Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56740 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #150 on: October 7, 2003, 01:18 PM »
Oh, and the Sox players with the Lilly things on their jackets were the picture of classy baseball?  Please.

Sorry if my opinion upset you.  I wasn't thrilled about the gesture from Manny Ramirez after his homerun and I think the announcers were correct in their view that if a pitcher did that everytime he struck out a batter, everyone would be ticked off.  Anyways....

Just got some tickets from a friend and we'll be sitting in Chicago tomorrow for the opening game vs. the Marlins.  Pretty excited as I love baseball and just going to a playoff game is a thrill.  Now I have to go on line and find a hotel (and find some Cubby colors in my closet somewhere  ;) ).
Beth

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 7, 2003, 01:43 PM »

As for the Yanks rocking Wakefield this season I seem to recall the Sox rocking Clemens, Wells and Mussina at least once each as well.

And Pettite too the last time he started against the Sox.

And its not as quite as lopsided as Nick thinks it is:

copied verbatim from todays Boston Globe

(Stats are against opposing team this year for each probable starter)

Mussina, 0-0, 3.04ERA, 23 2/3 IP, 13H, 7BB, 19K, .163Avg.
Pettitte, 3-1, 5.04ERA, 25IP, 25H, 4BB, 28K, .250 Avg.
Clemens, 2-3, 8.67ERA, 27IP, 28H, 9BB, 24K, .328Avg.
Wells, 2-1, 3.91ERA, 25 1/3IP, 31H, 9BB, 15K, .292Avg.

Wakefield, 2-2, 3.96ERA, 25IP, 20H, 13BB, 17K, .217Avg.
Lowe, 2-0, 5.55ERA, 24 1/3IP, 32H, 9BB, 9K, .317Avg.
Martinez, 1-1, 3.80ERA, 23 2/3IP, 25H, 5BB, 33K, .266Avg.
Burkett, 0-1, 3.27ERA, 11IP, 13H, 6BB, 6K, .289Avg.

Slight edge to the Yanks, but in no way lopsided.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 7, 2003, 04:10 PM »
Oh, and the Sox players with the Lilly things on their jackets were the picture of classy baseball?  Please.

Sorry if my opinion upset you.  I wasn't thrilled about the gesture from Manny Ramirez after his homerun and I think the announcers were correct in their view that if a pitcher did that everytime he struck out a batter, everyone would be ticked off.  Anyways....

Just got some tickets from a friend and we'll be sitting in Chicago tomorrow for the opening game vs. the Marlins.  Pretty excited as I love baseball and just going to a playoff game is a thrill.  Now I have to go on line and find a hotel (and find some Cubby colors in my closet somewhere  ;) ).

If the Cubs win be ready.  It's going to be insane in the ballpark and the streets of Wrigleyville.  Awesome that you get to go.  Have a great time!

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 8, 2003, 02:28 PM »
Like most people around the country without a team left in the playoffs, I'm pulling for the Cubs now.  How can you not?  Just so many seasons of frustration, that you've just got to hope they can finally get the monkey off their franchise's back.  Plus, they've got some good guys on their squad, and I'd love to see Sammy get a ring.  Not off to a good start with the extra inning dinger against them last night by the Marlins though.  Who the hell even plays for the Marlins besides Pudge?  Bunch of no namers who have no business even being in the playoffs is what I think!  :P

I know the Red Sox are long overdue as well, but since they traded the Bambino, they have to live with their curse!  I wouldn't mind at least seeing them beat the Yanks though.  That's going to be a great series.  Just like the old days!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 8, 2003, 02:32 PM »

As for the Yanks rocking Wakefield this season I seem to recall the Sox rocking Clemens, Wells and Mussina at least once each as well.

And Pettite too the last time he started against the Sox.

And its not as quite as lopsided as Nick thinks it is:

copied verbatim from todays Boston Globe

(Stats are against opposing team this year for each probable starter)

Mussina, 0-0, 3.04ERA, 23 2/3 IP, 13H, 7BB, 19K, .163Avg.
Pettitte, 3-1, 5.04ERA, 25IP, 25H, 4BB, 28K, .250 Avg.
Clemens, 2-3, 8.67ERA, 27IP, 28H, 9BB, 24K, .328Avg.
Wells, 2-1, 3.91ERA, 25 1/3IP, 31H, 9BB, 15K, .292Avg.

Wakefield, 2-2, 3.96ERA, 25IP, 20H, 13BB, 17K, .217Avg.
Lowe, 2-0, 5.55ERA, 24 1/3IP, 32H, 9BB, 9K, .317Avg.
Martinez, 1-1, 3.80ERA, 23 2/3IP, 25H, 5BB, 33K, .266Avg.
Burkett, 0-1, 3.27ERA, 11IP, 13H, 6BB, 6K, .289Avg.

Slight edge to the Yanks, but in no way lopsided.

What, you forgot to mention the game where Mussina was ONE PITCH away from a perfect game against to Red SoX?  For shame!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 8, 2003, 04:06 PM »
Like most people around the country without a team left in the playoffs, I'm pulling for the Cubs now.  How can you not?  Just so many seasons of frustration, that you've just got to hope they can finally get the monkey off their franchise's back.  Plus, they've got some good guys on their squad, and I'd love to see Sammy get a ring.  Not off to a good start with the extra inning dinger against them last night by the Marlins though.  Who the hell even plays for the Marlins besides Pudge?  Bunch of no namers who have no business even being in the playoffs is what I think!  :P

/quote]

I did not think the Marlins had much either.  Until I saw them play the Cubs last night.  They are are very tough the first 3 batters in the lineup - Juan Pierre, Castilla, and Pudge.  I can't remember the other players...yet.  Those 3 seem to be the tough cookies to get out.  The first 2 are extremely fast.  There pitchers are pretty good.  Not quite Wood and Prior but they don't suck.  

It will be a tough series for both teams I think.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 9, 2003, 07:24 AM »

What, you forgot to mention the game where Mussina was ONE PITCH away from a perfect game against to Red SoX?  For shame!

What was that, two years ago?  Who cares.  The person who broke up the perfect game (Carl Everett) isn't even with the team anymore, as is that year's manager, GM and a slew of players.  This year's team is different and I don't care what happened in the past.  That's like me saying "You forgot about the six Houston pitchers who no hit the Yanks in the vaunted Stadium"  Who cares, it obviously didn't hurt the Yanks to much - maybe their pride, but they moved on.  At least that game happened this year ::)

Now, on to last night's game.  All I have to say is one down, three to go.  Outstanding pitching by Wakefield and 13 hits total for the offense.  I obviously want the Sox to win tonight, but a split before going back to Fenway, where the bats will really come alive, is ok with me.

[size=8]Go Red Sox!![/size]

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 9, 2003, 09:12 AM »
Can you say Destiny? ;D  

Go Sox!!!!!!!!  

BTW, Yankees still SUCK!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 9, 2003, 12:28 PM »
Nice offensive explosion from the Cubs last night.  Hope it continues and results in Cub's victories!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 9, 2003, 01:10 PM »
Can you say Destiny? ;D  

Go Sox!!!!!!!!  

BTW, Yankees still SUCK!
If destiny is the case, then the Cubs will probably win.  They're definitely more due.  Maybe the Red Sox fans can wait another ten years.  Just as long as the Cubs.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #160 on: October 9, 2003, 01:15 PM »
A Sox-Cubs World Series would be the greatest thing for Baseball since the Sammy/McGwire deal a few years back

I am sorta sickened by all of the band wagon Cubs fans I am seeing though, that is what I will give some nods towards the East Coast, you guys are far more passionate about sports and don't cheer for the flavor of the month like the rest of the country seems to (ESPECIALLY LA!)

SHould be an interesting few weeks and hopefully we don't have to ban a few members over their passions ;) :-* (That was not a threat BTW, only joking)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 9, 2003, 02:21 PM »

I am sorta sickened by all of the band wagon Cubs fans I am seeing though, that is what I will give some nods towards the East Coast, you guys are far more passionate about sports and don't cheer for the flavor of the month like the rest of the country seems to (ESPECIALLY LA!)

Since the Pats are only 3-2 and the Eagles are 2-2, I'm thinking about jumping on the Vikes bandwagon.   ;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 9, 2003, 10:33 PM »
A Sox-Cubs World Series would be the greatest thing for Baseball since the Sammy/McGwire deal a few years back

SHould be an interesting few weeks and hopefully we don't have to ban a few members over their passions ;) :-* (That was not a threat BTW, only joking)

Well, the Cubs have been on in a lot of television markets for years, so there are some Cubs fans scattered around the US.  I think a lot of people are just so happy to see them in the playoffs.  Add in the mystique of Wrigley field, the stalwart Cubs fans who have stood by them for years, and a couple of the best starting pitchers in baseball in the form of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior PLUS Sammy Sosa, and you've got a storybook setting.  That's why I think a lot of people love the Cubs.

Now, I'd love to see the Cubs make it to the series.  And that's where my love would end.  Because if the Yankees are in the series too, well I'm cheering for the team that I started watching in the late '70's.  But, it would also be known as the Holy Cow! World Series.  Too bad Harry Carey isn't around to see this!  Thankfully, the Scooter still is.

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2003, 11:07 AM »
I have been a Cub fan my whole life.  It broke my heart in 84 when they lost to San Diego.  They only needed 1 more win to go to the World Series.  They have made the playoffs a few times since.

I am surprised they are doing this well.  Now that they are back I really, really, really want to see them at least make it to the World Series.  I think they have overachieved to be honest.  I hope it keeps going.  A lot will be determined by the end of the weekend.  

Winning teams always get bandwagon jumpers.  I have a friend and she acts like she is the biggest Yankees fan.  She isn't.  She's really a Cardinals fan but since they are not in it she's a Yankees fan.  Whatever.  

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2003, 12:38 PM »
As some of you may know I'm not the biggest baseball fan, but I am a Cubs fan.  Have been one all my life.  Watched the game last night and it was an edge-of-your-seat thriller!  Great game, and I'm hoping it will be the Cubs and Red Sox in the World Series.
dustrho