exclusive repacks! Especially crappy ones like these with horrible paint jobs!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:30 PM »
It's official Hasbro has run out of ideas and money for new molds. Shame.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 02:31 PM »
Since I own zero Lava reflection figures, I'll pass on these. Screw this noise.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 02:52 PM »
What the ****? I'm convinced Hasbro is run by a bunch of ******* morons.  Better give them **** Matt at SDCC for them producing **** like this.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 03:00 PM »
You've gotta be kidding me. ::) Booooo!

I'm convinced that all Hasbro learned from this year's exclusives and last year's OTC success was that people will buy rehashed garbage if it is positioned as hard to get or on pretty packaging. I see rehash hell ahead for us.

Unbelievable.

Not to say "I told you so" but ... I told you so. I knew this would happen if people bought into the Target clone/Lava Vader type crap. Give 'em an inch, etc. etc.

Just Say No! ;)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Well, I guess we can count on 2006 being the year that 1985 repeats itself, and I think you all know what I'm referring to.

(in before Lava Reflection Padme, Threepio, R2, and Palpatine announcements)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 04:02 PM »
We need a Lava Reflection Mas Amedda! There aren't enough of that guy warming the shelves  ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 04:24 PM »

Well, I was excited to get a Lava Vader because it was one of a limited number or bad rehashes but exclusive.  I was excited to get a Target Clone pooper because it seemed limited.  Holo Yoda appeared locally so I got it too.  

But this is just plain stupid.  I'll grant you the lava reflection versions of these figures make more sense than the lava Vader actually did, but this is just silly. Why?  There's a limit to what I'll spend and I've been fringing on the Hasbro stuff for a while now.  Too much (100+ figures in less than 2 years?) in too little time with too little quality.  

Who wants an exlusive lava reflection figure from a poor sculpt that has an action feature with it??  Honestly, Hasbro should sit back and look at themselves "...the kids want action features..." they say.  Great, what kid is going to pay for (let alone be able to obtain) what is certain to be a $12 exclusive with a fancy-shmancy (read "piece of crap") protective case?  How many parents are going to listen to 7-year old Johnny when he clamors to get daddy to pay for the $25 (plus shipping!) ebay-exclusive lava reflection Anakin? ::)  This is dumb.  Just dumb.  

Dear Hasbro,
The movie is over.  Any marketing strenth you had during the April-June time frame has been supplanted by first Batman and now the Fantastic Four.  We regret to inform you that the vast majority of those buying your products from this point forward are adult collectors.  Uncle George has indicated no more movies, so any strength you may have perceived in sales is now solely reliant upon collectors.  There will be no Christmas increase in sales due to the Children, they'll all be watching and talking about Harry Potter.  Oh sure, releasing the DVD might generate a few sales, but really, anyone that wants the DVD will have already found #9 Grievous, probably on clearance for $2.  
As a collector, I readily admit that we're a bunch of whiny bitches.  Your suggestion in the back rooms to that extent is accurate.  But pull your head out of your ass, you're hurting yourself and ignoring what will be the market for your product for the next 13 years.  Are you really certain you want to alienate us?  We don't buy a few figures, we buy all of them.  You rely upon that and mockingly count on it thinking you can throw any piece of crap you want out there.  Got news for ya: the number of pure completeists is dwindling every day.  Why?  You keep insulting even the dumbest people and eventually they notice.  Actually I suppose that's not true because we insult you guys all the time and you just never hear any of it ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 04:31 PM »
I am feeling better about my forced (read: no money) removal from near all collecting in 1999
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 04:35 PM »
^^ Word to Brent! This type of gimmick **** is just plain insulting. >:( (That being said,   if   when they do a Lava Reflection Clone, I'll be on board. :-\ Curse my Clone obsession!)

Pricing and availability aside, no kid is going to want shiny red versions of Anakin and Obi. They'll want ones that actually look like the character.

Ergo, any sucker who buys these is an adult collector, and collectors don't like action features.

A lovely lose/lose/lose situation for kids, collectors, and ultimately Hasbro.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 04:37 PM by Valin Kenobi »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 04:52 PM »
The only problem is Hasbro won't lose.  These will likely be somewhat limited production (50-100,000 units), a store exclusive and ebay sellers will go nuts.  It's likely to be a US only release, so they'll have a worldwide market to hit.  Hasbro looks at sales once they are gone from the warehouse.  Once the retailer buys them, they are sold in Hasbro's eyes and based on Lava Vader/Target Clone/Holo Yoda sales most retailers (or the exclusive retailer) will look at this and think no-brainer. 

So kids don't care - loser.
Collectors are frustrated - loser.
Hasbro/Retailer sell out - winner. 

And that's all that matters to a company that is obviously out of touch with the majority of the collector market (based on the general response I saw at the Hasbro Q&A at C3) except for the kiss-ups. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 04:58 PM »
That's true, but in the long run Hasbro still loses. Like you say, this results in collectors getting more and more pissed off, thus quitting the hobby or drastically cutting back on purchases, thus retailers don't buy SW toys, thus in the end Hasbro loses money. Trickledown effect and all that.

Of course, scalpers will still buy this stuff up (still making money for Hasbro) but eventually even they will stop when they realize collector demand has dried up.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 04:59 PM by Valin Kenobi »