Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 122546 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005 - League is Live!!
« Reply #1095 on: March 1, 2006, 04:07 PM »
The league ends on April 17th.

By my count, that's aproximately 45 days (figuring in a couple "no games today" blanks).  All you have to do is make up a point or two every day on average and you are right back in it.

I'm a bit worried since Nagy is out for the year and Hasek is a question mark at the moment.  I'm also hearing bad things about Jagr's groin as well... thanks a lot Torino.   >:(

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 1, 2006, 04:44 PM »
Yep, that's part of the reason I'm so far over on games, got them while I could from the good guys.  But it looks like it will backfire a bit as well, so I may start dropping off now instead. 

Only big plus is I went from having one decent starting goalie to having three  :o  I picked up Huet when Theodore was slumping and now he's hurt so Huet is number one in Montreal :o  Brodeur should play almost all of the remaining games as well plus I'm way over on LW so offloading Kovy was good.  That leaves me with my original number 1, Lundquist. 
I'm certainly not throwing in the towel - just being realistic, and pushing for a little reverse mojo... 52 points in this league is a BIG margin to overcome.

As Jeff pointed out not really.  Torino may really hurt some guys, literally and figuratively, but it may spur on some others instead. 

Should be a cool finish as well as Jamie and Jason have a shot as well.  Lots of time yet. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 1, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Yeah, Torino has me pissed off - I lost Demitra and Frolov for indefinite periods of time.  One might be back soon, the other is exected out at least 10 days.

And Demitra had finally started to shake off the rust after his last injury right before the Olympic break...  >:(

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 1, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Let the record show that I have no intentions of throwing in the towel. I fully expect to be in first when the seasons over  :P

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 2, 2006, 08:50 PM »
I have a shot to finish high, but goaltending is what scares me.  I just haven't had quality all season.  That's been my main weakness.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1100 on: March 3, 2006, 12:36 PM »
52 points, 49 days left

61 points, 47 days left

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005
« Reply #1101 on: March 9, 2006, 01:37 PM »
Sorry, had to laugh (and vent) about some ongoing trade proposals between Scott and I.  He offered me Kiprusoff for Gaborik, then canceled the deal and asked for Gaborik and Corvo.  He was getting 31 more points in the deal.  I declined and offered him Gaborik for Kiprusoff and he said he wasn't giving up his number 1 goalie "for just Gabby."  Right now, Kiprusoff has scored TWO more points than Gaborik.  Fantasy GMs never cease to amaze me.   ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1102 on: March 9, 2006, 10:59 PM »
Yeah but look at the dropoff to the next goalie to a dime a dozen wing, why in hell would I make that deal, the first deal I offered was a mistake which is why it was quickly canceled

And he's not only my #1 Goalie, he's the #1 goalie in Hockey

A back-up wing is not enough, sorry
« Last Edit: March 9, 2006, 11:03 PM by Scott »

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 10, 2006, 12:12 AM »
Yeah but look at the dropoff to the next goalie to a dime a dozen wing, why in hell would I make that deal, the first deal I offered was a mistake which is why it was quickly canceled

And he's not only my #1 Goalie, he's the #1 goalie in Hockey

A back-up wing is not enough, sorry

And why would I give you 30+ more points in a deal just so I can say I have hockey's top goalie?  Come on now.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1104 on: March 10, 2006, 09:19 AM »
Because...

#1  You were the one that wanted him
#2  You need to make my team better, by trading him away, I lose 34 points at G to my next highest Goalie and only gain 10 at RW and 11 at D over my worst 2 guys.  You could look at Yahoo's ranks and do the same thing, Kiprosoff is ranked #5 while Gaborik and Corvo are 40th and 111th

Like I said, I wasn't going to give him away for one of your back-up Wingers

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 10, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Because...

#1  You were the one that wanted him
#2  You need to make my team better, by trading him away, I lose 34 points at G to my next highest Goalie and only gain 10 at RW and 11 at D over my worst 2 guys.  You could look at Yahoo's ranks and do the same thing, Kiprosoff is ranked #5 while Gaborik and Corvo are 40th and 111th

Like I said, I wasn't going to give him away for one of your back-up Wingers

Reality is Scott, every guy in this league would probably want Kipper.  The other reality is I'm not going to hurt my team by overpaying for a guy.  I'm in the hunt for the top spot.  You are not.  I can see how you'd ask for the moon for the guy, but no one in their right mind would pay that price, and obviously didn't.  I look at even value in trades and Gaborik for Kipper straight up was pretty even as, at the time, they were separated by 2 points.  I don't look at the crazy logic you posted here.  That means nothing.  And how is Gaborik a backup winger?  He's one of my strongest wings and has more points than 2 of your 3 RWs (Knuble has 1 point more than Gabby.)  You seem to be very confused on a lot of this stuff.  But now the deadline has passed so oh well.  Good luck staying out of the cellar.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:41 AM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1106 on: March 10, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I see Jason's point about wanting equal "value", but I also see Scott's point too.

Here are the top Goalies:
M. Kiprusoff (Cgy - G) = 56pts
M. Brodeur (NJ - G)  = 45pts
D. Hasek (Ott - G) = 43pts
M. Legace (Det - G) = 42pts
M. Turco (Dal - G) = 41pts

Now, would I give up Hasek (43pts) (when he was healthy I mean) for Pierre Marc-Bouchard (45pts), a guy who is not even on anyone's roster?  Uh... no.  To give up the best goalie in the league, I'd expect a top-flight guy in return just like Scott.  I mean, Brent had to dangle Ilya Kovalchuk (78pts) to get himself a top-flight goalie...

I guess maybe that is a sign that maybe Goalies were a bit undervalued in our league this year, but given the "goalie" hoarding problem we have, it would've been even WORSE if goalies were worth more.   :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 10, 2006, 12:13 PM »
I mean, Brent had to dangle Ilya Kovalchuk (78pts) to get himself a top-flight goalie...

Nah, I picked up Huet off waivers :-X 

Actually the painful part is I was probably a month late making the trade for a goalie.  I have 45 games to make up and that won't happen between Brodeur/Huet/Lundquist.  The funny thing is Toivonen was listed as DTD during the early part of his injury.  Back in December ::)

I figure I should finish about 5-6th in the league unless my goalies really do well over the stretch run.  I've a decent shot on that basis, but I could use 2-3 more goalies.

For next year I'm leaning towards a reduced roster as compared to this year.  Possibly adding some other stats, including an occasional one with negative connotations as well.  Simply putting in -1 for a loss and having a win be worth 2 points for the goalies really changes things quickly. 

Does anyone know what the schtick is with yahoo for playoffs?  Is there a pool that runs for that?  Is there any interest in doing one?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 10, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Not sure what Yahoo does for the playoffs, if anything.

So what are everyone's thoughts on planning for next season?  I think we need to go to a head-to-head format because looking at all the Yahoo leagues run here at JD, the point-based system is flawed each and every time.  I also think we need to cap the # of goalies each team can have.  I'm saying 3 max. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1109 on: March 10, 2006, 12:28 PM »
It's not crazy logic, Goalies are at a Premium, I have the top one,You wanted him and  I want maximum value for him

Points are not points as Jeff pointed out, I could go and pick up a guy off waivers like Mike Sillinger who has only 3 points less than Gaborik.  Who could I pick up at Goalie?

Your logic smacks of sour grapes, sorry, and I will try and stay out of the cellar with Kipper leading the way with another shutout last night :-*