Author Topic: EE Clone Trooper 4-Packs  (Read 163380 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Clone Trooper 4 Packs!
« Reply #75 on: January 5, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Good Points Brent, and while I've used the oil thing a few years ago to drive home the point that raw material costs are skyrocketing right now.  I have 2 friends that work in the glue business.  Their company is getting their ass handed to them thanks in large part to raw material costs and small profit margains on their products.  Toys I think have a pretty healthy profit margain but they also will suffer from increased production costs

And while I agree on the basic line and your points there...Exclsuives are something totally different.  Foreign collectors will get raped more on US Exclusives and that I don't think should suprise anyone.  It is the nature of collecting a US Based Toy line (as, again I point out with those of us who collect Asian based Kubricks)

And...I think Jeff is right too, EE has set the price on these, Hasbro gives retailers and etailers the Suggested Price, EE has the will to charge whatever they want based on what they think will sell

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 5, 2005, 10:27 AM »
 Foreign collectors will get raped more on US Exclusives and that I don't think should suprise anyone.  It is the nature of collecting a US Based Toy line (as, again I point out with those of us who collect Asian based Kubricks)

No argument whatsoever and it's why I end up being so grateful from a collecting standpoint to have so many friends in the US that are willing to help out.  Jim alone saves me hundreds of dollars a year, never mind the rest of you guys. 

I suspect that without the help of the Americans on JD I would have spent an additional $2000 last year in shipping, customs and brokerage fees simply because of outrageous shipping costs.  EE is not a pretty place for Canadians to order from, as Jesse indicated earlier in this thread.  I'm not sure why it is so much, there are cheaper options than UPS. 

End point being the best place to be a collector is in the US.  'Nuff said.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #77 on: January 5, 2005, 10:28 AM »
Of US Based Products ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: January 5, 2005, 10:37 AM »
You know, on second thought Brent, maybe Hong Kong would be a better place for collectors to live?

You could nab cheap Kubricks AND pick up the Star Wars stuff that "falls" off the Hasbro trucks AND you'd have it all weeks before everyone else in the USA!   :P

Hmmm... maybe I better ask the wife if she ever wanted to move to Asia?   :-\

Jeff
« Last Edit: January 5, 2005, 10:38 AM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 5, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Hmmm, wonder if they need a bug guy in Hong Kong?  Maybe if I found that stuff falling off the truck, I could just sell toys for a living.  Change my name to Andy Thong or something like that >:(

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 5, 2005, 10:41 AM »

So far my two favorite logics are:

"Well I live overseas and we pay $13 for basic figures so this is a steal and you need to quit whining about it"

&

"Well the CW version sells on Ebay for $20 so at $10+ you should be happy because that's a good value"

Neither opinion with any logic or solid thought behind it.   ::)

While I don't think you should be happy about EE's prices compared to what ebay prices are on the single carded SA clones, I do think that the going rate on ebay plays a part in why these will cost as much as they do.

If EE did indeed set their own prices on these sets, you can't tell me they didnt' take into consideration the going rate on ebay for SA clones. I'm sure that played a large part in why these are priced as high as $10/fig. They are in the market to make money, so why price a 4 pack of figs for $20 when the going rate for these on the secondary market is 4 times that.

And while I agree they "should" cost $5/fig because that is what they retailed for last year, show me where you can find one for $5 right now??

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 5, 2005, 10:51 AM »
Change my name to Andy Thong or something like that >:(

>:(   >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: January 5, 2005, 10:54 AM »
I agree that there's some good points coming out from Brent and Jeff, but I disagree on a few things somewhat...

And I don't think anyone's saying they DON'T sympathize with the plight of foreign collectors either.  If I could make sure everyone got figures for as cheap as possible, I would love to see it happen really...  I don't begrudge anyone, but GNT's argument has no solid basis in anything.

He basically is saying "We pay more, so you should be happy".  So yeah I agree you (meaning anyone outside the U.S.) has as much right to complain about pricing...  GNT is basically saying ONLY the people outside the U.S. can complain about it...  That we "have it good", when in reality we're buying what ammounts to a domestic product for the U.S., even if it's physically created in contracted factories over seas.

That said, I agree that I am not HAPPY to see anyone pay a ton for figures...  I don't like seeing it at local Toy Shows, on Ebay, overseas or whatever...  And it's everyone's right to say "this sucks", because it does.

As far as the US dollar fluctuations though, that's more a long-term economic effect...  No company is going to change price on the short-term based on that factor unless the U.S. dollar's value was truly expected to be at a new "permanent" low...  It's not though, so Hasbro's not going to change their pricing based on what's being considered wild dollar value fluctuations in the past year+.

Let's say the U.S. dollar made a huge gain just this month or next...  For whatever freaky reason.  Does that mean everyone should pay $30 per basic figure outside the U.S. then all of a sudden?  It's part of pricing and everything, but it really isn't going to affect an action figure's price in any way other than long-term, and if the value change took a more permanent plateau...  Which is unlikely.

I don't think anyone's disagreeing with your points, either entirely or mostly Brent, because I'm not I know...  And I don't believe in a "tough ****" attitude to anyone outside the U.S. either...  I wish nothing but good will to anyone outside the U.S. trying to get figures or whatever, and get them for cheapy cheap too.

The thing is though, these ARE import products to countries other than the U.S., and as long as the economic structure of the world stays (pretty much) as it currently is, which is how it has been for quite some time, then U.S. product exported to other countries will cost high prices in other nations, just as product from other nations exported here will cost more.  Global economics aren't near taking over enough to where things are more balanced globally.

To say that the U.S. collectors need to stop whining because someone buying what DOES ammount to import product in another country has to pay more, simply isn't logical on any level.  U.S. car buyers don't complain when they see sticker shock on a BMW.  Kubrick fans can't gripe too much about prices on them...  It's just expected.

I'd classify the Raw Materials similar to the FER as well...  Something that doesn't get highlighted as a sharp spike in price increases for product like we are seeing with Star Wars figures right now...

To me, it's more to the idea of Hasbro and EE (and whoever else you want to include) making that extra $ while they can.

The question then with the Clones is, will they sell as many units, and will the sales at the increased price match what was possibly made with MORE sales at a cheaper price?  That's not an easy question to answer...  not to mention any possible adverse effect this could have on turning consumers off to the brand, on killing possible future ideas, etc.

I have my set purchased too...  But I have my SET.  Not my sets.  So had these been $5 to $10 cheaper, then what kind of profits would we have been seeing?  

There's not much easy answer to this either because it's an exclusive, and there you throw yet another wrench into the whole concept...  And EE's also touting the famed, "Limited Edition" too with this...

By no means was anything meant to be offensive to collectors outside the U.S., and I tried being careful of that with my post because I know the topic is sensitive...  But everyone has a right to gripe about pricing, they just have to know why the pricing is what it is before they make their opinion known...

GNT didn't do his homework, and that I think we can all agree on.  And in the end, U.S. guys have as much right to cry foul on this as Canuckleheads and those over the pond(s) as well.  

And if anyone's happy to pay that, well then they're wealthier than I, or just easier going maybe.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: January 5, 2005, 10:58 AM »
[Scum Mod] Hey this isn't a chat room! [/end Scum Mod]  :)

Wow, 6 replies in the time it took me for one, and a poorly patched together one at that.

In the end, ideal is working in Hong Kong at a salary for a company that pays you a higher COL rate than what Hong Kong requires (Like working based ona  U.S. salary over in Hong Kong) and living like a king in their country because you're getting paid in foreign dollars but putting up with the costs of their country.

Then you're in collector heaven.  Hell you can get figures out the back door of factories for super cheap, and even not completely put together in some cases.

Ideal for customizers right there. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 5, 2005, 11:06 AM »
Wow!  I just saw these this morning.  The price is too high for me unfortunatley with a mortgage, newborn, 2 car payments, and ROTS products coming out in a few months.  That is a great exclusive though.  I really wish I had the extra mula for these.  I might get one set though.  To good to pass up!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #85 on: January 5, 2005, 01:44 PM »
The sad thing is, ebay, although convenient at times, has destroyed the value of collecting. I remember when I was into comics and even still with toys certain items were valued. Now you can find anything on ebay and usually half the price. It seems to have taken away the rarity of collecting, the fun of the chase, and although i may not be explaining it fully really hurt the toy industry.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 5, 2005, 02:02 PM »
The sad thing is, ebay, although convenient at times, has destroyed the value of collecting. I remember when I was into comics and even still with toys certain items were valued. Now you can find anything on ebay and usually half the price. It seems to have taken away the rarity of collecting, the fun of the chase, and although i may not be explaining it fully really hurt the toy industry.

As a former comic collector, I can relate.  It killed the card industry, comic industry and has hurt the toy market as well.  What was formerly rare in a given region no longer matters.  Print runs are huge regardless of what the subject is and now there is a national/global market you can access.  What I find odd is some of the items that retain value, above and beyond their counterparts - EU Dark Trooper versus Mara Jade for example.  Why?  I know that's drifting right out of context here, but it's  reasonable example. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 5, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I'm still considering which set to get.

I really only want the two clean versions, and that's $70 plus shipping. However, a set of all four 4-packs is $120 plus shipping, which isn't even double what two of the packs are.

So, do you guys think I should pay for the two packs that I want, or should I go for all four?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 5, 2005, 07:54 PM »
I think the idea of the packs is a good one: put a figure that a lot of people never saw in the first place back into circulation.  Since it is a figure that a lot of people would want multiples of, put it out there in multiple versions with no one version being more plentiful than another.  The fact that we can effectively pick which ones we want or don't want is very appealing, as there is no "chase" 4 pack or anything like that. 

What I don't like is the obvious price gouging.  When I went to the EE page, I nearly spit my juice out at the price for a single four pack.  35 dollars?  That's almost 9 bucks a figure, and as I have never ordered anything from EE that has cost under ten bucks to ship (then again, it's been a while since I ordered from them, so they're probably up to 20 by now) it would end up more than likely costing me 50 bucks for a single pack.  I'm hoping that some kind soul will let me in on a third of a case (I've already PM'd one person in this thread, so please have pity on me rebeltrader :) ), because I can justify paying 25 bucks a pack plus shipping more than I can 35.

The thing that *really* shocks me about all this is that SWShop.com didn't get these as exclusives.  After all, how many more people go to the Official Site and would see that they were on sale there than those who go to EE.  Actually before I even went to EEs site, I was thinking "they'll charge 30 bucks a pack for them" and they exceeded my expectations.  As horrid as the SWS.com service has been (that photo of the puppet at the computer still cracks me up every time I see it), I would think that they would sell them for about 25 bucks a pack.

EE is, in my opinion (and chuckles' as well it seems), watching Ebay for the original sales of the Clones and using that as their pricing gauge for the four packs.  The simple fact that the two Holiday exclusives prior to this year were made up from scratch, sculpt-wise (R2 is questionable) and went for 12.99 (isn't Yoda still on sale at SWS.com for that price?), when compared to the Holiday Jawas, an EE exclusive, who had new arms and new lightpipes in their heads, and went for 18 bucks? 

I'd be very curious to know EE's wholesale price on these from Hasbro, but I would be willing to bet it's well below what they are charging the consumer.  Oh well, welcome to the year of "IT'S THE LAST STAR WARS MOVIE EVER AND WE'RE CASHING IN!!!!!"

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 5, 2005, 08:23 PM »
Hemish and Doctor Padawan, check you PM.  I saved you the other two slots in the case I ordered.