Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56737 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2003, 09:31 PM »
Good lord, what a wild game!  It was more like a circus than a baseball game, IMHO.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2003, 09:37 PM »
Good lord, what a wild game!  It was more like a circus than a baseball game, IMHO.

If something like that happened in the NFL, there would be suspensions, ejections, and some heavy-duty fines.  I couldn't believe no one was ejected from that brawl.  Pretty sad if you ask me.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2003, 12:17 AM »
I officially hate the Red Sox, I was a little preturbed by Manny Ramirez the other day when he was mugging after he hit the homer in Oakland.  But him going after Clemens today to start a mini riot for a pitch that was nowhere near hitting him makes him a Grade A A-Hole

Martinez saying I'd hit you in the head if I wanted to, Martinez throwing down Zimmer and the altercation in the bullpen were both horrific as well (although Zimmer did go after Martinez and he was defending himself)

As much as the rest of the world hates the Yankees they always play with a lot of class and most of their team are nice guys who just smoke your ass, the BoSox to me proved today they were thugs

I hope the Yankees beat the Sox and then sweep the Cubs...cause I am sick of both teams

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2003, 05:44 AM »
Add in the bonehead groundskeeper in the Yankees bullpen who wasn't enough a professional to keep his fandom under control, and that's what led to the fight in the bullpen.  Supposedly, both Jeff Nelson and Karim Garcia could now be facing assault charges because of what this clown started, and Garcia hurt his hand in the process!

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2003, 08:14 AM »
Cubs smoked the Marlins last night!    ;D
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2003, 08:53 AM »
Can you believe we might have a Cubs-Yanks World Series?  Wow!  It's an awesome proposition.

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2003, 09:28 AM »
Can you believe we might have a Cubs-Yanks World Series?  Wow!  It's an awesome proposition.

I would be perfectly content with that matchup.  I truly think the Cubs can take it all.
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2003, 10:00 AM »
As much of a die-hard Yankee fan as I am, if it comes down to the Yanks and the Cubs in the series, and the Cubs win, I can live with that.  They've had a long enough drought in my opinion.

I would not be able to live with the Red Sox coming back in this series to beat the Yanks.  Then, I'd become either the biggest Cubs or Marlins fan going.  Anything to keep the Red Sox from winning it all.

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2003, 11:47 AM »
Peronally I think it's going to be the Cubs vs the Yankees.  I would be thrilled to see the Cubs make it.  I would be overjoyed beyond comprehension to see the Cubs win the World Series.  But realistically I can see the Yankees sweeping the Cubs if they play each other.  I think the Yankees will pull it out again this year.  I hope not but would not be surprised.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 14, 2003, 07:48 AM »
What Manny did after the home run in Oakland is no different that what Bonds does every other homerun.

Pedro's and Manny's actions (the ball was not even close, I actually think Kevin Millar had more of a gripe with Clemens' ball an inning later) were extreme and I can't fault anyone who hates them.  Hell, if they didn't play for my team, I'd be the first in line screaming.  But you take the good with the bad, I guess.  However, I stand behind Pedro 150% when he threw Zim to the ground.  He was only defending himself and did it quite "civil", IMO.  

Now for when Pedro was yelling and pointing to his head, if he meant what everyone thinks he meant, then shame on him.  On the other hand, only he knows what he said.  He told the media he was saying to Posada - who was just as vocal as Pedro when the altercation went down - that he'll remember everything Posada said.

As much as I hate Clemens, I'll give him credit for not retaliating.  He keep his cool and pitched a hell of a game.

I don't know the whole story of the groundskeeper as I was out of town this weekend, but last time I checked, cheering - employee or not, they should be allowed to cheer - for your team isn't a crime.  I'm positive they're are fans in NY that do the same thing. Now I wasn't there, but Nelson and Garcia are professionals too, and should be able to keep their emotions in check.  They should know they are in a hostile enivroment and expect to to get heckled.  Its just part of the game.

With all that said, on to last night's game.  No fights, no rain, just one good solid October baseball game between two very evenly matched teams.  Wake's knuckleball was dancing - as evidence by his career playoff high 8 strikeouts - and the offense (time to start hitting guys) provided just enough to win.  Series tied 2 -2, its now a three game series, winner take all.  I think whoever wins today's game will take the series.

Go Red Sox!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #175 on: October 14, 2003, 08:09 AM »
I agree totally Mikey!

Though I must admit I got a tad bit antsy in the 9th inning last night... but hey we won so no bother going back now.
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2003, 07:45 PM »
Yankees Win!  Thu-uh-uh YANKEES WIN!

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2003, 08:12 PM »
I was pulling for the Sox, just due to "the curse" and the fact that it's the same ol' story with the Yanks, as usual.  But after seeing what totally idiots Pedro and Manny were the night of the brawl, I think I may have changed my mind.  Undecided right now, but a Game 7 matchup between Clemens and Martinez would be one for the ages, that's for sure!  And if it comes to that, I'll be pulling for the Rocket, since I've always been a huge fan of his...   8)

Hopefully Prior and the Cubs can polish off the Fish tonight, but if not, no worries 'cause Kerry will be ready for them in Game 7, if necessary!

- The Bandwagon Cubs Fan   :-*

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2003, 11:12 PM »
I cannot believe the Cubs lost tonight.  That idiotic moron in the stands that stole the ball away from Moises.... un-freakin'-real!   >:(
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2003, 11:46 PM »
Who's to say that the Marlins wouldn't have scored those runs anyway?  Don't pin that loss on one guy...looks like the Curse is still around.  I can't wait to see what happens if they blow another one