Author Topic: EE Clone Trooper 4-Packs  (Read 163404 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Clone Trooper 4 Packs!
« Reply #30 on: January 4, 2005, 07:23 PM »
What more can I add?

Hasbro could've sold these damn things at retail and probably pushed more product, and made more $ for themselves.  At this stage of the game, I doubt people go ape **** and build mass armies with this...  I think we'll see it fail on some level, and Hasbro will take punishment out on us saying "well it didn't do well".

Yet another point in time the company won't pull its head out of its ass long enough to see the big picture, and that they could've easily moved that product at basic retail without having to screw its customers.

If someone needs another person to go in on a case, I'd really like to do that since it's the cheapest option to get a set.  Let me know, please.  I'm not sure after reading the thread exactly which of you guys need people to go in on one with you or not.

Just hit me up though!

This is a huge kick to the nuts...  It's a great concept, and it's something they needed to do for ages, but they executed like they do with so many other things by totally screwing us over in the process and then they'll blame the idea and the product instead of their own execution of it.  Great...  God dammit you know nobody running the show there is a fan at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #31 on: January 4, 2005, 08:14 PM »
Well Jesse beat me to the punch, I have to agree with him, the overall execution of these sets was poorly done. One has to ask why did this have to be an exclusive to EE, why not an exclusive to Target or TRU or why an exclusive at all? A widespread release of these 4 packs would have sold like hotcakes at Walmart, Target, KMart, etc.

And here's another thing to think about, why so much for the exclusives? By using an already developed set of molds to make these figures the overall costs in producing the figures has been significantly reduced. Add to that, that these could likely sell out, the production run costs drop with more units sold. For being an exclusive to EE, they could easily have just put these in white mailer boxes and sold them for $25 and made a lot of money. But this high price is going to make some think twice about buying these.

Personally, I won't be buying them, although not for the reasons I stated. I already have 7 SA Clones and with the rest of my Clonetroopers I have a pretty sizable clone army that doesn't really need much re-enforcements at this time. Though had I saw this in a store, I'd probably would have picked up the colored variant set.

Oh and I just thought of something else, won't these Clonetroopers become somewhat obsolete once ROTS hits theaters? Will we be getting another set featuring the different helmet? Just another way to rake in more bucks, surprising that this is the same company that treats its Transformers collectors so well....
« Last Edit: January 4, 2005, 08:17 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 4, 2005, 08:17 PM »

For being an exclusive to EE, they could easily have just put these in white mailer boxes and sold them for $25 and made a lot of money.

[cynic] Who says they won't do that down the line, after EE has sold out?  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see these showing up at SSW.com at the very least and probably in the aforementioned white mailers.  Not sure how much cheaper they'd be, but at least a little, probably around $25 a piece.  [/cynic]
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 4, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Dear Sweet Jesus...I...my god...can I justify spending $350 on these? What am I to do? Maybe just 5 sets? That's 20....ugh, I hate you Hasbro bastards.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 4, 2005, 08:32 PM »
I see each set comes with a 16x20 Clone Wars poster. Is this somehow influincing the high price?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #35 on: January 4, 2005, 08:40 PM »

For being an exclusive to EE, they could easily have just put these in white mailer boxes and sold them for $25 and made a lot of money.

[cynic] Who says they won't do that down the line, after EE has sold out?  I wouldn't at all be surprised to see these showing up at SSW.com at the very least and probably in the aforementioned white mailers.  Not sure how much cheaper they'd be, but at least a little, probably around $25 a piece.  [/cynic]

Morgbug, should those be [optimist] tags? :) Could they do the white mailer box thing down the road, sure, they could wind up doing anything down the road. I just don't really expect it to happen.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 4, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Nice product, but the price is total BS.  Greedy bastards.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: January 4, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Would it literally or would it because Hasbro would say "But you get a poster!?" :)

Honestly, a poster adds little value or cost to it...  Really, they have not a solid excuse in their pockets as to the costs of these.  I'm seeing some label the term "exclusive" as a reason for increased cost, but when all the mold toolings are done and the packaging is relatively simplistic (which it is) then there's not even much cost there beyond basic production.

With the molds being tooled, these should be $5 a piece, or less.

They should chime in at the 4-pack TRU price, where you at least get something NEW in each set generally.

This is one of those days you don't know what to do with yourself as a collector...  You just got something you asked for, but not even VAGUELY in the ballpark of the price you asked for it at.  There's another cruel irony to all this.  The company that reads the boards, totally glossed over ALL the SA Clonetrooper discussions that have gone on around the net in the last year +, as they all said that "Wow if we got these in a 4-pack like the Stormtroopers and stuff, that'd be great".

So Hasbro decides to A) change the packaging...  OK, cool, I don't mind that in the least since it looks nice.  And then B) increase the price by what, 50% from what those other 4-packs ran?

And they were all but exclusive in name too as I recall.  The Stormie set WAS exclusive to the fan club for quite some time...  The others were "dumped" when the Fan club folded then...  

This is bull ****, plain and simple.  I'm as close to being genuinely pissed off at collecting as I have been in a long time.  This hobby shouldn't frustrate us to this extent, ever.  

Total crap my friends...  Total crap.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #38 on: January 4, 2005, 09:04 PM »
I already have the differently colored Clones from the CW wave 1 walue packs, plus two SA Clones, and six sets of the three-packs from the CW line, so there is very little motivation to own any more of this style Clone, especially when it will be obsolete shortly. Plus this price is nonsense.

I think I'll just pass on them entirely. What's the point of owning more obsolete Clones at $35 a box?

Now, if this was a four-pack of VOTC Stormtroopers, this would be a different matter entirely.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 4, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Very nice but I'm not plopping down any $$$ on these.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 4, 2005, 09:05 PM »
I mean, geez, these things are $35.99 plus shipping for a 4 pack.  That's $10 per figure.  We got these things for $5 sold individually.  Don't prices go DOWN when you buy more of something at one time?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 4, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Well, if you buy the whole case (like I did  ::) ) they come out to only $6.25 per figure, plus shipping. Not great, but not bad, considering what they are going for on ebay. I wonder if this release will actually drop the price of them on the secondary market?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: January 4, 2005, 09:19 PM »
Don't prices go DOWN when you buy more of something at one time?

Theoretically, yes, but when it comes to Hasbro they seem to become scrooge with stuff and increase prices as more of it is sold. :)  They're the anti-thesis of Cost-Co.

Is ANYONE going in on a case that needs someone else in on it?

I really would like a set...  1 of each 4-pack, but I'm wanting cheapest price possible.  If nobody's got room left on going in on a case I need to look elsewhere...  Likely locally.

This really just pisses me off, as sad as it is to say.  I want these, but that price is downright offensive given what these should be selling to us for.

I'm already seeing tons of folk claim that it's the articulation that is making them cost so much...   ::)  How soon people forget that this figure's already been made, and that the mold toolings cost (highest single cost on any figure) have already been met, and now will only depreciate with EVERY unit sold of this product.  For every single one of those Clones, the mold cost is depreciating rapidly and will be no more than a packaging cost or materials cost by the time this cluster **** is all said and done I would wager.

****, these things should sell for LESS than $5 considering they're practically pure profit.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: January 4, 2005, 09:23 PM »
OK, nix me from being on the needy list...

Local guys are going in on a case so I'm going with them on this.  Will extra save on shipping too anyway.

I hope we all can get a set as reasonably as possible.   ::)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 4, 2005, 09:31 PM »
Anybody know how much shipping will be? I'm guessing around $10-$20... :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks