Author Topic: Mattel DC Superheroes  (Read 87778 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: DC Superheroes
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2007, 11:57 PM »
Word around the campfire is that the Parasite/Steel/Supergirl wave is out. I've seen some pics from people who found them, and they look great. No Mongel in the group though. Can't wait to find these, and see what's in store for Toyfair!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Actually, I just found that latest wave at our local WM this morning.  No Mongul, but they had one each of Parasite, Supergirl (blue outfit), Superman, Steel, and the orange Doomsday.  Pretty nice figures, I really hope Mattel can get the license for the whole DCU eventually - I'd really like to get characters like Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, etc. in this range.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2007, 04:02 PM »
Actually, I just found that latest wave at our local WM this morning.  No Mongul, but they had one each of Parasite, Supergirl (blue outfit), Superman, Steel, and the orange Doomsday.  Pretty nice figures, I really hope Mattel can get the license for the whole DCU eventually - I'd really like to get characters like Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, etc. in this range.

Nice find! I'm chomping at the bit for Supergirl and Parasite. I've never really been a Steel fan (makes me think of Shaquille O'Neal unfortunately), but if I like the figure when I see him, I'll probably pick him up.

The crappy thing is that these things only seem to be showing up at Walmart, and there's no Walmarts anywhere near NYC. I'm hoping these don't turn out to be Walmart exclusives...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 5, 2007, 11:52 PM »
Anyone else finding this wave yet? Are you drowing in Parasites, Supergirls and Steels? If so, just send them to me, and I'll do my part to rid your Walmarts of those pesky new DCSH figures...  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 6, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Anyone else finding this wave yet? Are you drowing in Parasites, Supergirls and Steels? If so, just send them to me, and I'll do my part to rid your Walmarts of those pesky new DCSH figures...  ;)

Likewise up here, we got nada.  Checked today and still the same old stock, which is new stock, but old because it's the original version of supergirl.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 6, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time I think, as I haven't seen any of those figures since.  I have seen the recarded Superman (and variant) on the purple cardbacks, but nothing else.  I still kind of want to pick up Steel, but passed on him the time I saw him because I was trying to limit spending at the time.  Hopefully these will start showing up more soon.  The only place that has had them at all here has been WM (and just Supermen now), and Target still has Superman/Supergirl figures from the previous wave.  Our local TRU still has Killer Croc and Bane on the pegs, and have for practically a year it seems.

I'm curious to see what's on the way from this line at Toy Fair.  I do kind of like these figures, although it stinks they don't have access to the whole DCU.  It sure would be nice to have the Justice League in this lineup, or at least some of them.  Hopefully DC loosens the reigns and allows Mattel the entire license in the future.  I had considered giving up this line, but if the Marvel Legends is winding down/wrapping up, I might be able to continue on more than I had planned.  I guess we'll know more about both lines at Toy Fair.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 6, 2007, 03:29 PM »
Distribution seems to be so whingy, I'm not sure I want them to have more of the line :-\  I think the figures are well done, especially for the price point, but case pack and distribution are horrid.  The distribution isn't necessarily the fault of the manufacturer, but the case ratios are.  Packing that many Supermen and shipping so many boxes while the movie line was also out is a bit overly ambitious with respect to expected sales.  Kids will get one or the other, not both.  They can do better on this line.

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 7, 2007, 09:01 AM »
I was on the dc comics website last night, and in the DC Direct area they have a link to an "under construction" page for DC Unlimited.  Not a lot of details, but it sounds as though DC unlimited will be a new line of toys, and it says it will be seeing release in comic shops and retail outlets (or something like that).  Could be interesting.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 7, 2007, 09:03 AM »
I was just coming over here to post about that as well, after reading this press release over at TNI.  Not a lot of info to go on there yet, but again, we'll know more after Toy Fair.  If it means a Marvel Legends-ish line for DC at mass retail (where they can actually produce characters outside of the Superman/Batman world), it sounds good to me.  It could be something totally different though, so who knows.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 7, 2007, 10:12 AM »
I wonder if they're trying to capitalize on Hasbro's "style" of managing the ML line?  Probably just conspiracy theory type thinking on my part but I wonder if the switch from ToyBiz to Hasbro has left them thinking there's an opportunity here where the quality has gone down, or the number of rehashes has gone up (spiderman line repaints being a prime example). 

I wonder too what the impact would be on DC Direct licenses?  A well sculpted, but more articulated and most importantly, in scale, line of DC figures would be very nice and would pull a good chunk of my dollars away from the DC Direct lines.  Getting well sculpted but relatively generic figures of Flash, Green Lantern and others has a lot of appeal. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: February 7, 2007, 11:29 AM »
If it means a Marvel Legends-ish line for DC at mass retail (where they can actually produce characters outside of the Superman/Batman world), it sounds good to me.

This has me very worried... if they end up making a ML type line of DCU figures where they are all in the same style and all in the same scale, it could be VERY bad for my wallet.   :-\

I wonder too what the impact would be on DC Direct licenses? 

Well, I'd imagine they could both be kept up.  DC Direct would continue to supply high-end well sculpted, low articulated figures from comic seres/books like the Ross' Justice line, Batman Long Halloween, Infinite Crisis type specialty lines) like they are doing now, while the new line would be more of a mass-melding pot.

Plus, it would probably allow the DCD stuff to focus more on the non-traditional characters like it did when it first started - Preacher, Sandman, and the rest of the Vertigo type stuff.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: February 8, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Well, here it is a day later and our dreams of a Legends-esque DC line seem to have been dashed...  :-\

Looks like all the "DC Unlimited" line is doing is giving DC Direct a way to make action figures from "other" non-DC lines.

They announced the first two lines from DC Unlimited and they are World of Warcraft figures and Afro Samurai figures.   ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 8, 2007, 03:43 PM »
I saw that too, and that's really too bad.  I mean, assaults on our wallets aside, I really would have liked to see this happen.  Maybe there will still be a surprise at Toy Fair, but I'm not counting on it either at this point.  I just wish they would go ahead and give Mattel the entire DCU license if they aren't going to take advantage of it themselves.  They can focus on the artist/story specific versions, 1st appearances, and all that sort of thing and let Mattel just make the generic versions of the characters of the DCU.  Its really a mistake that they're not capitalizing on all of the success that Marvel Legends has had, and really it might be the best time to strike now as ML might be running out of top tier character choices in their line (barring remakes).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 9, 2007, 12:52 PM »
Following in the tradition of Spidey and Friends, it looks like we have DC Superfriends on the way later this year.  Pics and info at the link.  Might have to pick up a couple of these to stash away for the wee one on the way this summer :).

Also, I read a report on the Fwoosh today that Mongul (from the DC Superheroes line) has been found at a WM (not sure where).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2007, 10:48 AM »
I was initially disappointed with the DC Superheroes showing this year, consisting mainly of repaints (Bizarro, Darkseid, Supes), but it looks like ActionFigureInsider has an exclusive look at the upcoming Clayface figure, which looks all sorts of cool.  Not enough money for all the stuff I'd like to collect this year though :).  It sounds like Mattel reps have said there will be 22 new figures this year (including repaints/retools), so I wonder how many we'll see that are actually "new".