Author Topic: NHL 2005-06  (Read 86659 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2005-2006 Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2005, 05:44 PM »

In Pittsburgh news we got Leclaire...  Who if he remains healthy will be another big contributor to the offense.  He's got the hockey curse of back problems though, soooooo hmmm.  Pitt's all-too-familiar with that injury (hell, I even have back problems from my days playing...  I think it comes with the game).

I wonder how much Rechi being here, and being a close friend of Lemieux's, got us to push for Le Claire? 

LeClair (no 'e').  Bummed that the Flyers had to let him go, but business is business.   Will still wear my #10 Jersey proudly, though.  If healthy, the Pens got a hell of player and an around great guy.  I think you'll enjoy seeing him plant himself in front of the net, while defenders try to push him away and him still scoring a goal. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2005, 11:10 PM »
Ties are a killer for sports I think and the NHL needs every bit of help it can get to make their game exciting and interesting to EVERYONE.  Ties are a bigger drag then on the slumping NHL than other sports I believe, so I'm ok with the shoot-out format.

If the NHL would enforce rules in general though, I think you'd see a hell of a lot less ties, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I'm optomistic with the new format and will watch anxiously to see how it's received.

Sigh, again, I'll disagree.  Not in general, just from a purist point of view.  It's the same mentality from soccer as viewed by the US as hockey.  Nil-nil is boring in the US.  Not for hockey in Canada (though high scoring games are more entertaining, low scoring ties are not necessarily boring) or Europe for soccer (de rigeur). 

That said, for the NHL to have any measurable success in it's desired markets ( the US >:() it's going to have to have 8-6 hockey games with dancing girls in the stands ::)  Ok, that's harsh, but yeah, it needs more scoring. 

So while the purist in me screams blasphemy, being in an IHL/AHL town with shootouts, they're actually fun and do something tremedously important - they keep people in the seats until the end of the game.  Shoot-outs are cool (though I steadfastly think they have absolutely zero place in playoff hockey anywhere, any league) and fun for the fans. 

As JesseJ indicates though, simply enforcing the rules through the season would probably take us back to the glory days of the NHL, the Lemieux/Gretzky years, prior to the dreaded TRAP.  That's all they have to do.  Penalize the teams for hooking and interference and the game is one heck of a lot more entertaining and the new rules only enhance that.

Busy day of signings, here's the "highlights":

Sabres resign Briere
Canadiens sign Koivu
Preds agree to terms with Legwand
Pens-LeClair
St. Louis signs Brewer
San Jose signs Marleau, Sturm
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2005, 02:40 AM »
I don't think you're disagreeing with me so much as we both see the necessary evil that is the shoot-out.  It's exciting.

I agree though, I think I'd drop shoot-outs in the play-offs.  Play till the next day if you ahve to, but no shoot-out.  It's less sporting.

I like the way they're divying the points though....   1 for the loser, 2 for the winner...  That's all good.

I think the shoot-out's ok though, and I am a purist too, but in general I think ALL sports are boring when they end in a tie.  There's a sense of dissatisfaction when I walk away from the arena without a winner.  To me that's the only area we maybe disagree on that Brent.  It's just my footing on competitive sports though...  Ties make me feel like I got cheated to an extent (irregardless if they're 0 - 0 or 8 - 8).

I think it'll help Canadian and U.S. markets though, with having the shoot-out...  But ultimately, the point remains that simple rules implementation and enforcement would make the game what it was.  They ought to be trying that before altering the game dramatically on any level.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Tampa resigns LeCavalier.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Yay!

Do they still have to deal with St. Louis too?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 04:17 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Yay!

Do they still have to deal with St. Louis too?

I don't think so, at least not for this year.  He doesn't appear on the free agent listing.  I think he's there for this year anyway.  Still a couple of big names left on that list.

Curtis Joseph is off to the Coyotes.  Maybe now we'll finally see a Phoenix sportspick from hockey :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2005, 04:55 PM »
After I asked here I found an article that says they're in contact with St. Louis' agent and are tryign to sign him to a multi-year deal.  So I guess he's under contract for the moment, but will be a free agent next year if they don't lock him up - which I'm confiden that they will.  Khabibulin's leaving should leave room for pretty much everyone to get taken care of...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Yup, and they got a good deal on Vinny too, much better than they would have under the old CBA. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Meanwhile, the MN Wild signed... 

right wing Joey Tetarenko.

::)

I guess Modano was our only chance at a free agent.  Maybe we can get Phil Housley to come out of retirement to play for us?   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2005, 05:17 PM »
I guess Modano was our only chance at a free agent.  Maybe we can get Phil Housley to come out of retirement to play for us?   :P

Get Selanne with Housley.  That's the only time either was worth a lot ;)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2005, 05:28 PM »
Haven't weighed in here in a while, but looks like the Preds are just about finished setting their roster after taking care of Sullivan and Hamhuis yesterday. Erat and Hall are our only two RFA's left to sign, and it sounds like they're in the process of ironing out multi-year deals for both of them.

Never did mention how happy I was to see us sign Kariya. If he is truly healthy I think he's going to be an amazing pick up. Should make for one hell of a PP unit, and some seriously speedy lines. Now if we could just end up dealing for a decent Center, I'd feel very good about this season  ;D

Brent, you're embracing Nashville this year right?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2005, 05:33 PM »
Never did mention how happy I was to see us sign Kariya.

No, you never did... and some of us have been anxiously waiting your reply.

And Jamie, don't you have a reaction to Paul Kariya?  At least your club finally did something... 

I thought you didn't love me anymore...  :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2005, 05:34 PM »

Brent, you're embracing Nashville this year right?

Anybody but the Coyotes.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2005, 12:37 AM »
Mogliny signed with the Devils.  I suppose his best days are behind him.

Should be some interesting news out of Edmonton shortly, perhaps Ottawa as well.  The Sens probably have the biggest name still outstanding - Marian Hossa. 

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2005, 05:53 AM »

NHL games will air on OLN

LAME. I don't think I even get that channel. >:(Why couldn't ESPN have signed the deal, I'll bet ratings will improve this year with the rule changes and the balance of power split up more. Not to mention the addition of more division games which will make the rivalries that much more intense. **** Bettman, I blame this on him. >:(
"This is the way."