Author Topic: Batter up! The 2003 JD Baseball Thread...  (Read 56959 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Batter up! The JD Baseball Thread...
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2003, 11:18 AM »
Well I am disapointed the Cubs could not pull out a World Series appearence.  It was going great until the 8th inning.  I guess that team is just not destined to win a championship or make an appearence.  After going up 3-1 I was sure they had it well in hand.  

The funny thing is now I don't care who makes it to the World Series.  It will be too painful not to see the Cubs in it for me.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2003, 11:34 AM »
Please tell me that's a photoshop job and that kind of hostility isn't bred into the youth of New England at that tender of an age.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2003, 11:45 AM »
Please tell me that's a photoshop job and that kind of hostility isn't bred into the youth of New England at that tender of an age.

Its actually a photo from a Soccer game this past year I believe.  And yes it was photoshoped.  Makes sense since real Soccer fans are the most hostile fans in the world. Still funny stuff though.  Sox fans get a bad rap IMO. We are alot more passionate than many people think.  Take yesterdays game in NY.  You would never find Sox fans walking out on a game like that in the 9th inning.  Not even if we were losing by a dozen runs.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2003, 12:13 AM »
Top o' the 11th :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2003, 12:17 AM »
One pitch :o

Yankees are in.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2003, 12:36 AM »
THE YANKEES WIN!  THU-UH-UH YANKEES WIN!

And another Yankee third baseman comes through in the clutch during the postseason!  Unbelievable!

To the Red Sox fans:  your team fought valiantly, all the way to the 11th inning.  You should be proud of your team.

Feedback

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2003, 07:25 AM »
We are not proud :(  We are disgusted at Little for keeping Pedro in with everyone in the bullpen available.  Terrible managing IMO.  They might as well just handed them the win.  

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2003, 08:19 PM »
Looks like interest in the playoffs has suddenly dropped off dramatically.  That's too bad after some great series in the first two rounds of this year.  Should be a cakewalk for the Yanks now, though you've got to give the Marlins (whoever they are) credit for one helluva run in the last half of the season and on into the playoffs.  They sure didn't help the TV ratings for the World Series though by making it in.  Almost doesn't seem like a fair matchup.   :-\

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2003, 08:33 PM »
I'd still be watching the World Series if either the Cubs or Red Sox had made it in there.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2003, 11:05 AM »
It's just dull with the Yankees in there and the Marlins.  You get the Yankees in there practically each season.  They just don't have a loveable star in there.  They are great players but they don't have a Sosa or someone like that.  Jeter comes the closest I suppose.  Yippee!

The Marlins don't have anyone huge either.  Pudge I suppose but nothing really interesting I guess to keep much interest going.  

I tried to watch some of the first few games.  I just kind of yawned at it.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
World Series Champion... Florida Marlins?!?
« Reply #220 on: October 27, 2003, 04:40 PM »
So I guess no one here noticed that the Florida Marlins somehow managed to win the World Series...   :-\

I'm not really thrilled with that.  Sure, they deserve all the credit in the world for going out and getting it done with a total bunch of nobodys, but it just doesn't seem to speak well for baseball to have them as one of it's top franschises in the league (2 championships in the last 7 years).  Doesn't look like most of the country even cared much either.  Barely a blip on the sports radar it seemed.

I don't know how the powerful Yanks let them slip by them, but it just doesn't feel right as far as the baseball world goes.  Of course, there's always something to be said for another small market team winning the title.  Gives everyone some hope, I suppose...

Anyone else even care about the outcome?  I'm sure Nick's pretty damned bummed, and maybe Jim and Mikey are excited since they're Sox fans who probably hate the Yanks...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 27, 2003, 05:50 PM »
Well since I'm a Cub's fan I have mixed emotions.  On the one hand I'm glad the Cubs were beat by the World Champs.  They won one more game against them than the Yankees did.  But the other hand is the Cubs were really close to beating the World Champs.  It looks like they might have had a good shot at the Yankees even.  

Like it or not the Marlins are a great team.  They get timely clutch hitting, spoil pitchs, great defense, great speed, and have several good starters mainly Josh Beckett.  So, they deserve it.  They earned it, They won it.  Congrats to them.  

But I just feel like this was the best shot the Cubs will ever get at a WS and feel that they kind of shot themselves in the foot a bit.  If the Yankees were not in it practically every year there may have been more excitement.  

Even the Marlins fans don't seem to be into them really.  It's just at playoff time they decide to show up.  They drew 2 million fans this year with a 65,000 seat stadium.  In comparison the Cubs drew 3 millioin with a near 40,000 seat stadium.  Even though the Marlins filled the stadium in the playoffs it's seems like they are not really behind their own team that much.  Talk about bandwagon jumping.  

The Yankees just seem to whine all the time.  Even though they are in the WS they don't seem all that happy.  Now they have all this talk about getting rid of Torre and several players.  All negative stuff.  

No wonder it was a bummer WS.  

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2003, 07:33 AM »
I watched approximately 10 minutes of the WS this year.  I'll agree with you Matt, it was boring.  So boring, in fact, that I fell asleep during the deciding game 6.  Eighth inning, fish up 2-0, fell asleep, wake up and their celebrating.  The first thing I did was wake the wife and  told her the Yankees lost.  She said good, then went back to sleep.  I then said congrats to the Marlins and all their front running fans and switched the channel.  I can tell you nobody in Massachusetts actually gave a **** about it, that's for sure.  

Torre will be around another year.  I doubt ole Georgie Boy wouldn't let him now that the Sox need a manager.  As much as I hate the Yankees, Joe Torre is a class act and I would be estatic if him came to the Sox.  Not going to happen though.  His coaches might be let go (Zim, Mel, etc) but not him.  Expect Steinbrenner to eclipse $200 million in payroll next year in his quest for another championship.

PS - And the best closeup of the WS:  Soriano crying like a little bitch.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2003, 09:55 AM »
Huge news from the BoSox today.  Manny Ramirez has been placed on irrevocable waivers, which means any team can have him if they are willing to pay his remaining $100 million salary.

Now if any team bites, this comes off looking like a genius move.  It frees up alot of money to go after another starter, some mid relievers and possibly a big name free agent (Vlad Guerraro comes to mind).  Granted there are only a few teams in the league with the dinero to claim Manny.  The Yankees top the list.  With Georgie boy still steaming about the WS, would he "take the bait", so to speak?  We'll know by midnight tomorrow.

Now if no one takes him and he stays with the Red Sox, Manny is going to be one moody son of a bitch next season.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2003, 11:01 AM »
No way would the Yankees pick up Manny Ramirez.  His numbers don't equal that kind of money.  Especially after the incidents of game 3.  And the "sickness" issue.  I only see the Dodgers or Mets being interested in him.

Feedback