Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 276757 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Lord of the Rings Figures...Prologue Bilbo at KB.com!!!
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2003, 10:54 PM »
Meh. That Gandalf is saddeningly inferior to the one packed with Shadowfax. But this version does hold Glamdring better than previous ones, so that's something. And at least it's white this time. Ah screw it, it's not inferior, I just think the head looks funny.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2003, 11:37 PM »
I actually thought Gandalf was okay.  Not $10 okay, but better than I expected.  

Don't know if anyone else has already mentioned this, but www.bigbadtoystore.com has the TTT red card Smeagol in stock for $9.99, in case anyone cares.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 01:06 AM by Spuffy »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2003, 02:24 AM »
KB was the place to be today!  I got the crossbow Uruk and Gandalf, a blue Eowyn for a friend, saw a prologue Bilbo, and scored Legolas with horse and Aragorn (with a properly painted beard) and Brego.  Nice score in my book!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2003, 02:37 PM »
Good score indeed, Nicklab.   ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2003, 04:53 PM »
Has anyone who's seen the ROTK Aragorn with Brego noticed that a lot of them have bad paint jobs?

Feedback

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2003, 05:04 PM »
Haven't seen the new Aragorn/Brego set yet.
I searched through every Pelennor Aragorn at TRU to find the best one. I also found an armored Eowyn with the hair not glued on correctly. I'd hate to be the guy who buys that one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2003, 05:05 PM by Brain of HMI »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2003, 10:08 AM »
I just saw (courtesy of thegd.com), that the ROTK series 2 figures are in stock at KBToys.com....SP Aragorn, SP Gollum, Gandalf, and Eowyn in Armor.  I'm not sure if they are all still there, but they were earlier.  If I hadn't had preorders and other things ship this month already on our credit card, I think I'd take advantage.  Just thought I'd give the heads up for anyone that needs these figures, or hadn't heard they were over there.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2003, 01:26 PM »
Now this is complete bull****

In The News: Final Word on the Deluxe BALROG!
Well...NOTHING is ever FINAL anymore, but lets just say we can probably put this thing to rest. We obtained some new details on the reasoning behind the demise of our beloved breather of fire. We post this for your consumption and digestion. So everyone knows what it takes in this industry to make a figure like this a success. Without further ado, here are some little known facts about our Balrog:

1) Original Price Point: $25-$30 (including electronics and lights)
2) The original prototype (seen HERE) was remolded, after its first failed attempt to make it to retail, into a scaled down Rotomolded version (reduced price with no features) and retailers said no a second time
3) In order to offer the Balrog as an exclusive, over 30,000 of this bugger would have to be ordered to make it feasible for Toybiz to produce.
 4) No one is a bigger fan and proponent of getting this figure made than Toybiz (Jesse and Damon)...they pushed as hard as they could...but without one certain discount retailer...

Note: Toybiz tried...they tried hard to get the Balrog released...but because a certain southern based discount retailer (and the #1 toy retailer in the world mind you) did not buy into it...we have no Balrog. Does everyone know that this retailer no longer carries Spawn? And guess what our friendly baddy from the depths of Moria resembles? Yep...you guessed it...Spawn!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The toy buyer at Wal Mart seriously needs to be canned...I can see them passing on Clone Wars but for them to say no to the Balrog is asinine.

THink there is a reason people are hailing Target for their toy shopping recently...Wal Mart like K-Mart sucks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2003, 03:08 PM »
Can you link to the article?  It looks like there was a link in there to a prototype pic.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2003, 04:02 PM »
Thanks!  Is it me, or does that site take forever and a day to load?

Feedback

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2003, 05:02 PM »
Well on today's run I picked up the following:

FOTR Ring Wraith
ROTK Frodo in Armor
ROTK Sam in Armor
Helms Deep 5-Pack

and...

CROSSBOW URUK!!  

I found the Uruk laying on the floor at KB, and i didnt think anything of it, until I looked down and actually saw what it was.  I didn't mind spending the extra few $$ on it since its not easy to come by...

I also saw ROTK Pellenor Aragorn, Poseable Gollum, Gandalf, Treebeard, & Eomer, but left them.  Still trying to find Prologue Bilbo...blah.  I also did the unthinkable and opened my twilight Frodo...

Fun day....

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2003, 05:23 PM »
I don't think there's anything to stop TB from pushing the Balrog as an exclusive somewhere else besides Wal Mart.  It's obvious both KB and TRU appreciate the line.  A rotocast Balrog (what, $10?) would blow out of stores.   The only alternative would be to shrink it and include it as part of the figure assortment ala Treebeard, but if Wal mart is really against this figure no matter what, then that's probably out, too.  Come to think of it, WM probably killed that Orc Warrior from Toy Fair, too.  

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2003, 01:36 AM »
I can't honestly believe Wal-Mart could have killed this if it was offered exclusively to TRU. I mean, they've stocked the 12" Tauntauns and the Dewback, they wouldn't have blinked at a smaller $25-30 exclusive. If it was rotocast, it'd have been cheaper.

I guess, when it was offered, LOTR wasn't near as big as it is now.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2003, 02:50 PM »
Yeah, I don't think the films (and toys) really went into overdrive until TTT.  And absolutely, I have no idea why TRU wouldn't take this on as an exclusive.  This is right up their alley.