Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 279976 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #600 on: February 26, 2004, 09:44 PM »
Went to TRU today to check the Ringbearer set and found the elusive Gandalf the Grey new head sculpt!  And Traveling Bilbo, too!   ;D

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #601 on: February 29, 2004, 07:10 PM »
The GD is reporting that KBs are receiving more TTT red-boxed swag, including Faramir and the Easterling. Fat lot of good it does for us without KBs in out area anymore. ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline thegd87

• Youngling
  • ????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 1, 2004, 02:30 PM »
yes, they are indeed!! :o

I have been seeing reports also, of Faramir, Easterling, Elven Cloaked Frodos, yea alot!

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 1, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Good stuff...not too hip on the repacks but I don't see them sitting too long either.  Went to TRU in Fargo and they were full of Gollum/Smeagol in Blue Packaging...those they need to clearance!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 1, 2004, 04:14 PM »
I've just been trying to keep up with what is coming out in the future, and what was shown at Toy Fair (via TheGD and LOTRGuide).  There is still a part of me who would like to get a few more of the main characters, not a huge collection, but just a handful.  With what you collectors know that is upcoming, or what you have seen, who would be the best ones to pick up and/or wait to come out?  I kind of like when they do super-poseable versions (as long as they have great likenesses), and was leaning towards those.  Here are the characters I'd like to pick up:

Strider/Aragorn - Just about got the Pellenor Aragorn, but wasn't sure if I liked the "screaming" face.  Any better ones available in your opinion?

Gandalf - I have been leaning towards the Gandalf the White version.

Legolas - I have the Rohan Armor version, any ones that are better?

Gimli - From the pics, the ceremony version looks kind of good I thought (and is super-poseable?)

Frodo - not sure, I thought I saw that a super-poseable one was coming up?

Sam - no idea, I hear the boat one is good.

Merry and Pippen - I was thinking the "armor" versions from ROTK, any thoughts?

If any of you have any advice for me, I really appreciate it.  I'm not nearly as up on this line as Star Wars, so I always look to the experts with any questions.  My wife isn't crazy about my collecting budget the way it is (spent over $100 on SW stuff this year already, which is high for us), but if I can pick one up here or there...I'd like to have in mind who I'm looking for.  Thanks for any info everyone.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #605 on: March 1, 2004, 09:24 PM »
Ok, mosnab, here's my thoughts.   :)

Boromir/Aragorn/Gandalf the Grey: I'd wait and see about the SP ones.  The Boromir is fantastic.

Frodo/Sam: Wait for the SP ones.  The Orc disguise versions are also some of the best.

Merry/Pippin: The armored versions are the way to go.

Gimli: The coronation version is sweet, but the Gimli shipping now in the Trilogy line is the most basic version, and very good.

Legolas: The Rohan Armor is the best; a close second is the ROTK one shipping now sans armor.

Gandalf the White: The Trilogy version is good, as is the ROTK one if you can find it; for this and perhaps also Pellenor Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, there's the Gates of Mordor set shipping later this year w/ the Mouth of Sauron that may be up your alley.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 2, 2004, 03:44 PM »
Spuffy, thanks so much for the advice.  I've always liked the line, and wanted to have a few of the characters, but I have held off because of budget reasons.  But, every time I watch one of the movies again, for some reason it just makes me want to have some of the figures again.  I really like your choices as well, although I haven't looked around the stores lately to see what is actually out and about.  I know there are some SP versions of many of the characters coming in the future (Strider/Aragorn, Boromir, Frodo)...but I wasn't sure when everything is being released.  I'll keep an eye out for things though.  One of the characters I really wasn't sure on was Aragorn, because it seems like many of the figures haven't had the best likeness in the world.  Anyways, thanks again for giving me some advice, I greatly appreciate it.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 2, 2004, 09:54 PM »
Today, The Green Dragon had some pretty Interesting pictures, of a custom Coronation Arwen, that a fellow member of The Green Dragon did. It was very interesting, after actually looking at it, it looked just like the real Coronation Arwen which is going to be released this Fall.  It had the Galadriel body with the big hands, and the Trilogy Arwen head.  You can take a look at it here : http://www.thegd.com/Toys/Custom/custom_eb.asp it is very interesting.  This guy did a great job of customizing this amazing Lord of the Rings figure. I give him 2 thumbs up!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #608 on: March 4, 2004, 07:34 PM »
Found TW Frodo at K-Mart!   ;D  $7,99!   :(

Not as exciting seeing how there's a dozen of him in the Ringbearers set at TRU, but still kind of cool nonetheless.

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #609 on: March 4, 2004, 09:04 PM »
Went to TRU today and bought:

-Treebeard (Big one)
-There & Back Again set

Saw an elf archer with uruk, but passed on it, and now kicking myself that I did. THEN I went to KB where I hit the motherload,

The girl just put out a boatload of Trilogy figures and I racked up:

-Arwen
-Gladrial
-Eowyn
-Gandalf the grey
-Saruman
-Elrond
-FOTR Legolas
-Prologue Elf Warrior
-Twilight Witchking
and
-ROTK Crawling Gollum
-ROTK Eomer

What a great day!!  I only saw the mordor set at TRU, I was hoping to find the twilight one, but no such luck...If I feel good after work sat. I am gonna take another ride up to KB and see if they put anything more out...

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 5, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Went to TRU today and bought:

-Treebeard (Big one)
-There & Back Again set

Saw an elf archer with uruk, but passed on it, and now kicking myself that I did. THEN I went to KB where I hit the motherload,

The girl just put out a boatload of Trilogy figures and I racked up:

-Arwen
-Gladrial
-Eowyn
-Gandalf the grey
-Saruman
-Elrond
-FOTR Legolas
-Prologue Elf Warrior
-Twilight Witchking
and
-ROTK Crawling Gollum
-ROTK Eomer

What a great day!!  I only saw the mordor set at TRU, I was hoping to find the twilight one, but no such luck...If I feel good after work sat. I am gonna take another ride up to KB and see if they put anything more out...

Did you happen to get 2 Galadriels and Elrond?

Offline SiteC

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SiteC's Figure Collection Page
« Reply #611 on: March 5, 2004, 12:54 PM »
Nope, one of each was all they had.  The girl must have had 2 cases of the FOTR set on the pegs and in those two there was only one Gladrial and one Elrond...

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 5, 2004, 01:51 PM »
OH! Okay that is cool.  If you do come across a Galadriel and Elrond, would you mind picking them up for me?

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 5, 2004, 05:00 PM »
I really like that new Gandalf the Gray...its cool they are rereleasing these and fixing some mistakes from the past
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 5, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Yeah, Gandalf is pretty good looking.  You are talking about the Trilogy - Gandalf right?

My favorite Trilogy would have to be - Galadriel she is so beautiful and still very hard to find!