Collectibles > Clone Wars '03-'05

When did the Clone Wars line become such a hot line?

(1/4) > >>

Vator:
It seems the CW line has become a very expensive line on the secondary market. Even those (see: shelf-warming) Anakin's Star Fighters are going for about $50-60.

So what gives? Do new collectors want to get caught up on what they missed? Have people forgotten the abundance of that line (other than the Tail End Charlie's of course)?

Jesse James:
ROTS popularity...  I attribute it to that anyway.  Couple that with kids being tech savvy, finding out about these items they missed prior to their "interest", and I think they're more in-demand.

My gf's kids were just looking up stuff the other day on Ebay...  I didn't even realize they knew about Ebay.  They were looking up Legos and all kinds of random things and were looking for SW stuff.  I was impressed.

Nathan:
Good question.

It kind of sucks too. I never saw the majority at retail (before I had my driver's license thus my search pattern was much more limited), and I passed on some of the stuff I did see. But it really isn't cost-effective to get caught up right now, so I'll have to wait for prices to come down or for rereleases on some items (Geonosian Starfighter, for example). $60 for a boxed vehicle I'm going to open anyway is insane.

Diddly:
I think it's the rarity of the items.

Back when they were released, there was that giant drought, and around here, all of the 2003 figs didn't start showing up until the fall. Of course, the crappiest CW figures were released first - Anakin, Yoda, and the only Wave 1 winner, the ARC Trooper. I saw the ARC once, but the other two warmed pegs for months until the 04/HOF figs began showing up. This caused retail to not order any of the Wave 2 or 3 figures, which contained the figs everyone wanted. Many people never saw them, and now eBay is their last resort. Scalpers jack up the prices, and the people pay them to complete their collections.

The same could also be said for vehicles and deluxe, which very few found.

Then again, this is just my assumption, it's probably something completely different.

Nathan:
For me at least, finding the basics wasn't the problem (except for Durge, Asajj, and obviously the SA clone). I did see the second and third waves; and I even snagged a red ARC!

I guess it partly comes down to regionality, too. I've heard of even the clone 3-packs sitting in some places. It's always weird to read about pegwarmers in one area being impossible to find in another, and vice versa.

With the CW TV series coming in 2007, we can hope some of this stuff will get rereleased. You listening, Hasbro?

Like the Geonosian Starfighter, the Aqua Jedi Starfighter seems like a somewhat more logical rerelease since it's from the film (OK OK, DVD deleted scene).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version