Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56900 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2003, 07:19 AM »
Red Sox magic number for the wild card is down to three! David Ortiz (Thank you Minnesota!) and Todd Walker came through HUGE! The Sox were down 5-2 with 2 out in the 9th and tied it. Ortiz won it in the 10th with a lead-off Homer. Bring on Chokeland!

Red Sox magic number is 2.  Seattle lost.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2003, 07:23 AM »
Red Sox magic number for the wild card is down to three! David Ortiz (Thank you Minnesota!) and Todd Walker came through HUGE! The Sox were down 5-2 with 2 out in the 9th and tied it. Ortiz won it in the 10th with a lead-off Homer. Bring on Chokeland!

Its actually two now, as the M's lost last night.  They can clinch tonight with a win and a M's loss.

I only caught the end of the game last night.  I was switching back and forth between the game and Playmakers on ESPN and wanted to catch the previews for next week's episode, so I miss Walkers HR.  I switch back to see the score tied and went Holy ****.  BK worked an almost perfect tenth and the big man Ortiz was due up.  I actually said to myself "Alright Ortiz, hit a homer and get it over with"  Three pitches later, BAM!  Good stuff.

Congrats to the Twins on winning their division.  The Yanks, on the ohter hand, won't get any recognition whatsoever from me.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2003, 08:35 AM »
Red Sox win the AL wild card with a resounding win over the O's.  It was basically over after the first inning.  Lowe pitched a five pitch top of first and the Sox scored two in the bottom.  After four it was 12 - 0 and the starters were given the rest of the night off and the back ups wrapped up the win.  

Fenway went nuts and the celebration began.  I know its only the first step and there's much more to be done, but you have to feel good about it.

The Sox magic number is now 11 - wins needed to bring the World Series back to Boston for the first time since 1918.

[size=8]GO RED SOX!![/size]
Common sense isn't so common

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2003, 10:00 AM »

Lets get it on!
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2003, 10:26 AM »
Congrats on the Red Sox!  My Cubbies blew it last night.  Well the pitching did anyway.  Sosa in the top 10 all time HR's now.  Three games to go and tied with the Astros.  It will be a cardiac weekend for me.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I am totally thrilled the Cubs made it to the playoffs and won the Central Division!  Atlanta is up next and I don't expect a series win from the Cubs but it's still great to at least be in the playoffs.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
2003 PLAYOFFS
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2003, 11:28 AM »
Yeah that is sort of how I feel with the Twins, the fact that they are even in the playoffs means they have a chance.  granted porbably not a very good chance but they do have a chance which is more than those SOB White Sox can say

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Minnesota Twins vs New York Yankees
Twins Lead 1-0
Game 1: Twins 3 Yankees 1
Game 2: Radke vs Pettite
Game 3: Clemens vs Lohse

Boston Red Sox vs Oakland A's
Series Tied 0-0
Game 1: Martinez vs Hudson
Game 2: Wakefield vs Zito
Game 3: Lily vs Lowe

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Florida Marlins vs San Francisco Giants
Series Tied 0-0
Game 1: Beckett vs Schmidt
Game 2: Penny vs Ponson
Game 3: Rueter vs Redman

Chicago Cubs vs Atlanta Braves
Series Tied 0-0
Game 1: Wood vs Ortiz
Game 2: Zambrano vs Hampton
Game 3: Maddux vs Prior
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 04:30 PM by OCB »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2003, 11:14 PM »
Scott, may the better team win tomorrow.

Go Yanks!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2003, 11:34 PM »
Well, being an unabashed Twins fan (I still have my '91 Championship sweatshirt ;D) I'm pulling for yon Twinkies (go Scott Koskie, good Manitoba boy).  

But I have to confess, I would dearly love to see the Red Sox and Cubbies in the world series.  Now that would be entertaining.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2003, 11:40 PM »
Well, one of those two teams fans could finally quit whining.  I would like to see the Cubs win a Cubs - Red Sox series for a number of reasons.  For one, I'm a Yankee fan, and it's my obligation to root against the Bosox.  Next, the Cubs haven't even been to the big dance since 1948.  Throw them a bone!  The Red Sox have been there at least twice in that timespan.  Then, consider that the Cubs have an even longer winless drought in the World Series than the Red Sox.  I think 95 years should be the longest you should go without winning.

The only reason I think it would be interesting to see the Red Sox win is this:  what would happen to the fans?  Would they know how to react?  The radical shift in psychology could drastically effect all of New England.  But it would hopefully abate some of the whining that some Red Sox fans are renowned for.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2003, 01:50 PM »
Twins 1 Yanks 0...bottom of the 3rd!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2003, 02:15 PM »
So... have the Dodgers been officially eliminated from the wildcard race yet?  :P

Well, since I'm "teamless" here in the postseason, I've gotta root for the underdogs.  So, go Twinkies and BoSox!  Not to mention that I genuinly like seeing my buddies teams win as long as we're not playing them, so I gotta throw in some support for Scott and Brent!  (granted I would NEVER root for Brent's Celtics though  >:()

On the NL side of the house, you've gotta be rooting for Sammy and the poor ol' Cubbies!  8)  Though I DESPISE the Giants, how cool would it be to see Barry vs. Sammy for all the marbles and a ticket to the big show?  Plus you'd get Dusty vs. his former team.  You just know that's what the baseball execs are hoping for.  I'd love to see that, but ONLY if Sammy came out on top.  I HATE Bonds, and would love nothing more than seeing him miss another chance at his highly coveted, yet elusive ring.  8)

Of course a Cubs vs. BoSox World Series would just be the most amazing thing in the history of the world.  Ever.  Another dream matchup that would be!  I'd love to see that happen!  Again, Sammy would have to get my nod...

So go Cubs!

- Cubbie Fan

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2003, 03:01 PM »
3-0 Twins Top 6th!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2003, 04:27 PM »
Twins Win! Twins Win, Holy Cow Twins Win...

Guardado sucks, I hate that guy but he did it...

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2003, 06:19 PM »
So... have the Dodgers been officially eliminated from the wildcard race yet?  :P

Well, since I'm "teamless" here in the postseason, I've gotta root for the underdogs.  So, go Twinkies and BoSox!  Not to mention that I genuinly like seeing my buddies teams win as long as we're not playing them, so I gotta throw in some support for Scott and Brent!  (granted I would NEVER root for Brent's Celtics though  >:()

On the NL side of the house, you've gotta be rooting for Sammy and the poor ol' Cubbies!  8)  Though I DESPISE the Giants, how cool would it be to see Barry vs. Sammy for all the marbles and a ticket to the big show?  Plus you'd get Dusty vs. his former team.  You just know that's what the baseball execs are hoping for.  I'd love to see that, but ONLY if Sammy came out on top.  I HATE Bonds, and would love nothing more than seeing him miss another chance at his highly coveted, yet elusive ring.  8)

Of course a Cubs vs. BoSox World Series would just be the most amazing thing in the history of the world.  Ever.  Another dream matchup that would be!  I'd love to see that happen!  Again, Sammy would have to get my nod...

So go Cubs!

- Cubbie Fan

Since I'm teamless to I'm going root for the Twins or Cubs the underdogs.  I hope the Giants lose again this year becasue I don't like Berry Bonds to much of an ego.  So go Twins and Cubs.