Author Topic: Insomnia = Hell  (Read 8024 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: Insomnia = Hell
« Reply #45 on: September 8, 2005, 10:05 AM »
Chewie and Zod -- I feel for you -- I went through something similar to that a few years ago.  It worked itself out eventually.  I still go through spells though.  It gets into a vicious cycle -- the more I get stressed about not sleeping -- the harder it is to sleep.  Sleep deprevation is underrated, IMO.  People just don't understand what it does to you.  Whether it is a product of insomnia or the nocturnal habits of babies/young children -- it can really wreck you.  Sorry you guys are going through this :(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 8, 2005, 10:26 AM »
Honestly it hasn't been a huge problem for me.  I generally get 7 hours of sleep per night and I sleep soundly.  It can just sometimes be annoying when I got into bed a half hour ago and am not asleep yet.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 8, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Thanks Tamidala.

Well, I went to the doctor again today, and they were shocked that the Lunesta isn't working like it should.  Not to get too personal, but they are putting me on Zocor and Xanax for a while, which are anxiety/anti-depressants.

They did bloodwork too, and seem really concerned about my thyroid.  They said that could have something to do with it.  When I was really young, I had all kinds of tests done because they thought I had a thyroid disease, but whatever it was cleared up.  I'm trying to get more information from my parents about it, but they said that was all there was to it... that I was tested a lot when I was 2-3 years old.  I don't remember any of that.  I should get my blood test results in a few weeks and have to go back to the doctor for another test on Oct. 6th.

Hopefully though, it's not related to that.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: September 9, 2005, 02:17 AM »
Thanks Tamidala.

Well, I went to the doctor again today, and they were shocked that the Lunesta isn't working like it should.  Not to get too personal, but they are putting me on Zocor and Xanax for a while, which are anxiety/anti-depressants.

They did bloodwork too, and seem really concerned about my thyroid.  They said that could have something to do with it.  When I was really young, I had all kinds of tests done because they thought I had a thyroid disease, but whatever it was cleared up.  I'm trying to get more information from my parents about it, but they said that was all there was to it... that I was tested a lot when I was 2-3 years old.  I don't remember any of that.  I should get my blood test results in a few weeks and have to go back to the doctor for another test on Oct. 6th.

Hopefully though, it's not related to that.

My Mom has Insomnia as well and hers is related to her thyroid I believe. I really don't want to sound negative but nothing has really worked for her either.  :-\

I did see a diet pill on TV that has thyroid control. The lady said, "It works. Really Works." Maybe you could give that a try. :-*
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2005, 09:24 AM »
Hmmmm.... sorry to hear about your mother SLC.  I know how hard it can be.

I saw that diet pill commercial yesterday actually!  I think it's called Thyra-something.  I might end up trying that.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2005, 10:24 AM »
Thanks Tamidala.

they are putting me on Zocor and Xanax for a while

Mmmm...I think the ol' Zocor is a -statin class drug which basically controls cholesterol levels.

The Xanax makes sense though.

Finally got around to peeking into this thread, it sucks that you're having so much trouble sleeping Justin.  Hopefully one of these cocktails will find it's mark eventually.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2005, 11:43 AM »
My mom suffers from insomnia.  Her Dr. put her on Ambien and she has had bad experiences with it.  It works well to help her fall asleep -- but if she wakes up before she sleeps it off -- usually after about 4 hours -- she wanders around the house and babbles and has horrible hallucinations.  The first time it happened it scared my father to death.  He found her on the floor in the kitchen crying because she thought she had killed one of her grandchildren.  No amount of reassuring could convince her otherwise  :'(  It happens everytime she takes it and wakes up too soon. :(
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 10:37 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2005, 04:06 PM »
Whoops, not Zocor - I meant Zoloft.

Tamidala - wow, I'm glad I'm not on Ambien.  My doctor said it could cause some problems with waking up early... maybe she should switch to something else.   :-

Dressel - well, this weekend I've gotten some great sleep for the first time in about 2 months, so hopefully things will start getting better.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Glad to hear you got some good sleep.  Yes, I'm pretty sure my mom has stopped taking the Ambien.  The cure was worse than the problem :(.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Glad to hear you got some good sleep.  Yes, I'm pretty sure my mom has stopped taking the Ambien.  The cure was worse than the problem :(.

Holy crap.  Agreed.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Well, the problem for the most part has gotten better, thankfully.  But sunday night was a pretty bad night, didn't fall asleep until 4am, had to get up at 7am, so I was exhausted.  And last night I needed to take a double dose of my medicine to fall asleep my 3am.  I hope the cycle isn't happening again.  The last thing I want is more blood work.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 11:15 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Wow someone else who had the  same effects as myself on Ambien.  I was on it for a couple days and my wife said it really messed me up so I stopped taking it.  At one point I had gotten up, sleep walked and had a 20-30 minute bizzare discussion with my wife.  She thought I was messed up on some heavy drugs and said my behavior was just over the top.  I dont remember one second of it. 

Xanax will definitetly work for relaxing and helping with the sleep, but I would not recommend it.  Unless it was a very low dosage.  I had a high dosage prescription for flying and it just knocked me out. 

If I have sleep problems nowadays I will occasionaly just use an over the counter sleep pill.  They make me sleep very soundly.  I believe the main thing in them is the same that is used in alot of antihistimenes (sp?).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2005, 12:15 PM »

If I have sleep problems nowadays I will occasionaly just use an over the counter sleep pill.  They make me sleep very soundly.  I believe the main thing in them is the same that is used in alot of antihistimenes (sp?).

You're exactly right, Jim.  The over the counter sleeping pills (like Nytol) are antihistamines that have sedation as a side effect and so are marketed for sleeping.  If they are used just once in a while, they are quite safe.  But using them repeatedly can cause some "tolerance" and people become dependent on them for sleep.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Well, the problem for the most part has gotten better, thankfully.  But sunday night was a pretty bad night, didn't fall asleep until 4am, had to get up at 7am, so I was exhausted.  And last night I needed to take a double dose of my medicine to fall asleep my 3am.  I hope the cycle isn't happening again.  The last thing I want is more blood work.

Chewie -- glad to hear that the insomnia was getting better for you :).  I, too, hope that the past couple of nights are just a fluke and that you don't get in that cycle again. :(  Best of luck.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I had a slight problem with this last week- was sleeping only 3 hours a nite. Working 2 14 hour shifts last weekend did the trick-natural remedy worked great.

Chewie- hurry up and get some rest will yah, I only want to see the next R. Enloe episode. So get some shuteye so I can view your next spin on it