Author Topic: FINiSHED GREE!!! 7-19-05--- feedback appreciated  (Read 3153 times)

Offline camnron

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
FINiSHED GREE!!! 7-19-05--- feedback appreciated
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:16 AM »

hey everyone!!! its finished... i finally finished my commander gree.... i did a little white wash on the legs to lighten em up a bit... the straps are finally finished... and i finally got the helmet to fit to where it doesnt rip off the paint on his nose.... anyways hope you enjoy... the pics dont do this justice...it looks much better in person.... this is the first time i have used drybrushing on a figure....and im surprised how easy and effective it is... anyways...let me know what you think...for the most part its just a modded #41 with a head cast.....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 09:36 PM by camnron »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: Commander GREE WIP-7-15-2005
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 01:54 AM »
Looking good so far.  I had a hard time cutting off that neck ball joint, but it was definitely worth it!  I'm sure he'll look pretty cool with the removable helmet.
I notice that everybody is using those BBi shoulder harness straps, but none of the BBi figures at my TRU have them, is it just my TRU or are those straps from an older figure?

The only thing that I would recommend for your Gree right now is to lighten up the thigh/crotch/forearm color scheme.  I'm pretty sure it was a bit lighter than that.  Still, he looks excellent so far so that recommendation is just a minor nitpick and he would look fine if you left him.

Are you going to use the "concept" helmet or the "movie" helmet?
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 10:37 AM »
It looks great so far camnron.  Very well done and clean looking.

I can't add anything other than what Gregorbian noted, I agree that maybe a touch of white or something on the forearms/thighs would help a bit.

Here's my version to show what I mean on the white paint (my version is by no means "accurate" though) -

As always, nice to see your work here.

:P

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 03:36 PM »
looking good so far, nothing really to add that hasn't already been said.  but I do have a question for everybody thats done a Com. Gree the shoulder harness I know where you get it from but where is everybody getting that thigh holster from?
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 04:10 PM »
I think some people are making the holsters from styrene... or maybe you could make one from the VOTC Han Solo holster.

Offline camnron

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 12:24 AM »
the harness that i got is from a toys r us navy seals troop...im not sure if its out of production...my tru only had one..... let me know how you like the new pics.... the scars look too red in the pics...the shadows from the xacto carving makes it look darker in person, also his neck isnt that stubby.....

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 12:36 AM »
That looks pretty cool, I agree that the scar looks a bit red, but if it's darker in person, then that's good.  The blind eye is a cool idea, I like it. 
It might have been easier to completely cut the ball-neck-joint off of the #41 figure and then glue the AT-TE Tank Gunner neck peg onto the shoulders of your Gree.  I did this for my SSA Clone and it matched up fine and wasn't very hard (I would imagine that it would be a lot easier than shaving down a neck-ball-joint).  Still, the head looks fine on your Gree as it is, so that's just a piece of advice for next time.

Your Gree will definitely look a lot better than Hasbro's!  I can't wait to see your finished pics  ;D

Offline camnron

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 01:12 AM »
yeah that would have been easier to do with the tank gunner neck.... but i have yet to see a single tank gunner on the shelves at my stores.... this head is actually a cast that was sent to me by bantha5.... i didnt get the neck joint...so the head is custom painted too...

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 12:42 PM »
Oh alright, nice job on the painting.

You should check Toys R Us for some AT-TE Tank Gunners.  They are releasing "Mega-Buy" 2-packs (mostly just Jedi pegwarmers), but they also have a Bail Organa/AT-TE Tank Gunner 2-pack.  They are $9.00 each (which is cheaper than buying a single AT-TE Tank Gunner online).

Offline camnron

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: FINiSHED GREE!!! 7-19-05--- feedback appreciated
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 09:38 PM »
new pics posted up top!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 11:00 PM »
Glad you updated it here - this looks great!  The removable helmet is definitely a great touch, and having a blind eye really adds some character to him.

Like I said at RS, maybe a bit of white on the thighs/forearms would add to the accuracy, but either way this looks great!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I agree, he looks really good!  I like the blind eye and facial scars, very cool. 
The camouflage should be a bit lighter, and some of the helmet details are a bit off (I think there should be two darker grey stripes on each side of the green on the top of the helmet), but those are just nitpicks.  He turned out great, keep up the good work! ;D

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 11:22 AM »
he looks really good, puts the hasbro version coming out to shame.  do you have pictures of the back of him?  I just got the BBI figure that has those straps come with and I was just wondering if you cut or reglue or whatever.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Looking good! I really like the fan-fic styled scarring and the blind eye. (Although I wonder if the powers that be would find such an injury reason to find him "obsolete", ala Jason Lee in SOLDIER.) No matter, as we all know, Gree loses MUCH more than simple depth perception.  ;D

This is going to sound like a bizarre thing to point out, but I really like the way the boots turned out. Nicely done!

-DD

Back from the dead!!!