Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 276758 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #1110 on: May 30, 2005, 11:45 PM »
I found a Gamling the other day.  How weird is that?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1111 on: June 6, 2005, 09:28 AM »
Picked up the Pelennor Fields set at Suncoast on clearance for $22 this weekend, which leaves only the Lothlorien set left for me to obtain and a loose Mouth of Sauron...

Anyone seen the Lothlorien set at Retail?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 6, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Yup, it was up here a couple of weeks back, I think I mentioned it in the thread.  Or not. :-\

Anyway, it was here ($39.99) as was Pelennor Fields ($49.99).  Multiply by 0.8 to get the US equivalent.  Taxes on top though (14%) ::)

I really wish we had a Suncoast.  I've always had great luck there when I've been in the US though I don't think there are any now in Grand Forks or Fargo.  Definitely not Fargo :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1113 on: June 6, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Ouch :o

BBTS has them in stock at $25 right now, I suppose I should just bite the bullet and buy it...then I am all caught up and can rest for a while on these

I don't see this line continuing much longer, especially with little retail support

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1114 on: June 8, 2005, 12:00 AM »
Updated Collection Pics

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #1115 on: June 8, 2005, 12:25 AM »
Great collection Scott!

I wish they'd released these as 3 3/4 figures instead of the 6" scale.  Again for size comparison, but also to ramp up the competition for Hasbro and show them what could be done at that scale for a reasonable price.  Some of the larger pieces, such as the Fell Beast, would have been much more manageable too.  I'd go so far as to say I probably would have shot for being a loose completeist on the line had the scale been different :-\

This I could NOT have agreed with more.  The LOTR line's fate is tied to its scale I think.  There is a rich world to delve into with action figures, but the almost double size figures limits the possibilities with the line...

Playsets, army builders, "beasts" and the like, are all better suited to a 3.75" line (or smaller, but I think 3.75"/1:18 offers the best of both worlds with articulation AND fun toys).  I agree that the line's end is really within vision at this point...  And that's a shame because it had potential to be more than it was really.

I just nabbed a couple figs for my brother tonight at TRU...  I can't help but look at what I do have in my own collection though, and wonder how great (and diverse) an Orc army would look in 3.75" scale, or how the Fell woudl be about to-scale if the figures were smaller...  Or how a Balrog wouldn't have been such an outrageous thing to ask for...

Dreams of a Gondorian and Rohirrim army (mounted ROhirrim too!) are just that though...  dreams.[/size]

Great points, guys. I never got into this line because of the size. I'm so used to 3.75" from the SW figures, and it would be cool if they were on the same scale so they could mingle in some kind of Alternate Universe Fantasyland diorama. (Visions of orcs vs. clonetroopers dancing through my head.) ;) One of these days I'll buy something just so I'll have something from the line before it dies.

I have two AOME figures (Orc Drummer and Rohan Horseman) but they're too small on the other extreme ... "sneeze and they'll blow away" type figures. They have some articulation but are too small to really play with. And by now it's too late for me to seriously get into that line anyway, as they've vanished from most stores.

It's possible LOTR will be revisited in action figure form in the future (hey, if it can happen with SW, MOTU, Army of Darkness....) and from there it's theoretically possible that it could be in 3.75" form. Maybe.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2005, 12:35 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1116 on: June 8, 2005, 01:44 AM »
My brother's list of needs is pretty extensive.  He finally went through his stuff and emailed me what he wants me to look for (he's in grad school with little time to look for toys since he lives in BFE for school, plus he's just busy generally)...

My brother's list...  I shudder to think how I'll find half this:

Basic Figures:
Prince Isildur
Bilbo Transfixed
Peter Jackson
Council Legolas
Isengard Orc Captain (with big-ass hammer)
Hama of the Rohirrim
Possessed Theoden
Uruk Hai Pikemen/Engineer (has a torch.think he talks too)
Denethor
Minas Tirith Citadel Guard
Gothmog the Gimpy Orc God
Council Aragorn
Epilogue Frodo (SP, with Journal)
Gondorian Swordsman
Grey Haven Gandalf (from the Epilogue)
Mordor Orc
Flaming Sword Witchking

Giftpacks/Multi-Packs:

Pelennor Fields GiftPack
Coronation Gift Pack
Battle in Shelob's Lair
Lothlorien Giftpack
Defeat Of Sauron (unless that Gil-Galad can be found
elsewhere)
Final Battle for Middle Earth (Or Just The Battle Troll)

This is a ton of stuff...

The line's really been dropped all together in my area.  Suncoast had some stuff, but they seem to be doing more clearing out than getting in...  Wal-Mart usually over-does it on one wave then they have nothing.  Target's been a waste of time to even look for these figures.  Toys R Us fell prey to the constant repacking of Frodo's and Gollums, and the line has been all but dropped from their stores.  KB I won't even go into anymore.

This line's been a bitch to collect...  There's some on my bro's list I'd like for myself too (and some not on his list that I wanted, but of course I give over everything to him).  Since I can't even find what I want out of picking and choosing, part of me thinks of just handing over my whole collection to him except for my SP figures and Wraiths...   :-\

If anyone's got several items from the list, I may be interested in buying... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1117 on: June 8, 2005, 04:21 AM »
Some of those basics are going to be an absolute bitch to locate. I still lack a Bilbo Transfixed and a Peter Jackson.

I don't know if you've done this already, but I'd try posting this on LOTRGuide.com. It's the best board for LOTR fandom, which isn't much anymore.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 8, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Ben, not sure if you can still find that 12" Royal Guard and Emperor set, but I'd happily trade Bilbo transfixed and Peter Jackson for it (and I need your Jabba BK toy if you still have it). 

I picked up Galadriel transfixed today and a flaming ringwraith. 

Lothlorien is still here Scott, but I was correct about the price - $45 and change after the taxes in Canuck bucks. 

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
  • On a computer far...far away....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 23, 2005, 07:01 PM »
I have a question and I HOPE that someone, namely you, can help.  I have approx. 75 characters of LOTR.  It finally occured to me while browsing e bay that I may not have all of the millions of Frodo's.  I looked on Toy Biz's page to try and figure out a correct list.  Is each Frodo listed a totally different Frodo or do they just list the same one's over?  Maybe I wasn't looking closely enough, but I didn't see a difference.  Take series 5 that came out.  I have them all except for a Frodo listed in it.  Is this a new one or the one earlier in the series?  Any help would be great.  Man...my wife is gonna kill me for buying more. :)
Have you ever wondered what a love child between Yoda and a wookie would look like?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 23, 2005, 07:24 PM »
I have a question and I HOPE that someone, namely you, can help.  I have approx. 75 characters of LOTR.  It finally occured to me while browsing e bay that I may not have all of the millions of Frodo's.  I looked on Toy Biz's page to try and figure out a correct list.  Is each Frodo listed a totally different Frodo or do they just list the same one's over?  Maybe I wasn't looking closely enough, but I didn't see a difference.  Take series 5 that came out.  I have them all except for a Frodo listed in it.  Is this a new one or the one earlier in the series?  Any help would be great.  Man...my wife is gonna kill me for buying more. :)

Well, if you're in with a wife that's going to kill you for buying toys, you're in good company here.  Welcome aboard. 

As a Hobbit avoider, I'll defer to someone else to answer the question.   ;)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 23, 2005, 08:32 PM »
You might want to try The Green Dragon for your answer.  They have a pictorial directory of the lines.  That's where I go when I need a good reference picture of something.

Beth

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 24, 2005, 05:12 PM »
Thanks for the help.  The Green Dragon helped.  Now for another question.  The "collectibles" released back with the first movie came out are packaged differently.  I still see some around like that.  Are they worth getting?  I've only been getting, as I'm guessing from the Green Dragon, the newer releases.  I still have a few here and there to get from the newer releases so is there a difference?  See, you get all my questions now because I'm all alone in this area.  One would think it is sad that I'm standing next to kids with their Mom's and I'm asking my wife...can I get it...oh can I can I?  :P
Have you ever wondered what a love child between Yoda and a wookie would look like?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 27, 2005, 02:43 PM »
It's hard to reply to "are they worth gettiing" since I don't know if you plan on opening them and want to know if there is a articuation difference or it you keep 'em in their plastic and just are curious as to the prospective value of "older" cards.

If you open your figures, I really the like the newer releases.  Better scuplt, more articulation, better paint jobs (on most) so if all you want is the best one of each character - IMO, pass on the old stuff and stick with the new.

Beth

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 28, 2005, 07:28 PM »
Take them out?  No no no.  If I do that then they become less than collectible and my wife will realize I have spent money buying toys. :)  I can't have that now can I?  I do have one that is opened.  My dog opened one up for me when I first started.  Now King Aragorn greets my wife all around the house.  Sometimes he rides on various stuffed animals around the house.  Sometimes he protects her from inside her purse.  Sometimes he just sits out and about just to plain annoy her.  Needless to say, it would be horrible if I had 80+ opened and ready to be randomly placed.  ::)