Author Topic: #55 Obi-Wan Kenobi-Red Leader Pilot  (Read 16595 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: #55 Obi-Wan Kenobi-Red Leader Pilot
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 01:48 PM »
NOTHING could be worse than the POS Obi-Wan with the gimp leg and gimp arm.

That's the only ROTS Obi Wan I have purchased so far and I'm yearning for something better...which could be a dog turd in a blister card.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 02:50 PM »
I am so happy with this guy.  Hands down, this is the best PT figure they've ever done.  Perfect in almost every way (sure he could have had soft goods, but I prefer the molded cloak).  I'm buying like three of him.   :)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 12:57 AM »
I just picked this guy up tonight and as others before me have said, it's a great figure. Super-Articulated all around, including torso articulation similar to the SA Clonetrooper and ROTS C-3PO. You also get the ball joint head, 2 ball joint shoulders, 2 ball joint elbows, 2 swivel wrists, 2 ball joint knees, and 2 ball joint ankles, along with the standard hips. The sculpt is fantastic and I think really matches Obi-Wan's look quite well.  My only concern is his somewhat wide leg stance, which if you look at him straight on is a bit odd, but nothing major and is hidden when you put the robe on.

He looks good with the robe on or off and can hold his lightsaber just nicely. It even comes with a saber hilt to attach to his belt when he has his robes on. Both sabers are also well detailed, which is a great plus. I am a little disappointed that they didn't give the same robe for Obi-Wan as they did for Agen Kolar, because that would have allowed for him to hold his saber at the same time. The headband is well done too and is a great improvement over similar ones included with the Clone Wars figures.

My only nitpick with it, besides the robe choice which isn't a huge deal to me because he won't be wearing his robe on display, is that they chose to paint the ankle joint the same color as his pants, as opposed to the color of his boots. So it looks a bit awkward having these cool detailed brown boots, with a slight tan line in the middle. Outside of that, this is really an outstanding figure and I think this is one of the best ROTS figures, ranks right up there with the SA Clone and Count Dooku. It's also great custom fodder, I'll want to nab another one or two down the road.

If you see this guy, don't hesitate to buy him, it's just an awesome Obi-Wan and puts all others to shame. If you're worried about your other Obi-Wans, just donate them to charity, cause after this guy you won't want them!  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2005, 01:43 PM »
I'm really happy with it too. I just picked one up and have to say it's the best Obi-Wan released IMO.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2005, 05:22 PM »
Yeah, I just picked him up, and I must say I'm really happy with him. He looks great next to Evo Ani.

I really wish he'd come with and extra left hand in the "v" pointing postition he used before fighting GG.  That would have made this figure the best ever.

Love the face too.  Something so right about it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 08:13 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2005, 11:09 AM »
I've got three of this figure opened and displayed in various dioramas now.  What a great figure.  And I can't wait to use the cloak for some customs.

:P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2005, 12:02 PM »

I really wish he'd come with and extra left hand in the "v" pointing postition he used before fighting GG.  That would have made this figure the best ever.

That would have been cool. ;D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

SilverZ

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2005, 12:52 PM »
Finally found one this morning and cracked the package open. I completely agree with everyone here. This is the best PT Obi they've done. Maybe the best Obi, period.

What a pleasant surprise.

I was so happy to see the balljointed waist. It makes a huge difference in the amount of poses he can do. Articulation all round on this guy has me happy. I couldn't ask for much more.

The headsculpt is dead-on and they finally nailed the greying highlights in his hair.

My gripes are small. I'd have liked a soft goods lower tunic piece because the plastic one is a little wide at the slits to accomodate sitting well. It's an understandable tradeoff to get a figure that will actually sit properly, but soft goods might have been a better solution. Still, it's only a nitpick.

His legs also seem a little skinny. But no matter.

Awesome figure. And from Collection 1, no less.  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: August 2, 2005, 12:42 AM »
Buddy of mine picked one up at the Toy Show for $10 this past weekend...  Of course, after I was done rolling my eyes at his lack of patience I had to check the figure out since he opened it. :)

Fantastic...  Best Obi-Wan in the modern line, easily, and I'd gladly re-buy this figure for customs, and for an AOTC Obi-Wan.

Like CHEWIE said, it's worth having a handful just for in different dioramas.

BTW, if you're looking for a 2-finger-posed hand ala the GG fight, Obi-Wan's Outlander figure had a poseable hand sort of in that pose, so you very well may be able to pull that and put it into this Obi's left hand socket.  Just a thought, it's not terribly complex customizing by a long shot (if it's snug, run a little hot water over the hands to soften them, but I've found hands pop easily on Hasbro figures).

May answer your prayers Mike, so it's worth a shot if you can get an extra Outlander Obi.   :-\
« Last Edit: August 2, 2005, 01:23 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 2, 2005, 01:21 AM »
What a great figure!  This really should be the benchmark by which other core character figures are measured.  I have been nothing but pleased with this figure thus far.  Put this Obi-Wan right next to the Evolutions ROTS Anakin and it's perfect!

The only nitpick I have about it is the cloak, but you know what:  it's removable and you don't have to use it.  It's easy enough to use a SG cloak from VOTC Ben, SAGA Obi-Wan pilot or one of the accessory pack Jedi robes.

Well done, Hasbro!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2005, 03:54 PM »
best figure to date.  in my collection anyway, still have yet to get my hands Ani evo yet.  I got 3 of him so far, i plan to use 2 of the robes 1 for Ani evo & the other for a luke custom.  maybe one of the obi's for a better Mace custom.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 5, 2005, 02:52 PM »
Great figure..unfortunately it's so easy to compliment..whereas it's more difficult to criticize. If I could find one con about this fig. is that it appears Hasbro forgot to paint the gold rim in the pilots' mic/head harness to match the movie/picture on card. Ok so this was the one thing I disliked, still it gets a 95% rating(would be 100% if they painted the head gear)-and that's saying itsa quality product!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 7, 2005, 07:57 PM »
This is my first (and will be only) prequel Obi Wan....he is greatness.  He has the ball joints in all the right places, and other articulation where it should be expected.

I do think they should have used the same color plastic for the ankle posts, but that is really my only complaint.

My wife snagged it a Wal Mart because I told her to grab a figure OVER #54 if she found one.  I guess I should have been more clear, because she cannot remember if they had ATRT Pilots and Mustafar Sentrys too.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 8, 2005, 12:16 AM »
Agreeing with everybody here, it's an excellent figure. It's also my first Prequel Obi-Wan since the first Episode 1 Kenobi. This should be the standard for Jedi figures. If you dislike the plastic robe, I was able to get a VOTC Obi-Wan robe on him, and he looks damn cool. My only gripe would be about the color of the ankle joints, but I can easily look past that since he's SA.

Now, Hasbro, get me an AOTC Obi-Wan just like this one. My Evolutions Anakin needs an SA master!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

SilverZ

« Reply #29 on: August 8, 2005, 01:42 AM »
I'm a bit bummed (but not surprised) that Obi Pilot is already starting to pegwarm. It was bound to happen in comparison with the other new figures in the case both being army builders to some extent, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. It seems to be that every Obi is destined for pegwarmer status.

Maybe Hasbro made a mistake branding him as "Pilot" Obi, or even putting him in the blister with the static robes on, instead of behind the figure. Perhaps they needed to show off the excellent SA sculpt he has, and put him in an action pose, similar to how they did the original Clone Wars SA Clones. He's the best Obi by far and deserves better than sitting on a shelf being passed over for repainted clones using inferior action feature-laden tooling.

I did take advantage of his availability to pick up a couple extras for easy customs. Has anyone tested a headswap with the AOTC Outlander Obi head?
« Last Edit: August 8, 2005, 01:44 AM by Tydirium »