Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 281599 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #735 on: June 3, 2004, 09:57 PM »
You are just looking for top of the line for the lousy exchange rate you have to endure after spending months upon months driving through blizzards

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #736 on: June 4, 2004, 02:35 AM »
You rock Beth...

Thanks.  You'd make my brother happy.  He's got things rough because he's in grad school to be a Dr. of psychology, and he's married and all...  He doesn't get to the stores much so my mom and me keep up with the line as good as we can for him...  

I get a figure here and there but always turn things to him first.  I got the Witchking which rocked...  Loved that figure, and nw I wish I'd gotten a KotD at the same time but I passed cuz I was short on $ and this is a line I just browse through.

Then Cole's figure broke upon opening...  Blah.

I'll let you know via PM if I can't find one in the next two weeks.  I appreciate the help!

PS: I knwo what you guys mean about the articulation loosening.  It's an area Hasbro does pretty great on and other companies flub sometimes.  Then again Hasbro doesn't do much articulation to begin with. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 8, 2004, 10:00 AM »
Just read over at LOTRGuide.com that it appears the Black Gate of Mordor Gift Pack (Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Aragorn, Mouth of Sauron w/Horse) has started showing up on ebay (presale I believe).  Here's a few of the auctions:

Ebay Auctions

Hopefully that link works.  This could be an interesting set, any of you interested in it?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 8, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Link works and I intend to pick this up.  Why anyone would order it off ebay when Amazon.com has it up for presale as well, for less money, is beyond me.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 8, 2004, 11:14 AM »
I don't understand that either Brent, and the pre-sale price is plenty high on this auction too.  This line is still so tempting, I came across several KOTDs, Pip and Merry in armor this weekend, and really wanted to pick them up.  If I hadn't just gotten a few new Star Wars figures, I might have had better luck talking the Mrs. into it :).  I thought I read that you picked up KOTD and the Morgul Lord recently Brent, what do you think of them?  I was thinking about sticking to just a few main characters if I got into this line, but a few others like these are tempting too.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 8, 2004, 12:47 PM »
I like them, quite a bit actually.  I can see this spiralling out of control pretty easily if I'm not careful.  The KotD is neat, but this is just the second one I picked up, either as trade bait, to help someone out or to sell down the road on ebay.  It was there, so I grabbed it.  

The Morgul Lord is part of a larger plan that should end up with me having 7 wraiths of some sort.  I would like one on horse, though the Mouth of Sauron pack should accomplish that rather nicely.  I have a $25 GC for Amazon, so I may order it there and use that up.  It is a very nice figure and necessary to have in the collection, IMO.  Not too concered about the other wraiths in terms of makeup, whatever I can find relatively cheap.  

The mouth of Sauron set will also fill my gaps for Aragorn, Legolas and give me the white Gandalf.  I had a trilogy white Gandalf, but once I decided to get these figures, I passed that off to my collecting buddy here in the office.  He's more of a LOTR fan than SW, as much because of the better distribution of the toys as anything else.  We get most, if not all of the figures here, they cost the same (or less, depending on retailer) as SW figures and are bluntly, better value for the money.  The only drawback to the set is another Gimli, so my offer of a free one still stands, I'll have two at some point.  

There and Back Again will get me my Hobbitses.  Not necessarily my favorite versions, but easily the most inexpensive route.  I'll either pick it up cheap on ebay or wait until the local retailer marks them down sufficiently.  Shouldn't they cost half as much as regular figures?  

I'll then need a Sauron, Saruman, Gollum, Boromir and Elrond to fill out what I think I want in this line.  Any Gollum/Smeagol will do for me, so waiting until the massive backload of these figures gets clearanced, there's so many around.  Sauron I'll watch and see if I can get cheap.  Likely not, so off to TRU is the most probable solution.  Saruman and Boromir can come from the trilogy line.  Elrond I can wait for the new robed version.  It does look better and makes more sense, in my mind, anyway.  Sword slashing Elrond?  

I have Galadriel, Arwen and Eowyn on the trilogy cards already.  My original intent (and now perhaps my justification) is that I think my daughter will enjoy these movies tremendously when she is older.  I picked up those figures for her, but thought perhaps she needed some boys to play with as well (take that in the manner intended please).  I suspect (hope) the wraiths will remain mine with the old wizard.  But she will undoubtedly take over the Aragorn and Legolas figures to be sure.  

Orc's etc. do not interest me.  Key characters to be sure, but minor in most aspects.  Too many to chase, too little interest on my part.  The same goes for relatively minor characters such as Faramir, Grima, etc.  I say minor with a grain of salt of course, but I do want to limit the line in some way.  

I may trundle over to RS to see if I can hawk some of my Star Wars stuff to get some LOTR stuff in return.  It may work.  I'd do it here, but don't foresee much interest.  

In other news, I received my Sauron mini-mates today.  Nice pieces, but I have little intent with this line.  If someone here needs one, LMK, I have extras.  The lack of intent has everything to do with the poor distribution of mini-mates up north.  I'm sure they'll be cool, but I've managed to stay away from everything except Mr. Spock for me and McCoy for the Mrs.  

Speaking of the Mrs. and totally off on another tangent, she pilfered a Chewbacca today for her office.  The path to the dark side is slow, but inexorable. ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 8, 2004, 01:30 PM »
I've been trying to piece together what I'd like to pick up from this line as well....and one you mentioned, the There and Back Again set....what is everyone's opinions on the figures within this set (if you have it)?  I'd like to get the hobbits, and if these versions are fairly decent, this might be an easy (and cheaper) way to get them all at once.  I had been leaning towards the armored Pip and Merry otherwise, and waiting to see the upcoming "superposable Frodo" and a Sam coming in the Trilogy line.  I don't have the cash or space to get into this line too deep (if at all...hopefully though), and I am just hoping to get a few of the main characters.  Anyways...just wondering what everyone thought of the There and Back Again set, I see it is $19.99 on Amazon right now.

I'm hoping to get many along the same lines as you Brent.  I have Legolas and Smeagol, and others I would like to pick up would be Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli, and the hobbitses.  But then, part of me also wants to get a Sauron (everyone highly recommends it), possibly a Treebeard, a couple of wraiths, and my wife is a big fan of Eowyn, so I have thought about picking one of those up for her.  Anyways, it is always interesting reading everyone's comments/opinions on the line, I really enjoy it...and use it as advice too :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 8, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I think most would agree that the There and Back Again set is not representative of the best figures in the line.  

I know that I am much more inclined to the armored versions of ye hobbitses.  The Sam and Frodo in Orc Armor tickle my fancy the most.  Similarly Merry and Pippin in armor look better to me.  In part because of the armor and in part because I think later sculpts are better than the early ones.  That said, I'm not overly inclined to get the Hobbits at all, but the set would look pretty foolish without them, given they are marginally integral to the whole storyline ;)  Therefore I decided cost is the best determinant.  

The only place carrying the figures currently and consistently is TRU and they charge $9.99 a figure for these.  I can pick up the TABA set for $34.99 at another retailer and I expect they'll clear it out this summer, likely for half that.  5 figures for $20 after taxes works for me.  

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 10, 2004, 10:40 AM »
Thanks for the advice Brent.  I guess a lot of the reason I was looking at the TABA set was the value aspect too.  From w hat I have read around the web, it seems like most people prefer the armored versions of the hobbits (particularly Merry/Pip) to the ones included in that set too.  I'd kind of just like to get a nice, maybe even best, representative version of each of the hobbitses, as well as some other characters.  Is everyone here pretty much in agreement that the armored Pippin and Merry are the best ones of those characters?  I know both are available around town here, and they might be my next purchases in this line if possible.  I wanted to make sure to get the most representative versions of each, should I go back and try to pick up the TT two pack of them instead?  Just curious what everyone's opinions were.  I'm thinking about holding out for the upcoming versions of Frodo and Sam, hopefully they are good ones.  It seems like Toy Biz (and most companies) usually have a history of getting better as they go along, so hopefully they will be the best versions when they come out.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 11:03 AM by mosnab »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #744 on: June 10, 2004, 06:18 PM »
The early versions of Merry and Pippin aren't that great.

Besides, their shining moments in the films were when they were in their armor, so I'd tend to think those would be best.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 10, 2004, 11:18 PM »
All this talk had me looking at them today again.  The armored versions sure do look better, but twice the cost good enough?  IT would also result in me having a hard time finding a Bilbo, if I decide I need one.  I think I could live without him, but not sure.  

The goblin armor Frodo and Sam are my favorite versions.  

Hmmm :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 11, 2004, 08:38 AM »
I know what you mean Brent, I was looking them over yesterday again too.  We made a Wal-Mart run (and also stopped at TRU, since it is right next door)...no new Star Wars, so I took a close look at the Lord of the Rings sections.  I was very close to picking up KOTD, Armored Merry, and the Morgul Lord WK, but my wife is holding strong that we don't need anymore of these invading the house.   I'm still working on it.  :)  I did see the TABA set (several) at TRU for $30 too, they had a lot of other multi-packs there (Heroes, Ring-bearers, Ringwraiths, Mount Doom).  On that note, what do people think of the Frodo/Sam included in the Mordor set?  Would those be good versions to pick up, or wait for the upcoming ones?

On another LOTR note, I see that Action-Figure.com has several pictures up of the Mouth of Sauron set, you can check them out here:

MOS/Black Gate Gift Pack
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:03 AM by mosnab »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 11, 2004, 08:41 AM »
Also, The Fell Beast is showing up too (in Hong Kong).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #748 on: June 14, 2004, 02:07 AM »
Hey Beth,

Thanks again for offering your extra KotD figure to me for my brother, but a stroke of good luck tonight on a chance run to a Target yielded me a new KotD for him and one for myself as well.

Good stuff.

We're gonna take his broken one back to TRU whence it came now...  And he doesn't know it yet, but I opened his KotD for him already and loosened his hand up already.  He'll survive!

Thanks Beth for that offer, it was really appreciated!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 14, 2004, 08:45 AM »
Well, I picked up LOTR figure #3 for myself this past weekend, a Trilogy Gandalf the White.  I'm slowly working on the Mrs. and sneaking one in a shopping trip here and there.  Target had quite a few Trilogy figures hanging on the pegs, and I figured Gandalf is one that doesn't show up quite as often (at least around here), so I'd go that route for now.  Really like these figures, hope to get a few more ;)