Author Topic: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated  (Read 75573 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Figures Which Have Not Been Updated
« Reply #90 on: September 5, 2008, 11:38 PM »
From this week's answers:

1.  Many collectors have their own ideas on which vintage Kenner figures have yet to be updated. Some consider the Bespin Guard to be done because we got the PotJ version, but others don’t consider him done until we get the black variant. Same goes for the Imperial Dignitary - some think the ones we got are close enough, others want the exact dignitary from the Kenner run. What does your “Kenner figures we still need to modernize” list look like? Do you guys count some modern figures as "close enough" or do you still have a pretty long list running?

** Great question. We consider a figure "completed" in the spirit of Vintage if we are satisfied that the articulation and sculpting is as "good as it's gonna get." So we would not put the Bespin Guard in that camp. Others that have been upgraded but not appeared on Vintage cardbacks (like 4-LOM) we consider upgraded. As for the Imperial Dignitary, we would only consider that one "complete" if we did the same dignitary (Sate Pestage, although he was not named then) with modern aesthetics.

I was hoping they'd give us a little bit of a list or something, but it's at least a little bit of insight in how they see things anyway...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: September 6, 2008, 01:28 AM »
Sounds bad for a Death Star Trooper though...  I want my Death Squad Commander dammit, and I want him resculpted too.  Ah well...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 6, 2008, 01:54 AM »
I think both imperials and rebel commanders need an update. We saw one at sdcc 2008, with Lt. Renz, but his body is a repaint from Jerjerood´s body. We need soldiers and commanders with id and without id.

I think the tendency of Hasbro line is to release a commander with his full name, because anonymate is avoided due to the public knowledge of these oficers´names by fans worldwide.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 6, 2008, 02:40 AM »
To be honest, there was a point in time when I used to consider the two Hoth Soldiers "done". I've since changed my mind for two reasons: (1) the POTF2 and Saga generic Rebels both SUCK and (2) even if those releases were to be consider decent, none of them really "matches" the outfit/head sculpt combinations that were issued by Kenner. To make matters worse, we've still yet to get an Echo Base Interior "no-name" Rebel Trooper. Sure we have Derlin, in the right colors, he's a named character, not a generic Rebel trooper.

For me one of the biggest sticking point is the darn moustaches... For some reason, Kenner felt compelled to add moustaches to the Hoth Rebel Commander and Caucasian Bespin Guard. I guess from my point of view, with what they've done with that Endor Rebel Body, essentially releasing it four times (1st release, TSC Version 1 (Caucasian), TSC Version 2 (African American), TAC (Modified to be Rebel Vanguard)) - I don't see any reason why they couldn't do the same thing - changing heads & hands on top-notch body sculpts of an Echo Base Interior Rebel Soldier, Echo Base Exterior Trenches Rebel Soldier and Bespin Guard. With all of the head swaps and repaints they do, adding three new bodies like this will sustain them for a while. In the case of the Hoth Rebel troopers, I don't know about you guys, but they could make new heads and paint variants many times over and if the body was a good SA and I'd be extremely happy picking up each one to flesh out the Rebel side of my Hoth battle diorama.

With regards to the Silver RA-7 - now that we know it's the Build-a-Droid for Wave 4 - seeing that I'm of the basic CYA mindset, that's good enough for me. I could care less that it was never carded individually and yeah - the one in the Death Star was black chrome, not silver chrome, the dirty silver chrome version was in the Sandcrawler. So it is nice to see that Hasbro is taking care of people who want the droid one way or the other or both (now if I can just find Wave 3!).

Good news Re: the Imperial Dignitary (sort of) - the bad news is that they're saying the Sim Aloo (the name of the Kenner dignitary) is Sate Pestage. Did Sim Aloo's name change when I wasn't looking?

With regards to the Death Squad Commander - like someone said - purely due to nostalgia, we've gotten Blue Coat versions of both the hood-down and hood-up Modern Vintage Han - and since it's been proven that the coat was really brown, these blue versions were created PURELY for the nostalgia factor since the vintage Kenner figure featured a blue coat. I don't see how Hasbro looses out by sticking the TAC Death Star Trooper in a battle pack or even on a Saga Legends card in a Gray Uniform repaint, so like I said in my previous post - this is a no-brainer.

Another figure that can be crossed off my list is an Imperial Officer in Black Uniform - the Assault on the Shield Generator pack is going to include one of those, granted it's a ROTJ Imperial Officer as opposed to an ESB Imperial Officer which is what the Kenner figure was supposed to be, but then again, the Kenner figure showed a picture of Captain/Admiral Piet, and he was never in black, so I could care less if they call it Commander Praji or Lt. Renz or Captain D-Bag, they're going to continue to give the body a new head sculpt and Imperial Officer us to death with this body sculpt so I say bring it on.

That leaves the Jabba Palace Guard Klaatu - which I think Hasbro said is on their short list or coming in 2009 or soon (I can't recall exactly, but they did specifically touch on this figure recently in a Q&A session).

And the two Ewoks - which like other things, all they really need to do is take the Ewok 2-pack, make some different cowls and paint the two Ewoks colors to match the Kenner figures and call it a day. This is another excellent candidate for either a repaint wave or a Saga Legends figure.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 6, 2008, 11:07 AM »
It's very cool to see Hasbro taking this approach of "Is this figure as good as it's going to get?" when talking about completing all of the previously issued vintage figures.  They see the POTJ Bespin guard as inferior when compared with the modern figure aesthetic.  And by that right it seems that they're keeping a good number of the Rebel troops in their "parking lot".

Good news Re: the Imperial Dignitary (sort of) - the bad news is that they're saying the Sim Aloo (the name of the Kenner dignitary) is Sate Pestage. Did Sim Aloo's name change when I wasn't looking?

I'm honestly not sure where the Sim Aloo name originated.  I've seen that same Imperial Dignitary depicted in some of the Dark Horse comics.  He took on the role of Imperial leader after Emporer Palpatine was killed on the second Death Star.  And in those comics he was called Sate Pestage.

With regards to the Death Squad Commander - like someone said - purely due to nostalgia, we've gotten Blue Coat versions of both the hood-down and hood-up Modern Vintage Han - and since it's been proven that the coat was really brown, these blue versions were created PURELY for the nostalgia factor since the vintage Kenner figure featured a blue coat. I don't see how Hasbro looses out by sticking the TAC Death Star Trooper in a battle pack or even on a Saga Legends card in a Gray Uniform repaint, so like I said in my previous post - this is a no-brainer.

This one is kind of low-priority to me.  But if there gets to be enough of a buzz in the fan community about it, as there was for the blue coat/brown coat issue for Hoth Han Solo, this will get done.  It just doesn't seem to be on Hasbro's radar screen right now.

Another figure that can be crossed off my list is an Imperial Officer in Black Uniform - the Assault on the Shield Generator pack is going to include one of those, granted it's a ROTJ Imperial Officer as opposed to an ESB Imperial Officer which is what the Kenner figure was supposed to be, but then again, the Kenner figure showed a picture of Captain/Admiral Piet, and he was never in black, so I could care less if they call it Commander Praji or Lt. Renz or Captain D-Bag, they're going to continue to give the body a new head sculpt and Imperial Officer us to death with this body sculpt so I say bring it on.

Actually, the officer on the vintage Imperial Commander card is General Veers.  It always struck me as very odd that they showed an officer in the green/grey tunic and not the black uni...like the figure was issued.

The Lt. Renz in the battle pack suffices to me.  It's the same uni as the vintage Imperial Commander.  Even if it is in a battle pack, I wouldn't be surprised to see a black uni Imperial Officer with some name issued in the basic figure line down the line.

And the two Ewoks - which like other things, all they really need to do is take the Ewok 2-pack, make some different cowls and paint the two Ewoks colors to match the Kenner figures and call it a day. This is another excellent candidate for either a repaint wave or a Saga Legends figure.

I get the feeling that Hasbro might knock out the remaining Ewoks within the next two years.  I think we're getting at least one of them in 2009.  I think it might be packed with a new version of Wicket, but that's pure speculation on my part.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 6, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Actually, the officer on the vintage Imperial Commander card is General Veers.  It always struck me as very odd that they showed an officer in the green/grey tunic and not the black uni...like the figure was issued.

The Lt. Renz in the battle pack suffices to me.  It's the same uni as the vintage Imperial Commander.  Even if it is in a battle pack, I wouldn't be surprised to see a black uni Imperial Officer with some name issued in the basic figure line down the line.

Thanks for the correction Nick - I was working purely off of memory on the vintage carded figure. I agree with you on the Lt. Renz - for me it's "good enough" too - so the Black Uniform Imperial Officer can finally come off of the lists. I'm sure we'll get a version of the figure with either the same head or a new head in a future Saga Legends line.

I get the feeling that Hasbro might knock out the remaining Ewoks within the next two years.  I think we're getting at least one of them in 2009.  I think it might be packed with a new version of Wicket, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Yeah, based on one of their answers this week, it's clear they know that Wicket and Logray need to be redone - so they could easily redo both of them and package each of them with one of the two remaining Ewoks. I also wouldn't mind seeing them issue one of these missing Ewoks with a repaint of the wokling in a different basket.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 7, 2008, 04:57 PM »
I'll take credit for that question. Thanks to Jeff for cleaning it up.

Interesting answer. Might be cause for adjustments to my master list.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2009, 08:16 PM »
BUMP!  Warok is on the way.  And then there were....?

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2009, 10:23 AM »
I think that leaves us -

Never attempted:
Lumat
Bespin Guard vrs #2
Klaatu - Jabba's Palace

Never carded:
B-Wing Pilot
Paploo
Warok

Arguable variants:
Death Squad Commander (grey outfit)
Rebel Commander (generic)
At-At commander (generic)
Bespin Guard #1 (mustache)
Imperial Commander (generic)
Nikto - Skiff Guard
Imperial Dignitary
Barada - Luke's skiff
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:09 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Can you believe that I've actually seen some arguments about the vintage Death Star Droid?  The argument is that the Droid Factory MB-RA-7 isn't vac-metal that it's not an acceptable modern rendition of the vintage droid.  And that's the point where I think the debate on this subject has jumped the shark.

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2009, 10:10 AM »
I can believe that, but I wouldn't put it on the list.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Don't you think the Endor pack Imperial Commander is good enough?  Unless you want Veers in a black tunic or move him to the never been carded spot.  And I'd say the last wave Rebel Soldier takes care of that one as well in any debate, they have made Derlin and a mustachioed Rebel Trooper.

I'm also not sure why the AT-AT Commander is on there?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2009, 02:48 PM »
I would list the vintage Endor Rebel as well...  Why?

Look him over.  There IS a guy dressed just like the vintage figure, and they've never done one like him.  The exposed shirt under the green coat and all.  He's got a pudgy face and things.  They've done Endor Rebs with no camo coat, and the one with the camo coat covering him (zipped up and things).  Not the vintage one though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I can't believe that we're now fourteen years and 1000+ figures into the "new" line, and there are still a handful of figures from the original 90+ that haven't been remade yet.  Amazing.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2009, 04:08 PM »
I think a lot of these Hasbro considers "done"...  The Imp Commander is one that I personally consider to be off the table.  I want a better one for sure, but the one in the Endor set covers that figure to me.  Likewise I am not sure if the one head variant of the new Rebel Soldier from Hoth should count as the "Commander".  The facial hair and all...  I sorta think it covers him. 

At the same time I don't consider the "Death Star Commander" arguable...  There's stills that clearly show a DST in grey at the helm of one of those mushroom podium things in the command room, and the figure mimiced that photo.  Hasbro's never done that.