Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 122564 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005 - League is Live!!
« Reply #1080 on: February 13, 2006, 02:36 PM »
I'm all for anything to boost the level of competition.  Jeff's team has really run away with it and the guy closest to taking 2nd place from me is Brent, who's 14 points back, but has used about a billion more games than me at every position but goalie to get to this point.

I agree.  The level of competition isn't where it should be.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1081 on: February 13, 2006, 02:59 PM »
I agree.  The level of competition isn't where it should be.

That's funny, I have no problems with the way things are going in our league right now...   :P

Seriously though, I do think we could change it up next year and it would not affect the "fun factor" at all.  H2H can be just as fun if everyone is engaged and willing to do it that way.  As long as all the changes are laid out BEFORE we draft, I would be open to re-jiggering the league a little for next year.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 13, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Looking over the league just now, one problem I see is the "goalie hoarding" by some teams (having 4 and 5 goalies) yet they are still way under on using goalie games. 

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1083 on: February 13, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Looking over the league just now, one problem I see is the "goalie hoarding" by some teams (having 4 and 5 goalies) yet they are still way under on using goalie games.

If you are refering to me I just picked up most of them in the last month or two, because I had only 2 or 3 for most of the beginging of the season, and I picked up more so I could try and catch up. It doesn't help that they all seem to play on the same nights, or are the backups. But yeah I do agree thhat a Head to Head system may work better for net year.
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1084 on: February 13, 2006, 04:41 PM »

Yeah, Brent and I were talking about this the other day. 

Each goalie spot = 82 games so that's 164 games total.  Each goalie will only start 50-60 games during the year (less if they are splitting 50/50 like the Wild do).   If your goalie is only getting 40-50 starts, then you will need more like 3-4 goalies in order to reach that 164 game cap.  Once you add in times you start a goalie only to have him not play, or times your goalies get injured (like both mine were at the start of the year), goalie hoarding becomes a necesity to reach your cap.   :-\

Take my team for example - Lehtonen and Nabokov went on the IR early so I picked up Manny and Giguere to cover for hem and have 3 good goalies.  Once the first 2 came back from IR, I realized that I was still going to need to have all of them to reach my goalie cap.  Hell, even with 5 goalies I'm still 5 games under the pace for our cap. 

While I was for raising the cap for the scorer positions, I would actually be in favor of lowering either the # of starting goalie spots to 1 if we go to a H2H format OR maybe lowering the goalie cap to 60games if we keep 2 goalies like we have now.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1085 on: February 13, 2006, 05:31 PM »
I'll admit to Goalie hoarding...only because at one point I was 20 games under paced for the max allowed with 3 Goalies on my roster.  This was like 2 months ago and with 5 goalies on my roster I am still 12 down

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 13, 2006, 05:40 PM »
I'm goalie hoarding because all the good ones are gone.  I was lucky enough to get Esche off waivers, but Markkanen barely counts as a goalie.

I like the notion of reducing the number of goalie starts so that it's possible to actually stay at pace for using them all up.  I also like the idea of limiting the number of goalies that can be kept to 3 or so...  I also like the idea of changing up the points to something like Win=2, OT/L =1, S/O = 4  - but all that might be moot depending on everything else.  It seemed like goalies weren't valuable enough this year - people didn't start drafting them (it seemed) until round 4 - 6-ish and then they started getting very hard to come by once everyone realized what was up...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 14, 2006, 01:06 AM »
Again, I can't fault the goalie hoarders.  I agree it's a problem that needs to be resolved, but for those of us without, we dropped the ball, that's all.  That's why I traded Kovalchuk for Brodeur.  My number one for Kevin's number one, so a fair one for one deal.  He gets scoring and I get another starter to pick up some of those empty games.  As Rob pointed out, I'm way over in some categories, especially left wing, so away he went. 

As far as my hockey dudes being way over at other positions, it's intentional.  I tend to view injuries as more common later in the season, so get the games while you can.  It could totally backfire late in the season though.  We'll see what happens. 

I'm still stuck on non head to head leagues though.  Anyone up for drafting once but running it in two different ways? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 14, 2006, 03:42 PM »
I know I need to grab another goalie but there are absolutely none available.  I guess I have to seek out a trade but from the sounds of things, no one wants to trade one away.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 14, 2006, 03:46 PM »
No, I think guys will trade.  I had lots of offers for Kovy, I just wanted the one I eventually got.  All of a sudden I'm sitting on four, two legitimate starters, one guy stealing time from one of your goalies (Huet) and one guy on IR that was supposed to be out only a couple of games.  About two months ago. 

I was very lucky that Lundquist established himself as a number one though :)

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 1, 2006, 02:23 AM »
Rick Nash is available for a goalie.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1091 on: March 1, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Dagnabit!  Forgot to set my line-up last night and missed out on 3 pts from Koivu...  :'(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 1, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Yeah, I set my Tuesday through Thursday rosters before the Olympic break just incase I forgot.  In any event, barring about 3 or 4 major injuries to your squad, no one's going to catch you Jeff.  I'm starting to think that it's just about wrapped up.  It sucks too because I'm convinced that if McCabe and Demitra had managed to stay healthy, I'd be a hell of a lot closer to the lead.  Maybe not in the lead, but certainly within 10 or 20 points.  They were both on an absolute tear and neither one of them has done very much since missing extended time.   :'(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 1, 2006, 02:23 PM »
  In any event, barring about 3 or 4 major injuries to your squad, no one's going to catch you Jeff.  I'm starting to think that it's just about wrapped up. 

You sir, drive me nuts.  Don't give up.  Any of a number of injuries may occur.  You could make trades to pick up a hot player.  His guys could dog it for the rest of the season while yours excel.  Sheesh, there's a quarter of the season left and you're giving up?  There's no such thing as wrapped up.  Besides, whatever happened to giving it your best.  If you're about to give up though, lmk, I'll take some of your guys. :-*

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 1, 2006, 03:44 PM »
I'm certainly not throwing in the towel - just being realistic, and pushing for a little reverse mojo...  52 points in this league is a BIG margin to overcome.