Author Topic: Cool Kid Collectors  (Read 3232 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Cool Kid Collectors
« on: July 29, 2005, 04:39 PM »
Well, there is a stereotype that  most kids don't really like Star Wars figures, are into the Pokemon and Power Ranger stuff, etc.  Every once in a while I see a kid going crazy for Star Wars stuff... more with the ROTS than any other Star Wars line since the early 1980s in seems...

Anyways, today might have been the BEST toy run I've ever gone on.  I didn't find much figure-wise, but instead found something even better - a great conversation about Star Wars with a 10 year old at Walmart.

He was looking for a General Grievous figure, and there were two different kinds... he said he only wanted to get one, because his mom told him he could get 4 figures.  He wanted to get four different characters... including Luke.

I told him that there wouldn't be any Luke Skywalker figures out for a while.  He was pretty bummed about that.  He was looking for a ROTJ Luke, and said he had the one that had the button on his back and he didn't like that figure.  Even said he wish they would make a super articulated version like the #41 Clonetrooper!

He then asked me to help him decide on what figures to get, which I thought was really cool.  I told him to get whatever he wanted, and he said that he didn't want to pass up any figures that are shortpacked because he might not get a chance to find them again. 

As in most Walmarts, there is a second section in the main toy section that has some Star Wars stuff too.  I went back there and found a new Pilot Obi Wan Kenobi... I really wanted an extra of this figure, but told him that I would pick this as one of the 4 figures he could get.  He asked if it was a good figure, and I said it's probably the best Obi Wan Kenobi the've made in the prequel line.

While helping him pick out two more figures, he asked me which was my favorite Star Wars film.  I told him either ANH or ESB, or ROTS.  He said that he liked ROTS, but "wished that it had focused more on Anakin's seduction to the Dark Side."  I couldn't believe he said that!!

He ended up getting the 4-saber Grievous, the Pilot Obi Wan, a Clone Pilot and Darth Vader. 

Just thought I'd share that little story... I hope this section is appropriate for this story, as it kind of relates to the upcoming SAGA line because he did want a Luke figure... this kid proved to me that not all kids want those action features too... plus sometimes kids do think like adults.

:P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 04:39 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Kid Collectors
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 05:20 PM »
Ya know, I had a similar experience yesterday at Target. I was waiting for the slow ass employees to get an Evolutions set for me (I'm selling it to Vator), and a 9 or 10 year old walks up. He picked up the last Mustafar Anakin and a Clone Trooper and saw that I had another Mustafar Anakin and a Bacara in my hand.

He asked if I was a big fan of Star Wars, to which I replied, "Yeah, it's pretty cool." He then asked if I was waiting on the guys to bring out newer figures, and I said I was waiting for an Anakin Evolution set. He asked what that was, so I told him what all was in it, as well as the price, and he said "cool!" When the employee came out, he brought out the entire case. It had three sets left (I snagged one on Tuesday), I picked up one for Vator, and the kid picked up the second to last. Just as I was leaving, another kid, probably around 5 or 6, came up with his dad and got the last set, saying "Neat, two good guys and a bad guy!".

So it's good to see that kids are still into the line, although there aren't enough for Hasbro to claim that kids drive the line.

EDIT: Chewie, I also heard a lot of kids asking about Luke on 4/2. They dug through the pegs asking "Where's Luke, where's Han," etc. I informed them that there wouldn't be a Luke or Han in this packaging, and they all went "Lame, I'm sick of that hunchback Luke!" and bought lightsabers instead. Funny stuff.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 05:22 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 07:45 PM »
That is funny.  Everytime I have seen a kid in the aisles they are always looking for the following...Luke, Han, Vader, Chewy, Anakin, Kenobi.  We all laugh or get pissed about Hasbro releasing some of these characters all the time but that's why they do it. 

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 12:37 AM »
Great stories guys, I've had similar experiences since the ROTS line came out, especially at C3 with kids coming up to the FFURG booth and being all excited about the new figures that we're coming out. I remember a few weeks back I was at Target and there were two little girls checking out the ROTS figures and they both knew the ins and outs of each character as they were trying to decide which figures they wanted. They were looking for Anakins and Yodas of any type, but since Target at the time was cleared out of them, I believe they settled for Polis Massan, because it was so cute :P

It's always great to see kids checking out the SW section and I think in the last 3 months I've seen more kids looking for SW toys than in the last 5 years. Unfortunately, I feel that the attention spans of kids today are even shorter than when I was a youngling as it's all about the video games and other consumer electronics. But maybe some of those kids who want a Luke or Han will be sticking around for 2006 when we're sure to get several of each.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 01:03 AM »
I've seen a couple little bastards over the years too...

Actually though I'm back to seeing less kids in the aisles...  Still though I see the odd kid here and there, or mom looking for kid...  I tend to only interact when I see they can't find something...  I did send one lady to the WM down the street not too long ago because what she said her son was looking for wasn't at Target but I'd just been to WM and they had it...

The funny thing I heard from her though was, "Wow, this green guy must be popular, there's a lot of him".  About the Neimodian Gunner...  Eh, it gave me a chuckle anyway.

My gf's kids have bought some stuff, but not much...  They're into the Lego's though, and we've watched all 6 films together at home too...  They still laugh at me when I've got them with me on a toy run and I can't find anything but they always find Lego's to buy...  Damn kids.   ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 02:37 AM »
I think the kids are buying this line. You can't get an Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, or anything past #44. I was shocked by the complete lack of the three Jedi. I honestly thought they'd be the biggest pegwarmers of all time.

All I saw today was #35 Palpatines, Neimoidians, Clone Pilots, Polis, and Mas Amedda. No joke. That's it. Pegs and pegs and pegs of them.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 02:15 AM »
Unfortunately, I feel that the attention spans of kids today are even shorter than when I was a youngling as it's all about the video games and other consumer electronics.

I completely agree, kids are growing up without imaginations. All their toys do things, make noise, light up or are video games.  I have always hated action features, even launching missiles and the like.  I hope I am wrong, imaginations are important.

I do note the insane kid lust for the toy lightsabers. My nephew has four of them already!  I think my sister got extras so I can defend myself, but I never get Mace's saber.  :'(
who Learned you To spoke!