Author Topic: Attacktix  (Read 22854 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Attacktix
« on: December 7, 2004, 04:48 PM »
So, one of the biggest mysteries about the upcoming Return of the Sith swag is the mysterious new Hasbro collectible called Attacktix. We've received some word on what's in store!

Attacktix is a new game created by Hasbro through Wizard of the Coast. Think of this as a merging of the Star Wars Minis and Heroclix with some cool play features to go along for the ride.

The Return of the Sith game will debut next spring and will feature 3" figures. These will not be the same scale as 3-3/4" figures. Like the Miniatures, expect to see Common/Rare/Very-Rare assortment ratios and shipped in Multi-Packs with closed cartons.

The Attacktix figures will have small bases with statistics (like Heroclix) and come with large super deformed spring-loaded weapons. The goal will be to knock over the opposing figures or through close proximity attacks. There is no real board or map, just taking turns doing battle

If all goes well, look for Original Trilogy figures later in the year and keep checking JediDefender for continuing Attacktix coverage
 :)
« Last Edit: December 7, 2004, 04:49 PM by Scott »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Attacktix
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2004, 06:28 PM »
I'll have to wait 'til I see them in person to decide what I'm gonna do.  Most of us aren't fans of "action features" really, so the firing blasters and slashing lightsabers on these figures may be somewhat of a turn off.  Not to mention that most of us probably won't want to actually "play the game" with these things either, beyond just a few random targeting practice sessions.

So these will live or die based likely on their "collectibility" with the more adult crowd, I'd imagine.  If they're nicely detailed, have a good range of characters, are affordable, and aren't too much of a headache to collect (exclusives, pack-ins, etc), then I think they'll do OK.  But if WOTC mostly tries to market them as a game for the younger kids, then they might be in trouble...

I probably won't buy the ROTS ones, but if an OT series comes out later on, I'll definitely be interested.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2004, 09:41 PM »
I was wondering if and when there would be a HeroClix-like set of figures developed.  I've never played any of the games, so I don't see me doing it now.  Like you said Matt, I think the collectibility will determine MY interest in picking these up.  That being said, I haven't "collected" the Rebel Storm line either, but rhave epeatedly become interested, simply because of how people have (for the most part) raved about their impressive detailing.  That's what would interest me - nice display pieces.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2004, 09:53 PM »
Since these are also made by WotC I would guess the level of detail will be the same.  They are a bit bigger in scale but smaller than Hasbro figures.

The new feature that sets it apart from Clix is the added projectile weapons

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2004, 10:25 PM »
The new feature that sets it apart from Clix is the added projectile weapons

These weapons certainly have me curious.  They could either add a neat finishing touch to the figures, or simply overwhelm them and look ridiculous.  Hmmm...  Can't wait to see.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2005, 04:55 PM »
General Grievous
General Grevious Bodyguard
Nute Gunray
Neimodian Solider
Chewbacca
Tarfful
Wookiee Soldier
Count Dooku/Tyranus
Chancellor Palpatine
Emperor Palpatine
Anakin Skywalker
Darth Vader (Mustafar Duel)
Darth Vader
Bail Organa
Padme Skywalker
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi Wan Kenobi (Mustafar Duel)
Mace Windu
Shaak Ti
Ki Adi Mundi
Agen Kolar
Yoda
V-Wing Pilot
Clone Commaner Cody
Clone Commander Greers (Kashyyk)
Clone Trooper (Republic)
Clone Trooper (Separatist)
Battle Droid
Super Battle Droid

Darth Vader (Mustafar Duel) has some significance, I would guess, to speculators out there. Could this mean Anakin takes the name Darth Vader before he dons the armor? Also note the Clone Troopers have been divided in to Republic and Separatist factions.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Still need to see some pix of these before I decide if I'm gonna commit to yet another line.  I might pass on the ROTS ones, but the OT ones that follow will be tough to forego, probably...

Nice list there.   ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Still need to see some pix of these before I decide if I'm gonna commit to yet another line. 

Well, I was thinking along the same lines, wait until I see them to decide if I want them or not.

Now that I've seen them (pictures of a Wookiee, Vader, Chewie, Shaak Ti, General, and Obi-Wan are in the newest Insider #80), I'm not that impressed. 

They kind of look like larger versions of the HeroClix figurines, with giant over-sized feet/hands (kind like the Jedi Force figures), limited articulation, and big-ass weapons/action features.  Jedi have some sort of launching force deal and Grevious has a HUGE honkin'  missile launcher.   ::)

Once you add in the fact that it sounds like they will be packed like regular gaming peices (with Rares and Very Rares), this line just doesn't do much for me.  They won't blend in with the figures I have now and I don't really want to play the game, so I guess it's a total turn-off for me.

So, I'll happily pass on these.   :)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I was waiting to see what they would look like as well Jeff, and after receiving Insider this past Monday, I think I'm going to take a pass as well.  They are a "different" type of collectible, but there are other lines that I enjoy better.  The "deformed-ness" of them is a little different too, because many figures have just one gigantic hand or weapon, not symmetrical or anything (like the Chewie picture for example).  I'm guessing these are fairly small?  I don't really know much about lines like this but I always thought they were more on the wee side.  I might try to pick up a Chewbacca if possible, but otherwise I have enough other Star Wars stuff to spend my money on this year I think.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Oh, and if any non-subscribers would like to see what they look like, it looks like Rebelscum has posted the magazine pic HERE.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Oh, and if any non-subscribers would like to see what they look like, it looks like Rebelscum has posted the magazine pic HERE.

Thanks Brian, I am a subscriber, but as a Canadian, I have to wait a little longer to see the Insider ;)

I think I can basically go with what Jeff said.  Add to that watching the frustration over WOTC stuff and the fact I already spend waaaaaaaay too much money and these are unlikely to show in Canada, I'll be giving them the pass too. 

The Vader pictured looks interesting, so if anyone gets into these and is looking to unload him, I'd take it off their hands.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 06:40 PM »
Those are easily in the top ten of most bizarre licensed Star Wars items...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Hmmmm, I was fairly interested in these upon first hearing about them. But now that I've seen some of them, uhhh, not so much. I'll probably be passing on these just because of all the other things I'd rather spend the money on.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Wouldn't these be competing in the same market as Wizards' minis? 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Wizards is making both of them