Author Topic: Commander Faie  (Read 2602 times)

Offline AdamSolo

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Commander Faie
« on: July 26, 2005, 03:26 PM »
Well this is what I've been working on for the past month or so. Some things didn't turn out like I wanted them to (mainly the hood) but I think over all it looks pretty good.  :)

Sorry about how bad the pictures are, I'm still trying to figure out how to manage all the settings on my camera.  :(

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Commander Faie
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 04:13 PM »
I think your picture quality is just fine, and your customizing skills are even better!

This is definitely a well done and thought out custom.  I have no doubt that this took a while to do... epoxy?  I've always been curious about that stuff but haven't ever used it.  I have enough troubles with sculpy that I don't think I could handle epoxy!

Is the cape flexible at all? 

I think this would be a no brainer for Hasbro to make...

Great job, and thanks for sharing it here.

:P

Offline AdamSolo

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Yes, I used epoxy. Last time I used sculpy it started breaking off very easily after it was done cooking so I decided to just stick with what I knew was going to be strong. The downside to it is that it dries VERY fast and once it is dry it's almost impossible to do anything else with unless you want to do a lot of sanding. There is probably about 6 hours of sanding that was done for this one figure so this will be my last sculpting project for a while :P

The cape is not flexible, the epoxy dries extremly hard so he is basically a display figure. There is still articulation in the elbows, wrists, knees, and ankles. :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:21 AM »
Sounds really cool but a lot of hard work!   ;)

I might try working with epoxy someday.  Seeing what you have done is very inspiring.   :)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 01:37 PM »
Great job Adam  ;D  Is that a Bust-Ups Stormtrooper helmet?

CHEWIE - I highly recommend epoxy putty (try the Games Workshop brand - aka "Greenstuff").  It dries super hard and works great to stick two pieces together as well.  I stopped using Sculpey clay once I got this stuff.  The only drawback is that it is a bit sticky so it'll pick up your fingerprints - you'd have to smooth it over (I use a latex glove).
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline AdamSolo

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Great job Adam  ;D  Is that a Bust-Ups Stormtrooper helmet?
It's a VOTC Stormtrooper helmet, many thanks to Scoobacca from RS for providing it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:39 PM »
You know those little breathing nozzels that are silver?  I think you might want to paint the area around them black, it would be more accurate and probably look very cool (I did it to all of my VOTC Stormies).

Offline sith_fire30

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 2, 2005, 09:14 AM »
Great job on Faie!!!