Author Topic: Star Wars Customs (Choppers)  (Read 17532 times)

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars "Choppers"?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 09:40 AM »
Wow, already a variation from Hong Kong!

Hardy har. No, this is a knock-off, which is evidently inspiring over here for Hasbro. Personally, I prefer this CHiPs look.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 12:14 PM »
A bad idea executed poorly.

The chopper craze lasted a little less than a year (ending early this year). 

Hasbro missed the boat and now they are going to double their pain - late and poor sales.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 01:05 PM »
Who are these things aimed at?  I thought that the SW choppers would be very realistic miniature choppers with SW paint jobs.  Almost as if OC Choppers and Lucas got together.  But these are nuts.  I really can't imagine who would buy these.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2005, 01:31 PM »
Yikes....agreed, I really don't know who these are aimed at either.  The Star Wars painted motorcycles you mentioned I could maybe see, it still wouldn't be something I would likely buy, but they would at least make a little more sense.  Its products like these that contribute to giving the Star Wars brand a bad name I think, I would have just as soon see Hasbro steer clear of this type of area.  Stick with the basic figure line, and maybe a couple of well received offshoots (Unleashed, maybe GH).  Like many of us have said before, save the money from creating these, Force Battlers, Jedi Force, or even the Transformers, and give us a Cloud Car already :).

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01 PM »
These are so ******* lame.

Between these and the uber-retarded SW Transformers, we're getting screwed out of new 3.75" figures, I'm sure. And we'll all be able to bask in the hatred when we can't find General Veers because Transforming Vader and gay-biker-boy Luke are reducing the pegs to molten metal.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2005, 07:20 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is so funny. These are so retarded. I laugh at whoever greenlighted this idea.

Then again, the loss of profit from these may come back to haunt us in the 3 3/4' line. :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2005, 09:28 PM »
I'm sure Star Wars Pogs will be next.   ::)

I don't even really have anything witty to say here.  Just a great big "WTF?" from over here in the peanut gallery.  ::)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2005, 10:59 PM »
What to say... what to say...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2005, 11:04 PM »
What a ******* waste of plastic, worst line ever!  ::)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2005, 01:46 PM »
The current strategy seems to be 'flood the market with SW ****.'  Not a good idea if you remember the TPM merchandise fiasco.   ::)

Not a good strategy to run with considering your market is going to be kept alive by collectors.  The movies are done, so there's little hope that the mainstream will jump on the bandwagon.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2005, 01:57 PM »
The current strategy seems to be 'flood the market with SW ****.'  Not a good idea if you remember the TPM merchandise fiasco.   

Not a good strategy to run with considering your market is going to be kept alive by collectors.  The movies are done, so there's little hope that the mainstream will jump on the bandwagon.

This is what bothers me about it too.  I mean, I don't want them so I won't buy them...but it still reflects poorly having so much Star Wars crap out there, and some of it really is "crap".  It gives the entire brand a bad name if a few of these offshoots sit and rot on the pegs.  Its always nice to have a variety for people to choose from, and I hope that collectors have their own niche of what they like...but I would just as soon see the line condense into its strongest points, particularly going into what is likely collector-only/mostly year.  Focus on the basic figure line, with accompanying vehicles, beasts, playsets, etc. (although we won't get much of those)...then supplement with a more "collector" line like the 7" Unleashed, and throw in a kiddie line like Galactic Heroes.  Let Sideshow handle the 12", and the miniatures, Kubricks, MR, Gentle Giant, etc. lines are there for specialty collectors.  Leave the Transformers, Force Battlers, Choppers, and the like on the drawing board.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Agreed.

For collectors, you really only need the areas that you covered.  Props, statues (unleashed fits here), figures (both 12" and 3.75") and vehicles.  IMO, Hasbro dropped the ball with the 12" license. 

Sideshow recognized that opportunity and they will reap the benefits.

For kids, you need role play, 2" GH figures (no small parts), and MAYBE larger scale figures (Jedi Force) plus select corresponding vehicles/playsets - very few.

Now the question is where do the transformers and choppers fit in?  What about Force Battlers and Attactix?  How about Legos? 

Exactly! 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Customs (Choppers)
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2005, 01:12 PM »
It looks like this line is officially going to be called Star Wars Customs, according to Hasbro's update today.

We'll see Vader, Luke and Boba Fett: "These awesome choppers have rev n’ go action – rev the chopper forward and let it go for tons of bump n’ go fun!"

OK, so they're going for the playability factor with kids - good idea, but I still don't think they're going to go over big.  Even kids will say, "how come Darth Vader's driving a motorcycle?  He didn't do that in the movies."   ???  ::)

For more pics of the dumbest line of 2006, check out the Hasbro's update.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 01:15 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2005, 01:38 PM »
Yeah, maybe the kiddos will like them (maybe), but this is just a terrible idea.  With their quote "bump and go fun", maybe they are going after that obviously huge "Bump n Go" market that ToyBiz has.  I know I see the Spidey and Fantastic Four bump and go's selling like hotcakes. [/sarcasm]

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Quote from Jeff:
"Since it appears now that the Star Wars Customs (Choppers) don't really have anything to do with the 3.75" figure line, this topic might fit better over in the Other Collectibles area."

We should even acknowledge the existence of this ****** line by giving them their own thread  :D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird