Collectibles > Saga Collection '06

Advertising

(1/3) > >>

CHEWIE:
Do you guys think that Hasbro advertises the Star Wars line enough?

I don't watch the kiddie channels, so I don't know if they have many toy commericals for the ROTS line.  But I do remember seeing all kinds of commercials for the line back in the day when I was a kid in the early 80s.

Of course now there are a billion things that kids are interested in too besides Star Wars...

The line seems to do pretty well as it is, and I think this has been the most popular Star Wars summer since 1983... but should they advertise more?  Will they do so when the ROTS line dies out?

With the supposed TV series coming out, maybe we'll see some commercials to coincide with the series?

What about magazine ads?  Or other forms of media?  We see a ton of it online of course.

What do you guys think?

:P

DoctorPadawan:
Ironically, the only advertisements I've seen in magazines in recent years were for the Unleashed line.  It seems like every wave of figures had an advert (sometimes more than one per wave), and they were usually well-done too. 

I know that there was a basic figure ad back before 04/02 that showed a silhouette of the 12 Collection 1 figures with the release date at the bottom, but other than that, I think it's been since the "Watch Those Hands" POTJ 25th Anniversary ad that I've seen a basic figure ad.  Sad too, as I always used to get really excited when they would show the commercials for the ROTJ toys on Saturday morning cartoons.

Of course that was back when there was such a thing as Saturday morning cartoons.   :-\

speedermike:
Hasbro ran a few magazine adds during the second part of Saga.  But it was odd because the adds were in toy collector magazines (Tomarts, Toy Fare), and I thought that the SW line was for kids...

Jesse James:
Advertising toylines is supposedly less effective, or so the story goes...  I think it's something good for magazines...  On TV it's tougher.  Adults collecting or wanting to collect generally get into it on their own...  Targeting kids is tough because a lot of stations aren't always willing to air "toy commercials" on their channel (MTV for instance)... 

I know I don't see SW advertised much of anywhere though.

Brian:
Aside from some commercials for the Darth Vader Voice Helmet (and lightsabers), and some LEGO stuff, I haven't really seen any ads on TV for quite some time.  There might have been a couple right towards the beginning of the ROTS hype, but those two above are the ones I remember best.  I haven't seen anything on TV for a long time now though.

I've seen a few more print ads, but they've been in Star Wars Insider...so take that for what its worth.  I remember the numerous Unleashed ads (those seem to be the most common), and a few others here and there.  During "Saga", I remember the blue coat/brown coat Hoth Han ad, and a few other for figures during that timeframe I think.  I also remember there being an ad for VOTC Han, having him "blast" his way out of the package...since he had so much articulation apparently :).  Overall, I've seen more of the print ads, but I think they've always been in Insider, so I don't know if they show up anywhere else.  I would say, for the most part, if you're reading Insider...you already know about these figures coming out ;).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version