Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 276680 times)

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
  • On a computer far...far away....
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #1170 on: September 12, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Well, I'm about to do the unthinkable.  We are short on money and room so I'm going to try and sell my collection.   :'(  Any suggestions?  I have around 78 figures that have never been opened plus the Coronation, Pelennor Fields, Defeat of Sauron, Shelob's Lair, Fell Beast, Black Gate, Bearers of the One Ring, Sharku Mount, and the Lothlorien sets.  They've been my babies for a couple years, but like all children, its time to sell them for some dearly needed money.  Do you guys/gals have any suggestions?  I just set up an E Bay selling account but I'm new to it so obviously I'm a little dumb.  My goal isn't to make some huge profit.  I just want possibly what I put into it.  So lemme hear it, any suggestions?
Have you ever wondered what a love child between Yoda and a wookie would look like?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1171 on: September 13, 2005, 02:38 AM »
but like all children, its time to sell them for some dearly needed money

Uh, that's scary.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 13, 2005, 08:16 PM »
If that is scary, then I suppose my theory of letting the children in the back yard to hose them off when they are dirty and hanging them on a clothes line until they are done peeing is way off too?
Have you ever wondered what a love child between Yoda and a wookie would look like?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1173 on: September 14, 2005, 01:59 AM »
Wait.

What?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1174 on: September 14, 2005, 02:14 AM »
Disturbing.  You should've stuck with just selling children when you need cash.

It was scary but I think we've all thought about it when the kids have pissed us off. :) 

Wait, don't let the lil lady read that!   :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Aggressive Bill

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: September 14, 2005, 10:00 PM »
You know, you could just save me the pain of spilling all of my children raising theories and just fork over 500 bucks to me.  Heck, I'll even give you a butt load of LOTR figures.  The whole shabang.  What do you say??  Wouldn't that be worth saving children?  Think about it....    ;D

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 21, 2005, 11:25 PM »
New figures have hit TRU. I will pass on the Gandalf, it looks like a Gandalf the White with a big grey cloak thrown over him. No thanks. Frodo is not in the blue like the movie/picture and thus I am not interested. Aragorn is cool. Did not see or get the Gondorian Swordsman so  . . . .  hopefully sometime this week I or a friend will find.

On a side note, the new packaging is really cool.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 22, 2005, 09:29 AM »
I saw a few of that first "Epic Trilogy" wave as well, with the Gandalf Stormcrow, Council Aragorn, and Frodo w/book.  I was tempted to pick them up, Aragorn in particular, but my wife probably would have shot me since I told her "Don't worry, I'm all done with LOTR figures now" about January of this year :P.  They did look nice though.  TRU seems to be the only place around here that carries newer stuff at all, and even theirs is tucked away on 3 lonely pegs at the far back corner of the store.  Wal-Mart has pegs full of Frodos, and Target doesn't carry them here.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 22, 2005, 09:56 PM »
Yeah, I found 10 Gondorian Swordsmen, the Aragorn, the Frodo, the new and the same modified Legolas, the Gandalf Stormcrow etc. I bought 5 of the swordsman for myself and 2 other local collectors, an Aragorn, a Frodo, but passed on the rest. TB is becoming more and more like Hasbro, rehashing figures by modifying paint jobs to make them look different. Thus I only buy something new or something that I like (like Hasbro).
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 22, 2005, 11:24 PM »
No new single figures up here, but multipacks are about:

Shelob's Lair ::)
Sauron's Defeat (or something like that)
Return of Gandalf.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1180 on: September 25, 2005, 04:37 PM »
I have some figures for sale up in the Classifieds section.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1181 on: October 2, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Picked up the Gonodrian and Aragorn yesterday, left Frodo and Gandalf and Legolas

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 2, 2005, 03:40 PM »
I picked up a couple of Gondorians today.  Very cool figure!  Passed on the others for the time being.

Also managed to pick up some older stuff for a pretty decent deal, including the Pellenor Fields set, Council Legolas, burning Ring Wraith and Mount Doom Sam.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 28, 2005, 10:01 AM »
Just read this little bit over at 16bit.com, concerning the future of the Toy Biz LOTR line.  Sounds like what is out now, until the end of 2005, might be all she wrote.  Here's a clip, read the rest at the linky above:

"At work today, our Toy Biz rep let loose a bomb we most certainly were surprised by-- Toy Biz isn't renewing the Lord of the Rings license for 2006. What's out now is basically it, a few SKUs are going to ship through the end of the year and that'll be that."

Sounds like the status of the other lines (Armies of Middle Earth, Minimates, etc.) is unknown at this time, although it sounds like more minimates should be on the way.  I guess I figured this line would be slowly fading away, but I'm kind of surprised if it is indeed done by the end of this year.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 28, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Well when all you can come up with is Frodo with Book, it just might be time to pull the pin. 

I think the big difference with this line and Star Wars is that you see here what happens when you don't have a truly hardcore collecting, um, core.  It is and was a fantastic trilogy - some brilliant movies that were extremely well done.  Like Star Wars it has a core group of characters you can do.  Unlike Star Wars you have a hard time telling a Legolas from a Legolas, whereas you can tell farm boy Luke from Death Star Luke.  Does it matter?  Apparently yes. 

The kids ate up this line, as did a number of collectors.  But if you've been watching lately, there's little if anything that has held any value.  Everything, like all toys today, are tremendously mass produced and nothing is rare.  You have collectors/speculators that keep stuff MOMC meaning finding something is easy, even after it's away from retail.  You have no history with this trilogy, aside from the books.  But that all important market - the kids - moved on, as kids do.  Oops.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.