Author Topic: NHL 2005-06  (Read 86940 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2005-2006 Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 3, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Pittsburgh impresses me.  There are, of course, two big questions: will Lemieux stay healthy and is Crosby for real.

I look at it this way:
1.  Lemieux, unlike Keith Kachunk, actually loves the game and wants to be healthy and fit.  He seems to appreciate something more than the paycheck (cheque for the Canadians) and genuinely loves the game.  I wouldn't have drafted him like Jason did in our draft, I think the risk is too big.  But the upside is huge.  As opposed to some guys in the league, the year off was probably huge for him and he used it.  I hope he stays healthy, but he is, relative to the NHL, old. 

2.  Look, you could put a pylon like me out on the ice with Lemieux and LeClair.  Add Gonchar on the power play and if I had the (lack of) brains to stand in front of the net, I'd be good for 60 points in a year.  Sidney Crosby is no pylon.  I think he's young and his build is maybe going to improve with a couple of years, but this kid is going to get Gretzky-esque no hitting treatment for the most part.  But he's had guys running him already anyway and he'll be good regardless.  I'm not sure he'll pot 100 points in his first season, but he might. 

As with most other teams, I'm not sure how goaltending is going to factor in.  Thibault's dependable, but how dependable we'll have to wait and see.  But I like the team overall and I think there's enough holes on other teams for the Pens to finish high.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: October 4, 2005, 01:45 AM »
D's probably a bigger issue for the Pens than Goaltending at this point, but like I was telling my gf Sunday night (she's not a hockey fan), Thibault's not a cup winner in my eyes...  I really look more at the young guy in Fleury being the possible winner...  Though Thibault played well Sunday, he showed his typical  "oh god" moments in the obligatory shoot-out at the end of the game...  Gave up 2 5-hole goals and the 3rd one he gave up he was pulled out of his shorts on it.  It was sad, and yes it's nothing to judge the guy on, but he's also never had the greatest track record.  Like you said Brent, he's dependable, but he's not the guy I'd think could take them to the finals really and that is worrisome.  I'm thinking ahead (far ahead) of course though.

The D's where I see more of a problem than goaltending though...  We've always been a weak team defensively (even in the cup years), and we still sort of are.  I think we have a young D though and that's positive as the season drags on.

I tell ya what though Brent, watching them last night the LeClaire, Recchi, Crosby line could possibly be one of the most offensively devastating lines in the NHL this season I think (speaking with some bias of course).  They were fluid, spot-on passing, and Crosby looked like a veteran the way he was connecting passes.  He was taking bumps too but he's a speedy little ****, moving in and out of the crease, around the net, through the slot...  He was literally all over the ice a lot of the night.

Lemieux and Palfy on the #1 line (how do you differentiate that though?) was just a thing of beauty.  Seeing Lemieux connect a pass through 2 caps defenders and right on Palfy's tape was just a thing of beauty.  Made the Caps look like a college team and it was just so fluid and smooth.

Lemieux's health scares me but I think he'll be good.  I agree that I think he took the off-year seriously and worked on himself for the next year he knew was likely coming.  He looked so sharp last night, was taking (and giving) hits all night, was winding up on shots (which he never does if he's even remotely unhealthy), and was skating real hard.  He had a ton of icetime too (I don't have specifics but just watching the game I could tell he played a lot of time, and long shifts by my estimations).

I'm so geeked about this season that I'm actually falling into a reactionary depression that I'm just too old to play at any competitive level...  Well I'm not "Old" but my body's not what it was and I know I can't keep up with guys my age and younger who have substantially healthier lives.  It's all I can do to struggle through the weeks as it is much less if I was trying to play again.  I want to so bad though...  I'm gonna settle for shooting the puck around with the kids and getting to as many games as I can afford.  :)

Brent, if you would happen to make a trip to Pittsburgh (one never knows) you gotta head out to a game with me man!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 4, 2005, 10:04 PM »
I would love to see a game in Pittsburgh, that would be very cool. 

I just spent some time going through the TSN.ca listings for all the teams and I stick by my guns that I don't see the Sharks being a top three team.  We'll see, but I suppose a lot has to do with the year Nabokov has.

And what was Washington thinking :o  Ovechkin should be good, real good.  The question is who is he going to play with?  Wow.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 5, 2005, 03:33 AM »
Rule #1 - always keep your head up when playing against Scott Stevens.   ;)

The following is a little video of the top hits made made by Stevens:

http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=7795

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #109 on: October 5, 2005, 08:49 AM »
I just spent some time going through the TSN.ca listings for all the teams and I stick by my guns that I don't see the Sharks being a top three team.  We'll see, but I suppose a lot has to do with the year Nabokov has.

Some people I know are BANKING on Nabokov to have an excellent year...  especially those people who took him in their fantasy hockey league.  :-[
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 5, 2005, 08:05 PM »
The thing I don't get is how people see Nashville taking the division over Detroit.  They added Kariya, but what else?  They aren't that deep.  They have speed but a lot of the things that helped them win (the clutch and grab style) won't fly this season.  The rule changes benefit a team like Detroit with tons of talent. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 5, 2005, 08:24 PM »
Well, I think the thing people are thinking of with Detroit is age - they have lots of senior guys.  Add that to the expectation of the rules being enforced favoring a fast, open game and folks expect younger Nashville to prosper.  I guess.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 5, 2005, 09:30 PM »
Well, I think the thing people are thinking of with Detroit is age - they have lots of senior guys.  Add that to the expectation of the rules being enforced favoring a fast, open game and folks expect younger Nashville to prosper.  I guess.

And Detroit doesn't have speed?  Every year we hear how old Detroit is and they always kick butt.  They are killing the Blues 2nite.  The Blues can't match the pace.  People just love to hate the Wings.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 5, 2005, 10:10 PM »
THe blues?  With Keith Tka-chunk?  Where's the surprise in that?   :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 5, 2005, 10:57 PM »
I thought there weren't going to be tie games anymore? 

I could just be reading something wrong but the ESPN box score for the Ottawa game says it's gone final at 2-2.  What are the actual rules now?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2005100521

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 5, 2005, 11:09 PM »
You're just slightly too quick on the draw.  It lists Ottawa as a 3-2 winner.  Overtime then shootouts??

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 5, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Yeah, I see that now - the ESPN boxscore must have been jacked up.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: October 5, 2005, 11:44 PM »
If I'm not mistaken it goes OT, Shoot-out, and back to OT if necessary...  *shrugs*

Pens got spanked, that sucked.  They had the Devils number early and should've won that game but didn't capitalize.  Crosby played pretty great though overall as did some others, but once they let Brodeur beat them mentally he just handled the game smoothly the rest of the night and they were lucky to get that one goal much less what they needed to tie it up.

Lots of penalties and I for one am glad...  As feared though our D and goaltending are our weak points, at least judging by tonight's game.  The O did everything right but crash the net/park someone in front...  They were explosive and pounding NJ with shots but just didn't get it done and it bit them in the ass ultimately.  A thoroughly disappointing loss for me. :(  Oh well, Canes on Friday.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 6, 2005, 12:01 AM »
Kings sure blew it 2nite.  4-0 lead...5-4 loss.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: October 6, 2005, 12:51 AM »
Oh man...  There's a kick in the ding-ding.