Author Topic: NHL 2005-06  (Read 86647 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2005-2006 Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 9, 2005, 12:50 AM »
Funny how, when thinking of fantasy Hockey, the question even needs asking about the variable of rule enforcement.  That should be such a non-issue, but yet it's still there lingering...  I think NHL Ref's uniforms should be mandatory pocketless ones.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 01:56 AM »
Pens were looking at Burke too and he declined the offer and went to Tampa I guess...  Never heard much about Cujo around here at all.  Never made much in the local news so I'm guessing that wasn't a real substantial rumor.

I dunno why they're after a mentor for Fleury now really, but whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2005, 12:23 AM »
Pens get Thibault.

Samsonov stays in Boston.

Havlat and Fisher stay in Ottawa - looking decent.

Esche (sp?) signs in Philly.

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2005, 12:49 AM »
The Cujo rumor was mentioned for the first time in today's paper, but didn't get much play... 

Thibault?  Hmmm...  Well if they're just looking for a mentor and not a starter.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Leafs sign the walking concussion Lindros

Man, he never lived up to his potential.  Pissed me off he couldn't bring the Cup to Philly.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Leafs sign the walking concussion Lindros

Man, he never lived up to his potential.  Pissed me off he couldn't bring the Cup to Philly.

:D

I hate the Leafs and can't think of them doing anything better.  What a buncha maroons.  More ego than talent and then that family history of soft heads.  Oops.  For whatever reason the Leafs have been wanting him for years.  Now they have him and he can retire out of there.  I'm sure that makes him happy and that's good, he's had a tough career (largely of his own making).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Bruins sign Thornton.   8)

Can you believe it, the Bruins are actually spending money and signing players?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Sure, maybe the NHL isn't on TV, but hey - the merchandising juggernaut is back in full swing!

Hey, Jason - have you picked up one of these yet?   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2005, 10:56 PM »
Actually Jeff I have been eyeballing that.   ;D  My buddy has my chips since he's been playing like crazy the last few months w/ his office buddies.  I saw this on the Wings site but it says it's a pre-order scheduled for delivery in 12-15 weeks.  It says it's an Upper Deck product.  I'm totally buying it.  Just curious when it's actually due for release. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2005, 01:10 AM »
1 year, $1.55 mill...  Not the greatest deal for Lindros...  Not what I actually would've expected him to settle for anyway.  I wonder if he will retire then though, what with it being a 1-year deal and all.

He sure was a let-down though throughout his career.  I remember this guy being touted as the 2nd coming and he never really shined much.  The epitome of "Size Matters Not" I guess.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2005, 09:56 AM »
Actually Jeff I have been eyeballing that.   ;D  My buddy has my chips since he's been playing like crazy the last few months w/ his office buddies.  I saw this on the Wings site but it says it's a pre-order scheduled for delivery in 12-15 weeks.  It says it's an Upper Deck product.  I'm totally buying it.  Just curious when it's actually due for release. 

I saw it over at Entertainment Earth with a due date of Oct/November 2005 so it should be out in time for Christmas.

And Jamie, don't you have a reaction to Paul Kariya?  At least your club finally did something...  while your club was signing him, my club was signing Andrei Zyuzin.   ::)

I mean, he's a fine defensemen and everything, but where's our free agency superstar (or at least has-been superstar)?   :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2005, 01:44 PM »
He sure was a let-down though throughout his career.  I remember this guy being touted as the 2nd coming and he never really shined much.  The epitome of "Size Matters Not" I guess.

I don't think the holdout with Quebec did him any favors at all.  Lots of guys in the league weren't impressed with that behaviour and it made him a bit of a target.  I'd go so far as to suggest a couple of his concussions are direct results of the holdout.  He also gave up the opportunity to get another year in without all the pressure, something he seemed so badly to want exposure to in a larger market.  Still, Pierre Page, my favorite general manager of all time.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2005, 09:16 PM »
Big news for today will be just resignings:

Calgary resigns Kiprusoff.
Ottaw resigns Spezza.

Lots of talk about Philly and Pittsburgh, but the Senators are looking pretty good again too.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2005, 10:58 PM »
So what do you guys think of the new shoot out rule to prevent tie games?  I've never been a big fan of them in international hockey, but I'm being optimistic for the new year.

It appears they will keep the previous rule change of the winner getting 2 points and the loser in either overtime (or the shootout) will get 1 point.

I'm curious to see how this will affect teams' efforts to break a tie during overtime or the final few minutes of the 3rd period.  Will they just try to kill time to allow their snipers the chance to win, or will they increase their efforts to score to avoic the shootout?  Should be interesting to see.

NHL.com has a great summary of the rule changes and some good diagrams too.

"Following a scoreless five-minute overtime, three players from each team participate in the order the coach selects.

Each team takes three shots. The team with the most goals after those six shots is the winner.

If the score remains tied, the shootout will proceed to a "sudden death" format.

Regardless the number of goals scored during the shootout portion of overtime, the final score recorded for the game will give the winning team one more goal than the score at the end of regulation time."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2005, 12:30 AM »
Ties are a killer for sports I think and the NHL needs every bit of help it can get to make their game exciting and interesting to EVERYONE.  Ties are a bigger drag then on the slumping NHL than other sports I believe, so I'm ok with the shoot-out format.

If the NHL would enforce rules in general though, I think you'd see a hell of a lot less ties, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I'm optomistic with the new format and will watch anxiously to see how it's received.

In Pittsburgh news we got Leclaire...  Who if he remains healthy will be another big contributor to the offense.  He's got the hockey curse of back problems though, soooooo hmmm.  Pitt's all-too-familiar with that injury (hell, I even have back problems from my days playing...  I think it comes with the game).

I wonder how much Rechi being here, and being a close friend of Lemieux's, got us to push for Le Claire?