Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 277806 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #795 on: August 3, 2004, 01:59 PM »
I have the NECA Aragorn and Legolas and they are very impressive.  I can't wait to get my hands on the Balrog.  I might have to preorder this one as I don't know if it will sell out quick at Spencer Gifts or not.

As for TRU, I have never found those elusive minmates and the website has yet to offer them.  Luckily (from what I read) Walmart will have the two packs soon so I should be ok.  I just don't understand TRU though...it's a TOY store..so carry the toys already!!! ::)
Beth

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 3, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Regarding TRU, they're having a hard time competing.  With who?  WalMart and Target.  Those big box stores order a lot, and they've managed to get their stock turnover down pat.  WalMart just happens to be the highest volume toy retailer in the US.  TRU may be in for a fight to hang onto their market share.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 4, 2004, 10:26 AM »
Just stopped in at TRU yesterday to check for anything new, and it appears the LOTR section at our TRU here has been narrowed down as well.  The pegs that were used for Trilogy figures are now gone (and replaced with some other stuff), and there are just pegs packed full of old packaging Gollums now (for $8 still).  Maybe this news is true, but it is surprising.  It seems like this line still sells well, and has some life in it (at least until the DVD EE release)...and it seems like Toy Biz has plans for this further into the future with what was shown.

Like many of you said, it is strange (and sad) that Toys R Us, can't even dominate the market in....toys.  Their prices are more often than not higher (sometimes much) than anywhere else on all the toy lines I check out (Star Wars, Spidey/Marvel, and LOTR), they never seem to clearance figures out (still $8 Gollums? come on), and now it appears that some areas are becoming more limited in selection.  Its a shame really that they can't do better.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 4, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Also, I wanted to ask some of your opinions on a figure as well.  Of the four or so figures I hope to pick up, one of them is Samwise Gamgee.  Although I have read rumors of another one coming up in the future, it must be aways off, because I haven't seen anything online or at the recent fairs.  Of the ones that have come out, which would you recommend picking up?  The other figures I hope to get (Aragorn, Frodo, Merry), I'm waiting for the upcoming "super poseable" versions (with the exception of Merry, I hope to get the armored version), so I'm waiting on those right now.  If you had to pick one Sam, which would be the best one to get?  I know many people like the orc armor version, but I'm looking for a little less "scene specific" one.  Thanks for any advice you might have.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 4, 2004, 11:38 AM »
It's worse up here.  TRU was about the only store that actually made an effort to get product to coincide with the DVD release.  IT sold very, very quickly and well, with the exception of multitudinous Gollum and Aragorn/Strider figures.  There are a few other figures sitting, but they seem reluctant as well to get in new stock and our TRUs have never met a clearance sale they could tolerate.  They only recently cleared out the Simpsons Series 1 Bart figures ::)

A few pieces I need, but I'm really enjoying not being a completeist here.  Hoping the retailers will pick stuff up for the extended version release and then onto the Christmas season.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 4, 2004, 01:20 PM »
Also, I wanted to ask some of your opinions on a figure as well.  Of the four or so figures I hope to pick up, one of them is Samwise Gamgee.  Although I have read rumors of another one coming up in the future, it must be aways off, because I haven't seen anything online or at the recent fairs.  Of the ones that have come out, which would you recommend picking up?  The other figures I hope to get (Aragorn, Frodo, Merry), I'm waiting for the upcoming "super poseable" versions (with the exception of Merry, I hope to get the armored version), so I'm waiting on those right now.  If you had to pick one Sam, which would be the best one to get?  I know many people like the orc armor version, but I'm looking for a little less "scene specific" one.  Thanks for any advice you might have.

I have all of them and if you don't want the Orc version, then it really narrows it down to the Sam w/rock.  It's the same Sam face and body as the 2-pack of Frodo/Sam in the boat but a green cloak and sword along with the rock.  I have it attached to my shelf with Sam hanging from it with one hand(and he does stay there quite well) and his sword is in his other hand.  There is the Sam in the "There and Back" again set but I like this Sam better.

Of course, there is FOTR Sam with the Orc door and he does come with his pan but the cape is blue and it's "waving" .  The head sculpt is totally different from the 'rock' Sam and has lighter hair (which is closer to Sam's) and he has a slightly longer face.  It's a good choice if you can't find the other one.

As for any new Sam's coming out, there is the often rumored "twilight Sam" (which of course was never in the movie, only the book) and then the final farewell Sam.   Haven't heard of any solid information on these so I'd say no new Sam's for 2004.

Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #801 on: August 4, 2004, 01:50 PM »
I thought there was a Mount Doom Sam rumored too

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 4, 2004, 03:56 PM »
Yes, there is that one rumored also and in all honesty, I think that is the one that will make it to production if the line stays strong.  It has a lot more potential than the other two and could easily be part of a two or three pack.
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #803 on: August 4, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Was anything revealed at Comic Con besides those two or three figs they showed, anyone talk to Toy Biz etc???

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 6, 2004, 09:20 AM »
For those who are interested...TheGreenDragon is reporting that the Coronation boxset is on "presale" at KBToys.com for the special low price of $21.99.  The GD.com

KB Toys Linky

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #805 on: August 7, 2004, 03:03 PM »
Saw the Fell Beast at TRU today, nice set, too big though :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #806 on: August 7, 2004, 05:40 PM »
Not that I collect this line, but I usually give it a looksee when I'm at retail, and I meant to mention that I've been seeing that same Fell beast, along with the Black Gate of Mordor and the Coronation 5-packs at a couple of my local TRUs this past week.  Hadn't seen them before...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 7, 2004, 07:04 PM »
I saw Shelob today at a Comic Shop.  They wanted $20 for her, so I passed.  It looks great, though!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 9, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Saw several of the Black Gate set this weekend at Wal-Mart.  They were actually on the very top shelf of the aisle, in an odd, "outside/pool" toys area.  Probably wouldn't have even seen them if we wouldn't have walked through that area to go buy bath products.  The MOS figure looked pretty cool, but I don't think I could plunk down the money just for that figure.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #809 on: August 9, 2004, 09:31 AM »
I hear you Brian, I'm passing on that set, thinking about the Coronation set and still need to pick up There and Back Again

Anyone spotted the Shelob Wave at Mass Market retail yet?  I haven't really seen any reports