Author Topic: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated  (Read 75563 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2009, 04:17 PM »
I can't believe that we're now fourteen years and 1000+ figures into the "new" line, and there are still a handful of figures from the original 90+ that haven't been remade yet.  Amazing.

Hasbro has us the license till 2018 so I'm sure there's a reason behind that.  Not to mention a Rebel Trooper that someone here is looking forward to....someday   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2009, 04:44 PM »
I definitely think that the AT-AT commander and Imperial commander can come off the debatable list.  The recent battle pack should definitely cover the vintage Imperial Commander figure and we have a General Veers that covers the image on that card. 

Likewise, the AT-AT commander seems covered again by General Veers.  After all, he's the only AT-AT commander that we ever see in the movies.  And there's no image of another AT-AT commander on the vintage card.  Just an AT-AT image.   No photo of Veers in armor.

I think Scott's also onto something with the Hoth rebels.  Between Derlin and the new Hoth Rebel I think we're covered.  If you really want to get technical about it, then perhaps we need someone like a Cal Alder to get that base totally covered.

As for the never carded category?  Not sure that I buy into that train of thought.  When we get into that I think it comes across more as an attempt to perpetuate this ongoing discussion within the collecting community.  Clearly, we've got a B-Wing pilot at retail RIGHT NOW, Paploo was in a vehicle pack and Warok will be in a battle pack.  To me, a figure is a figure regardless of whether it was released on a card or as a pack-in.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2009, 05:01 PM »
Hasbro has us the license till 2018 so I'm sure there's a reason behind that.

I'm well aware of the reasons behind it, thanks.  Just commenting on the craziness of it all.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2009, 05:45 PM »
A Rebel Trooper??  THE Rebel Trooper...  Actually I'm for any new Rebel Troopers right now.  THey all needed redone.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Just give me Sim Aloo, the ewoks, and Klaatu and i will consider it done
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2009, 10:18 AM »
I have the At-At Commander and Imperial Commander on the list because they are arguable - in name only. The originals were labeled as generic. I know we'll never get them as generic, and I consider them done, but others don't. That's why I have them on the list.

As for the Death Star Trooper, again, I know the picture clearly shows the trooper in grey, but it has been argued that the picture either has been manipulated or shows a false color. After all, in reverse angles in the movie, his outfit is darker, if not black all together. That's why he's arguable. I consider him done, but if they ever made one, I'd pick a few up to stand in as sergeants.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2009, 03:42 PM »
The still's are under clear lighting though... I've never seen how people "argued" that one.  It's like the brown coat Han debate...  There was no "debate" there.  There were clear studio shots and LFL color charts that showed the color to be brown...  The DS Trooper in grey is the same deal to me.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2009, 06:00 PM »
I've chimed in on the Death Squad Commander before and I will again.  I've worked in television for 15 years and much of that time was spent color correcting cameras for broadcast.  And in that time I saw plenty of high intensity lights (1K and 2K fresnels) make black fabric appear much lighter than it actually was.  I've seen people in black clothing under tv studio lighting, and because of the intensity of the lights their outfits begin to look either washed out, grey or even a little green.

The trooper's in the photo that's on the vintage card has an incredibly powerful light shining right down on him.  You can tell because of the glare on the helmet.  And there's another light shining from the console up into his face.  Lights at those intensities and distances will cause colors to wash out.

With that knowledge in mind, the only thing that would convince me that this particular trooper's uniform was grey would be reference/continuity still photographs that were taken with neutral lighting/backgrounds like this:

And to date, no such reference photograph has surfaced.  Until it does the color of that DS trooper's uni is in dispute.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:05 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2009, 10:21 AM »
I got my start in the camera department in film and TV myself and have added my informed two cents as well. My opinion is the same as Nicklab's, based on my experience.  It's not to say that it's impossible that that trooper is wearing a grey uniform, but based on the reference material and physics, it would be the closest thing to a sure bet I'd ever seen that the uniform was black.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I look at it like the Hoth Han deal...they made one, they can easily make a DSC and throw him into an ultimate Death Star Battle pack or somewhere.  It is a really easy custom, though so while I'd like one, it is not real high on my list of needs

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: June 9, 2010, 12:45 AM »
I think we have all come to the agreement that the following still need modern updates:

Have Been Made But Need Vintage Deco

Death Squad Commander
Power Droid

Have Not Been Made

None So Far

Have Been Made But The Vintage Figure Was Obscenely Movie Innacurate

Greedo
Walrus Man
Hammerhead

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 9, 2010, 08:21 PM »
How about Sim Aloo Scott?  It's been pretty clear that even Hasbro recognizes that they have not made that particular Imperial Dignitary.  Especially considering the "class picture" of the dignitaries it's clear that the two that were made are not the same individual as the vintage figure.

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 1, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Jedi Temple Archives Claims Seven Vintage Figures Need Modern Updates

This list seems innacurate though... off the top of my head I'm pretty sure we got Sy Snootles and Barada during POTF2. I'm no Vintage expert though so I'm probably wrong.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 1, 2011, 11:17 PM »
This list seems innacurate though... off the top of my head I'm pretty sure we got Sy Snootles and Barada during POTF2. I'm no Vintage expert though so I'm probably wrong.

Their reasoning for Sy Snootles is that the figure we have is a representation of the Special Edition CG Sy Snootles whereas the Vintage figure is of the Sy Snootles puppet. I can totally understand this since the CG model looks nothing like the original puppet - but I can also understand Hasbro's stance on why we're only ever going to get figures based on the new CG version of the character.

For Barada - what they're saying is that the Vintage figure was actually of Kithaba, whereas the cardback artwork AND the modern figures we've gotten are of the actual character named Barada.

Personally, with how great they've done with the Wooof (Klaatu) figure, I'd welcome new versions of Weequay, Barada, Skiff Guard Klaatu and also a truly updated Kithaba.

Like JTA even points out in their article, they had a hard time deciding whether or not to view the Death Squad Commander figure as "done" - personally, I say "no" - but I know the whole "the uniform was black/dark olive/gray" argument. So to me, if you're going to say Barada/Kithaba hasn't been done because of a yellow shirt and red pants, you have to say the Death Squad Commander isn't done due to the gray uniform. (but again, that's just my opinion)

I think there's always going to be a handful of figures that are questionable and argued over, that's just the nature of the hobby and I think the longer Hasbro keeps the Vintage Collection going, the better chance we have at finally putting to bed many of those arguments.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2011, 11:19 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 2, 2011, 01:17 PM »
I'd don't understand how people can say we don't have the Bespin Guard and then say we do have the Rebel Commander. We don't have either.